Avernum runs slow

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum runs slow
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #0
I've got a nice shiny new Macbook with 1 GB of RAM. I also have a new Intel iMac. I used to have a 400 Mhz iBook with 192 MB RAM. I've played Avernum 3 on all three (separate downloads) and they pretty much run at the same speed: slooooow.

By slow I mean there's a slight delay when I click, and any graphic that is supposed to move fast (javelin, firebolt, other spells) moves with about the speed of dial-up internet download. I play it with no other apps running, I turn off background noises and special effects, I try different resolution configurations, I try running it out of full screen mode... nothing works.

Avernum works fine, Avernum 2 is slightly slower, and Avernum 4 is awesome. Why would Avernum 3 run slow on my Mac's, and can it be fixed?

--------------------
And that, my Leige, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped. -Sir Bedevere
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Did you check preferences? There is a setting for machine speed although the default should be ok and the same for all the games.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #2
often colliding software components can cause problems like that.
try using diskwarrior or conflictcatcher to check your hd.
but then, thats quite improbable if its the same on all 3 macs.
what else... uh... having the game installed on an almost full hd or hd-section could be the cause.
ah, what do i know.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
An article from TidBits on Conflict Catcher:
Wanted: Conflict Catcher for Mac OS X

Here's the good news. Mac OS X doesn't suffer from the same sort of conflicts that Mac OS 9 did. You will seldom, if ever, find that installing a new piece of software causes some other program to act in an unnatural, demon-possessed fashion. Apple promised that level of reliability, and they delivered.

I've also noticed that playing Starcraft on my Mac's, the movie cut-scenes run slower than I would expect. It's not the CD either.

Am I the only one with this problem?
So is there anyone out there with the same problem?

EDIT: I'm gonna try running A3 in Parallels, Win XP Pro. Theories anyone?

[ Friday, August 11, 2006 04:24: Message edited by: Apollyon ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3188
Profile Homepage #4
Okay, now that I'm on my MacBook, I created a quick party and ran to the bandit cave to test out the speed of the game in XP (which I can already see by walking around that it's much better). By far the slowest action in OS X was Bolt of Fire, so I tested it on a bandit. BAM! Flew across the screen like lightning and he crumpled to the ground.

Then I got semi-excited and I opened up A3 in OS X and try Bolt of Fire on a rat... Still slow. I don't understand it.

And I thought these games were made for Mac... :rolleyes:

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Jeff is a self-taught programmer, which is a nice way of saying he's not very good at it. Sometimes things that work OK on his computer act a little funny on other people's.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!