The Tower of the Magi in A3 *SPOILERS*

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Tower of the Magi in A3 *SPOILERS*
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #0
Ok, I'm serious here. If you haven't played through A3 to (almost) the very end, STOP READING NOW.
Ok. I just fired up an old save of mine after reading through Draky's A3 FAQ on GameFAQs, and I noticed that he kept STRONGLY hinting that something would happen to the Tower of the Magi after Day 160. So, I bought a ton of mushrooms and Rested about 100 times until I got to day 161, walked my Party back to the Portal to the Tower, and...

It's all destroyed! Infested with Demons! All the NPCs that weren't part of the Triad nothing but bloodstains and mangled corpses laying about!

Shattered walls! Pits of fire/lava! Imps EVERYWHERE! Demons standing sentinel at every path that leads to the Portal in the tower's center!

A badly injured and harrassed Solberg telling you how Linda finally f'ed it up big time and all but summoned Hath-groth (sp) back into Avernum!

Man. It's one thing for a game to hint that trouble might be brewing... but to actually go ahead and have the WORST happen, to utterly destroy a bastion of power like the Tower of the Magi... to kill everyone present indiscriminately, as would be the case if a demonic invasion were to unexpectedly occur...

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I have to give massive Kudos to Jeff for doing it. To penalize you for lingering overlong in a very real, very disturbing, and impossible to fully rectify way. I think going back to the nuked Tower is one of the BEST Avernum moments of them all.

Uh, that's all. I just wanted to vent. Comments are, of course, welcome.

--------------------
Your training was extensive...
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
Was that a vent or a rave?

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #2
Both, I think. :P

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Marak:

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I have to give massive Kudos to Jeff for doing it. To penalize you for lingering overlong in a very real, very disturbing, and impossible to fully rectify way. I think going back to the nuked Tower is one of the BEST Avernum moments of them all.
Well, really, it probably would still have happened even if you'd already stopped the Vahnatai before it did -- the two events weren't related in any way. Chances are some other party of adventurers gets to clean up the mess while the party that stopped Rentar is busy enjoying their newfound fame.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #4
I think we're owed an explanation of how the new portal is created so quickly.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #5
I am playing avernum 3 for the first time (though i have finished Exile 3) and it seems like the days go much slower in Avernum than in Exile. I am no where near 160 and i have done all of the slimes/cockroaches/trog/giants/golem missions
Apprentice
Member # 6239
Profile #6
Well that whole scene is old news. But now that i think boout it is a little freaky. Does anyone important die there?

--------------------
if you cant dazzel them with your brilliance, baffel them with your bull****!!!!!

remember me????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
If you consider just about anybody but X and Solberg important, yes. Mahdavi and Linda are the notable deaths.

—Alorael, who very much likes the tragic romance "quest" that you can't complete, whether or not it's intentional.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #8
what romance quest?

what does x have to say about the tower etc?

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #9
its sad because i liked the magic tower even when it was just an isometric image in my computer when i was 10 and i didnt understand a word of english, anyway i though that the exile game was so charming...
i hope that the tower will be rebuilt in a4.
about that anyone knows how the movement system of A4 will be?avernum or geneforge way?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

about that anyone knows how the movement system of A4 will be?avernum or geneforge way?
This was already discussed in the A4 topic in General. It's going to be turn-based like Avernum but mouse-based like Geneforge.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
But also with keyboard movement.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #12
to the original writer....

FIND LINDA>>> KILL GRATH-HOTH!!!

Be strong... think of it as Delis after 36-40 days into the game

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Warrior
Member # 6395
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by mistica:

to the original writer....

FIND LINDA>>> KILL GRATH-HOTH!!!

Be strong... think of it as Delis after 36-40 days into the game

Yea except in Delis, a bunch of surface dwellers die (and I should add that it wasn't a sign of freedom and a way out of the dank cave of Avernum[UNLESS I'M MISSING SOMETHING])...

--------------------
Bandit: Hey Bob, why aren't we running after them?

Archer Bob: Cuz if dose n00bz run dey got no gud ****.

Bandit:oh

Bob: And that isn't a cave, its a dragon...
Apprentice
Member # 4902
Profile #14
What happens in Delis after 40 days? I don't think I've seen that... do the slimes overrun the whole town or something?

It was kind of fun to cut the Linda/Portal in half with the Blassed Athame (sp?). She certainly deserved some kind of messy end like that. Talk about not learning from the past...

--------------------
"This... is a tree!"
"...what's it for?"
...and confusing.
---Avernum 3 Intro
Apprentice
Member # 6337
Profile #15
quote:
its sad because i liked the magic tower even when it was just an isometric image in my computer when i was 10 and i didnt understand a word of english, anyway i though that the exile game was so charming...

OMG exactly the same for me! when I was a child, I growth with exile, I didn't understood anythings, and haven't gone far btu I liked it!

And the tower of magic was my favorite place, because it was the only one that was on every avernum so I took place in ether and put all my items there, the demons stelth them, my hanger is endless, I SWEAR FOR REVENGE! GREA HOTH, I KILLED YOU IN THE PAST!!! I WILL DO IT AGAIN!

--------------------
Hrrmrrr drew his sword and strode forth from the crude, poor mud hut in wich the nice feline creature lived with his great brethren. "Now I go forth!" he cried.

"Now I go, and slay humans, and butcher their children, and interfere with their farm animals foully. For that is my purpose on this Earth. And the Empire shall never get all of us, no matter what they do!" -THE FURY OF THE NEPHILIM (With slight changes by Retrency)