i do not understand AP penelty

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: i do not understand AP penelty
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #0
I was told that raising your defence reduces your encumburance....
Some of my fighters have defence up to 8 or so and still if you have encumburance=5 then you get AP penelty.

So i cannot use plate mail without a penelty or a can use chainmail and then no helmet, what do most people do??
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
I don't have this problem at all. My fighter ussually wears a steel helmet, steel plate mail, pants of speed (which I got in backwater calls, ussually he wears normal pants), gauntlets and a greatsword. Maybe you should try taking his shield?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Blessed items have much less encumbrance, and there are always magical items with 0 encumbrance.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
This is one of those things that was changed between Avernum 3 and BoA. In A3, it's actually Hardiness that reduces your encumbrance, not Defence.

[ Sunday, September 25, 2005 04:57: Message edited by: Atropine ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #4
i remember taht in exile i really had troubles with encumbrance, specially with the mages, basically cause i didn't understand encumbrance
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Atropine:

This is one of those things that was changed between Avernum 3 and BoA. In A3, it's actually Hardiness that reduces your encumbrance, not Defence.
Thankyou, i think that will help me alot, after Avernum 1 and 2 i decided that Hardiness was useless and never have put like no points in it.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

i remember taht in exile i really had troubles with encumbrance, specially with the mages, basically cause i didn't understand encumbrance
Mages should have the skill Natural Mage if you want them to wear any kind of armour at all, since they will not be able to cast anything above Slow if they have one level of encumberance.

Plus it gives them a bonus to spell casting anyway.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

[QBMages should have the skill Natural Mage if you want them to wear any kind of armour at all, since they will not be able to cast anything above Slow if they have one level of encumberance.
Plus it gives them a bonus to spell casting anyway.[/QB]
I had 9 years by then, and i don´t even know a little of english in that time...but well now i understand it :D
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #8
so,anyone know how works the anatomy skill?
is just for the absolutely useless first aid or it work for kill better some monsters too?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Anatomy lets you do a little extra damage against humanoid monsters, like nephilim, sliths, ogres, or Empire soldiers.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

so,anyone know how works the anatomy skill?
is just for the absolutely useless first aid or it work for kill better some monsters too?

First aid isn't useless at all! I for the first time used it now, while playing Bahs, and could easily fully heal my warriors who had 150 health pints to heal. Try to do that with a healing potion, without having the use all the potions first!

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
I don't think anyone here suggested that healing potions were terribly useful, either. Sure, I could drink a Healing Elixir, but I could also just cast Healing to do better than that for like 2 SP.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #12
well the healing potions were very more useful in a1, where yhe heal spell sucked, it only heal for 40 in 3 level!in A3 about 150! that is a lot of difference!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #13
That's got to be because there was no kind of "Major Heal" spell (in-between Minor Heal, Heal, and Revive) like in Exile.

Now there's just Heal, and Divine Restoration, but at different levels.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

I don't think anyone here suggested that healing potions were terribly useful, either. Sure, I could drink a Healing Elixir, but I could also just cast Healing to do better than that for like 2 SP.
Yes, I would have done the same, but try to do that when both your mage and priest have an SP of 0 and 1. It wouldn't work quite easily, would it.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Structured Water:

Anatomy lets you do a little extra damage against humanoid monsters, like nephilim, sliths, ogres, or Empire soldiers.
It's also quite expensive though, and in Avernum 3 especially, when you hit the damage cap early on, it just doesn't make sense to go for it.

BoA makes it all a lot better.

First Aid though... it can be useful, but only if you have no energy potions or alchemical ingrediants. Otherwise, as Imban observed, it's easier to cast Heal. Plus, heal is guarenteed to restore HP. First Aid can kill you. Not too clever when that happens either.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #16
i dont like first aid, the first time i used it i didn'y knew that it could damage someone, well i used it to heal my warrior and...he died!
i had to reload the game and then i had to pass the entire dungeon again! :mad: