Carbonized Avernum Public Beta

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Carbonized Avernum Public Beta
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
We have just released Avernum v2.0 for Macintosh as a public beta. This new version is fully Carbonized and will run natively on OS X.

You can download it at:

ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/mac/Avernum.demo.v20.bin.

If you try it out and have any problems, please let us know at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com. A Carbonized Avernum 2 should follow in a week or so.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #1
Can please somebody explain to me what is a carbonized version?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
It runs natively in OS X, as Jeff said.

—Alorael, who imagines that this is less than enthralling news for the Windows users. For Mac users it's very nice.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6622
Profile #3
Yay!

Note that some web browsers (such as Firefox) will include the final . in the URL that Jeff listed, and will result in a "file not found" error. To avoid this, copy the link to the address bar and delete the final period.

I ran the demo for a few minutes without problems.

Will there be a carbonized installer? I have my full version Avernum install CD, but it's installer requires Classic (which I haven't installed).

Cheers,
- Nyagase
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by nyagase:

Note that some web browsers (such as Firefox) will include the final . in the URL that Jeff listed, and will result in a "file not found" error. To avoid this, copy the link to the address bar and delete the final period.
That's not a problem that would be particular to one's browser. The error resides in coding of the page itself. Jeff accidentally put the period in his link.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
quote:

Will there be a carbonized installer?
What do you mean? The installer from the download is OS X native. Your CD's installer isn't, because you got it before the game was Carbonized.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Secular Right:

It runs natively in OS X, as Jeff said.
If that's all Carbonization is, why does it need a fancy name?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 6622
Profile #7
quote:
What do you mean? The installer from the download is OS X native. Your CD's installer isn't, because you got it before the game was Carbonized.
Yes, but the download is for the non-registered demo. Is it possible to use the non-carbonized full version on the CD to play the full version of Avernum 1? Or should I be contacting spiderweb software for a new registration key? (ie ignore the old CD entirely)

I'm currently happily playing A4, so it isn't a pressing issue... but this is the first thing I thought about when I heard that there was going to be a carbonized version of A1 and A2. I'm sure that other people will want to know the same thing.

Cheers,
- Graham
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Carbon, if I recall, is the name of the runtime environment on OS X. It pretty much handles running the application. To carbonize means to make it suitable for the Carbon runtime environment.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
quote:

Is it possible to use the non-carbonized full version on the CD to play the full version of Avernum 1?
Of course. It'll just be in Classic mode. If you want to play it natively in OS X, you'll need to download the Carbonized version and get a new registration key.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #10
"If you want to play it natively in OS X, you'll need to download the Carbonized version and get a new registration key."

Almost. We will release a patch, so that you can upgrade your old Avernum to the OSX-native version without needing to reregister.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #11
Jeff, if you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do when Apple goes to Intel?

Will there we another recompiling of old Spiderweb games? I certainly hope so. I still play the old Avernums, Geneforge, and the odd Exile or Nethergate game now and then.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
I meant for right now, at least.

Will our old saved games still work? I think I remember that the Carbonized A3 didn't work well with the Classic A3 saves.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Given the low requirements of Spiderweb's games, I think Rosetta will probably handle games written for OS X but not Intel. It's the ones that never make it past Classic that might get lost in transition.

—Alorael, who would keep an eye on the various OS 9 emulators for Mac just in case. Or keep an eye on the possibility of running Windows on an Intel chip to play the Windows version of older Spiderweb games, as unappealing as that may be.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #14
"Jeff, if you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do when Apple goes to Intel? "

I will make sure they work. But if, as I think they've said, Carbonized games work fine on the new platform, I hope to not have to rework everything. Making new releases of every old game in our catalog would devour a huge chunk of time I can't spare.

If they don't work on the new platform, I'll have to redo them, I guess.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #15
We have just released Avernum 2 v2.0 for Macintosh as a public beta. Like the Avernum v2.0 update, this new version is fully Carbonized and will run natively on OS X.

You can download it at:

ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/mac/Avernum2.demo.v20.bin

If you try it out and have any problems, please let us know at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
So the only thing that is changed in this new version, is that it runs natively on OS X, nothing else? Its only the demo version, right?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Yes.

—Alorael, who hates coming up with signatures for single word posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #18
Given that I doubt Spidweb games use any kind of special chip instructions (Altivec, etc), it seems likely that a simple recompile in XCode would allow for the games to run completely natively in OS X-Intel.
Having said that, Rosetta is likely to do a fine job...it won't really need the full speed of a Yonah chip to get its work done.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #19
Correction- I don't think a patch is necessary.

If you look under Macintosh HD > System Folder (9) > Preferences, you'll find Avernum 2 Prefs. Copy/drag it to:
Macintosh HD > users > [your user name] > Library > Preferences

And it'll be done like that.

EDIT: Bonus! Saved games still work too.

[ Tuesday, January 10, 2006 14:00: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00