what is your group make up?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what is your group make up?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1960
Profile #0
I've always fallen into the same group. I have 1 main melee, 1 back up with theif skills then 1 complete priest and 1 complete mage. I've never done anything different because they don't seem nearly as effective. What do you guys use?
Posts: 220 | Registered: Saturday, September 28 2002 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
I use one swordsman, one spearman (with one of these two also good with mechanics), one priest/archer, and one mage.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
My first two characters are like Icshi's, and my second two are identical mage/priests. Avernum 4 made me strongly consider rethinking this arrangement.

—Alorael, who always ponders making his casters into archers too. It never gets anywhere, though. That much magic takes a lot of skill points.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
My favorite setup for A1/A2 is a duo: pure fighter (both swords and spears) and a magic-user (both mage and priest) who eventually becomes a small-time fighter also.

For A3/BoA, I'm still deciding. I've been going with the default, but I've been trying to adapt without much success.

For A4, I like what I have right now, which is one fighter, one archer, one mage/archer and one priest.

[ Friday, November 25, 2005 12:44: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
Let's see... I forget what I used for A2 & 3. Nothing interesting, if I recall, though.

For BoA, I used a nearly-indestructible human fighter with some priest spells (enough to heal & cure himself), a nephil archer with a decent sword and some mage spells (enough to cast light & bolt of fire), a human mage with Morog's Scepter for some SP relief, and a slith priest with a decent spear and some points in Lethal Blow ('nuff said).

For A4, I find that a super-quick self-healing spear-wielding human fighter, a sword-wielding sharpshooting nephil archer, a pure human priest with nature lore and first aid, and a spear-wielding slith mage work the best. Much more specialized, but for a reason (A4 is tough...).

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #5
For most of the Avernum series, my favorite layout has been:

1: Nephil swordsman/archer with tool use.
2: Slith spearman/javlineer with first aid
3: Human priest with potion making/cave lore
4: Human mage with arcane lore.

Lately I've started giving my fighters a point or two of mage and priest so that they can heal /bless themselves, cast light, or cast Bolt of Fire.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #6
A single mage/priest. Add a fighter if necessary.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #7
Here goes:

In Avernum 2, since the Melee damage cap is so ludicrously low, I basically make everyone into massive magic monsters: everone has at least 13 points in both Mage and Priest Spells (although I try my darndest to get 18/18 with everyone), high Intelligence, and a fair measure of other useful stats: Cave Lore, Strength (to carry my phat loot), Endurance (you need HP, after all), Luck, Defense, and Hardiness (to reduce encumbrance from armor). Of course, all my characters have both the Natural Mage (casting in armor for the win) and Sickness Prone (to offset the XP penalty for Natural Mage) Traits.

In Avernum 3, it's the same thing, but 2 of my characters stop the Mage/Priest Spells at 12 or so, and instead focus a bit more on Melee (since you can do REAL damage with Melee in A3): I put the points I'd normally spend getting Mage/Priest Spells to 18 on Melee Weapons, Polearms, Assassination, Gymnastics, and Dexterity: that way, my "Melee Duo" still have all but 6 of the game's spells, and it gives me a viable backup plan for when I encounter Magic Immune critters (like Rakshasa or Doomguards).

Why do I do this? I like being powerful to the point of outrageousness. Plus it's amusing to get into a fight with virtually anything and have the ability to end the fight in one round, as each character unleashes their stupidly powerful Ice Lances/Lightning Spray/Fireblast/Arcane Blow spells. It's sad how much damage a character with 18 Mage Spells, 12 Intellect, and 9 Magery can do.
And I won't even get into how convientent it is when ALL your characters can cast Healing, War Blessing, Haste, Unshackle Mind, Mass Curing, Mass Healing, Fireblast, Ice Lances, Lightning Spray, Cloud of Blades, UNLOCK DOORS, and MOVE MOUNTAINS.

There's nothing you can't fight, and no obstacles can bar your way. Who needs to blow 75+ skill points on Tool Use when you have Level 2/3 Unlock Doors on every character and your resistances are so high (thanks to your Luck and high Mage/Priest/Intellect scores) that you can laugh off most trap damage (or cure it with Mass Curing/Healing)? How'd you like to take your end-game Party and be able to have a realistic chance at killing Erika in her tower (in A3)? She and her FOUR Doomguards laughed at my "balanced" Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Mage Party, but with my All Magic Party, I killed her. And her Doomguards. Without anyone dying.

Ok, sorry, done ranting. You should try an all Dual-uber-caster party sometime. It's fun being the most powerful quartet of mortals in the world of Avernum.

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
I forgot to mention that my spearman also weilds a crossbow. Handy for the occasional strategic shot into thick enemy ranks, especially when hasted.

But as far as make-up goes — well, only my lady cleric wears any. It would look silly on my barbarian swordsman, and my mage was teased badly enough at the Tower without that kind of thing going on.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

It would look silly on my barbarian swordsman
Woad.

My nephils don't wear makeup, but they enjoy having their fur curled/straightened and their claws sharpened and polished as much as the next anthropomorphic cat. The sliths buff their scales until they gleam.

—Alorael, who has found that the end of an Avernum game usually gives magic users ridiculous damage at the cost of only being able to launch a few volleys before some kind of magical refill is needed. Fighters may do less damage to fewer monsters, but they can keep doing it all day. (By the end of any Avernum, your fighters will be able to stand in the middle of a horde of angry enemies and laugh off blows that miss a lot.)
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #10
All you people that skimp out on tool use are in for a rude awakening very very soon.

