Spells from Exile

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spells from Exile
Apprentice
Member # 272
Profile #0
I haven't dug out the Exile games since buying and playing Avernum, but... some things feel missing. Like, field-type spells (press spacebar to rotate), and mindduelling. I absolutely loved mindduelling. Unique, you don't see that in most run-of-the-mill RPGs. Even though at low levels it would hurt you.

Variety!

--------------------
" In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! "
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
Most people are in agreement, but the new spell system is here to stay. A4 does offer some compromise and brings back the area effect spells, but the actual number of spells is quite limited.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #2
There's the big area spells, identify, food, scry monster, quickfire(never used, but seemed cool) spells that are missed.

But there is also the nonsensical pure glee of looking through a spell list of 140 spells in Exile 3 as opposed to ~40 in Avernum 3. Exile3 had 10 per level, 7 levels, mage and priest. I have a copy of the help file.

Nevermind that I dont use fewer spells in any given fight, and that lvl 1-2-3 serves almost the same purpose. I'm just a sucker for huge oversized spell lists.

I'm happy area spells are back in A4. Question: is it still possible to sometimes summon powerfull mages that in turn summon wimpy wolves?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
I don't think it's possible to summon mages. I certainly never got the exponentially increasing summon problem.

—Alorael, who noticed that enemies are more likely to summon help that actually can hurt the party. Fortunately, the degree of summon spam was turned down from earlier versions.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #4
Not exonential as such, but in A3 there was a few time a summoned mage, or simulacrum'ed(?) slith priest, would use wimpy summoning spells. Which I thought was incredibly cool, even if not always usefull.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
I hate it when the vampire in BoA's VoDT summons three more vampires. Which, in turn, sometimes summon ogre mages. Time to reload...

Dikiyoba.