Removing "drunk" effect

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Removing "drunk" effect
Apprentice
Member # 272
Profile #0
Avernum 3, mild spoiler.

I'm at Erox and decided to do things the hard way (i.e. drink the ale behind the counter as suggested by the NPC sitting there, Terak). It gives you the drunk status, and a bunch of Rakshasa (sp?) immediately jump you.

Now, if my party is not drunk I can totally wipe the floor with them. However, being drunk seems to be a very heavy penalty (fighters keep missing) plus none of the curing spells seem to sober up my characters - not even "Divine Restoration" at lv3.

Any ideas for sobering them up? In the meanwhile I'm just going to reload, bless my party and summon some help before triggering that mess, but that's just... cheap ;)

--------------------
" In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! "
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
As far as I know, the only thing you can do is wait for it to wear off.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #2
Time is the only thing that cures everything anytime, maybe the time is not perfect but it will be cured!

Try to hid in one of the inn rooms and wait for the status to wear off, it´s the same if you drink wine in the real life, it always takes some time to be normal! ;)

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
I don't know this for sure, but have you ever tried things like "unshackle mind"? Curing and healing won't help (that means the spells healing and curind and devine restoration don't help), because being drunk is a mental state, not a physical one.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 272
Profile #4
Heck yeah, I tried all spells that even remotely seemed related (besides the obviously not, like Light). The only thing I didn't do was chug potions, darn, forgot about those - my healer was loaded down with a bunch of exotics like Bliss Elixir.

Drunkenness wore off probably 10+ rounds after I finished them off. It wasn't a particularly tough fight, had decent resistances and enough spellpoints to keep health up. It was just annoying to watch my group miss all the time (and every extra round the Raks were still alive meant they kept summoning more monsters to join in the fun :P ).

Not that I disagree with how being afflicted with "drunk" affects your party :) Quite realistic - apart from the fact that you can still get those complicated spell chants and gestures correct while zonked :eek:

It'd be a ton of fun if you couldn't cast spells while drunk...

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 05:50: Message edited by: Mikami Aufeya ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Mikami Aufeya:

apart from the fact that you can still get those complicated spell chants and gestures correct while zonked :eek:
Practice, probably. With enough experience, a spell comes as naturally as tying your shoe-laces (not that tying one's shoe-laces is a particularly easy task while drunk).

That said, doesn't being drunk have an effect similar to dumbfounding? I could've sworn there was a magic penalty as well...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #6
On the other hand, against Rakshasa, it doesn't really matter if you can't cast a spell to save your life. Not even literally.
Apprentice
Member # 272
Profile #7
I know they're magic resistant (immune?) but you forgot buff spells as well as healing :P My party is strong enough to take a little beating from a measly Rak ambush, although without magic it'd get messy after a couple of rounds of just standing there.

Fighting drunk should be easier than attempting to cast spells drunk :D

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 15:29: Message edited by: Mikami Aufeya ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
The only spell that can hurt the Rakshasa is Cloud of Blades. It's highly effective.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 497
Profile #9
I know of no way to cure drunkenness, but that's probably because it isn't considered a 'bad' status effect. I know it reduces your to-hit percentage, but I'm not sure if it also reduces enemies' to-hit against you (a la drunken boxer).

Still, multiple blessings will counter the effect; you'll come out hitting as well or better than normal, but obviously not as well as when legitimately triple-blessed.

To make it more realistic, I think it would be rather interesting for spells like Light to cause damage to your party . . . anyone who's ever been really hammered will know what I'm talking about.

--------------------
Evil comes in many forms. I am but one of them.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #10
If you cast "light", why do you think something like a floating ball of flames will be with you? ;)

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!