I can not say more, but Jeff doesn't like you folks and wants to hurt you. He told me so in an email.

Your days are numbered.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #11
I wont say which enemies, but there are some enemies that connected regularly with my tank. 181% armor score, probably at least 80% hostile effect resistance, and gymnastics. And he got chewed up and spit out.

All I could say was, "OUCH!"

There are a few things that hit really hard. And magic doesn't do much to them either. It becomes a grueling slugfest.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
BoA was already a rude awakening for the Unlock Doors dependent. A4 is only moderately evil in comparison.

—Alorael, who had a particularly good time getting his entire party killed after clearing a nasty cave but before saving when he accidentally triggered a trap.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
Well, it's the same way in Blades of Avernum, at least.

That said, BoA's the only Avernum I play, and my party composition in that right now is a melee fighter, a pole fighter, an archer, and a mage/priest.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #14
You know, that is a really good point about spell casters running out of energy and fighters being able to continue to hack it out.

It really caused me to sit down and rethink some of my approach.

That is exactly my problem. Spell cost is staggering, and I have never burned through energy potions like I do now.

Making 4 spellcasters isn't the right solution either as I have discovered, because after one very very long and particularly grueling dungeon crawl, and I went in there with at least 50 energy potions, I found my self out of energy and up chocolate creek with out a popcicle stick.

Not a fun place to be. Four dedicated casters that could not conjure up some summons or blow the enemy to smithereens didn't last long.

I don't recall this ever happening to any of my Agents.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
Always:

1. Human- Knight, full armor shield plate etc, with long sword.

2. Slith- Pole wielder, full armor but no shield.

3. Human- Mage & Archer.

4. Nephilim- Priest, Archer, Trap disarming.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
I can proudly say that my build got me through A4 without requiring the use of a single energy potion. Now, granted, that's ridiculous, especially since I carried around every potion I found for the entire game, but it's something I can claim with pride.

—Alorael, who actually used no potions at all. It is a problem of his, and he's trying to work on it. He's managed to almost sip some gremlin wine, but he chickened out at the last second.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
I have the same problem with hoarding items. I save them for when there's absolutely no way to get by without them, and almost inevitably end up not needing them after all.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #18
Me horde unless stuff? Never! My current BoA party has, it turns out: 163.5 pounds of potions, 97 pounds of scrolls and wands, 118 pounds of spare hand to hand weapons, 199 pounds of spare bows and arrows, 166.5 pounds of herbs, and 144 pounds of spare armor. Luckily in BoA there's no penalty for carrying around so much heavy junk.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #19
I like blowing stuff up. I chug through potions like there is no tomorrow, and let loose with all the really fun fireworks. I can incinerate a huge mob in a single round usually.

I can make 400 energy disapear in no time at all and all I have to show for it are piles of charred remains and a few items here and there.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #20
I got a group that´s really easy to fight with and they are EXTREMELY deadly! So let´see what we have there:

1) A quick paladin with good heal powers and a heavy halberd;
2) a slith archmage with a slith spear and some good strength to use it;
3) an extremely cute healing girl with dagger, shield and good potion brewing skills;
4) and last but not least a strong berserker/archer with mostly sniper eyes!

That´s my perfect party, I hope you think that too! :cool:

[ Saturday, November 26, 2005 02:20: Message edited by: Slith Lord ]

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #21
The problem with gremlin wine is that it gets you so drunk you can't hit anything, even while it blesses/shields you.

On the other hand, it goes down easy, with a full and slightly sweet flavor, good with weird meat.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #22
I doodled with it at the beggining, but I always use the same party now. One Nephil swords man with nature lore. One Slith spearsman with tool use. Two Humans, one a mage with arcane lore, and another preist with first aid and potions.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Me horde unless stuff? Never! My current BoA party has, it turns out: 163.5 pounds of potions, 97 pounds of scrolls and wands, 118 pounds of spare hand to hand weapons, 199 pounds of spare bows and arrows, 166.5 pounds of herbs, and 144 pounds of spare armor. Luckily in BoA there's no penalty for carrying around so much heavy junk.
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I have the same problem with hoarding items. I save them for when there's absolutely no way to get by without them, and almost inevitably end up not needing them after all.
Item-hoarders, tremble in fear at the coming of Avernum 4! Jeff shall smite thee in a most foul and unpleasant way!

Seriously, my parties in BoA, A3 and A2 all carried about 20 wands that they never used, my fighters would all have 8 or so extra weapons and suits of armor, everyone had a ton of scrolls, my BoA archer carries a lot of unused ammo (thank you Alderague), everybody's potions account for a lot of weight (I just know those 60 healing potions will come in handy someday), and the parties' excess potion ingredients would seed a forest if planted.

My A4 party keeps maybe four wands (which do get used, since pyrotechnics that nobody can cast are fun), almost no excess armor, no excess ammo (though this is for a different reason than you'd think), and hardly any extra weapons (my archer keeps three swords on hand, but that's it). Granted, they still carry a ton of excess potion ingredients, but that's because they never have enough potions. Excess and greed are punished in A4, and the righteous shall tread lightly and survive. (Who wants to be weighed down by extra armor when you have to flee from a fight?)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6485
Profile #24
Beserker named IT :D
and rocks in everything
A Nephil archer
A slith Preist
A human Mage with thrown missles
on all avernums
I switch names a lot

--------------------
I love Spiderweb Software!!