Good Avernum 3 party?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Good Avernum 3 party?
Apprentice
Member # 6259
Profile #0
What's a good, unusual party for Avernum 3 that has no trouble finishing the game and can take advantage of the games perks and items? Thanks.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #1
If you want a challenge, then go for a singleton. Are you replaying the game, or do just want an unusual party to play it for the first time? 'Cause if you are replaying it, singleton is definitely a fun challenge. I'll warn you, though, some things are very hard, like getting enough nature or arcane lore to identify items and open the caches.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
A very fun party that can roll through the game is a 2PC party with a Slith fighter-priest and a Nephil mage-priest.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6259
Profile #3
I don't think I am looking for quite as much of a challenge as singleton. I have never finished the game although I have gotten pretty far. Any 3 or 4 character suggestions?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
One that's somewhat traditional but a little unusual is a swordsman, a polearm/archer, and two mage/priests.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2829
Profile #5
My fav is still a Human swordsman (Dex focus), Sslith polearm (Str), Human mage (Int), Nephil priest (Int) (Avernum 1-3, as it only has 4 PCs...).

This allows you to benefit from most encounters with bipeds and keeps everyone alive when you can't reason with people. Also, I use the custom for all classes and do not rely on the defaults.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Kel's suggested party is my favorite party, pretty much. If you make a mage, you might as well make it a priest at the same time. What you do with the two beefy hack and slashers is your own business.

—Alorael, who usually makes a sword guy and a polearm guy, then arbitrarily assigns one to be the archer and Tool Use repository and the other to be the outdoorsy type and often the Arcane Lore repository.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Increditable:

Kel's suggested party is my favorite party, pretty much. If you make a mage, you might as well make it a priest at the same time. What you do with the two beefy hack and slashers is your own business.

—Alorael, who usually makes a sword guy and a polearm guy, then arbitrarily assigns one to be the archer and Tool Use repository and the other to be the outdoorsy type and often the Arcane Lore repository.

Ditto, 100%.

What's better than 1 Mage starting with Haste, and 1 Priest starting with Blessings?
2 Mage/Priests starting with both :D

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
The advantage isn't actually that great, because a lot of the time I find myself wanting one mage and one priest. The real benefits are those times when extreme zapping can save the day, two characters absolutely need healing immediately. The latter especially comes up a lot, but it also isn't the entire reason for making characters good at both.

So what is the reason? Energy. You can't boost either mage or priest skill as high if you're boosting them both, but the combined total will be higher than the single total, which means you'll be running around with more spell energy to burn.

—Alorael, who hates potions, resting, and all other sane means of conserving energy. Having more of it is therefore a very necessary thing for him.
Apprentice
Member # 6259
Profile #9
I tried to use the 2 man party of fighter priest and mage priest. What skills/attributes do they need? And is that better than 2 mage priests?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #10
The 2 mage/priests was in reference to PART of a 4-character party, accompanied by 2 melee characters.

It would be a harder 2-character party to play, pretty much for the sole reason that you lack melee. Nuking or running your way through dungeons is tedious at best. Potions are "teh suck".

To answer Alorael's question (regardless of probably rhetoric as he gave his own answer) I like to buff my melee characters. It is particularly enjoyable, to make god-warriors, then just pick off any stragglers with the odd Flame Bolt. Offensive Spells tend to come into play when there are excessive ranged or caster enemies.

I am a traditionalist. Augmented hack'n'slash all the way!

--------------------
You say, "hello"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Personally, my favorite duo is a simple brute fighter and a mage/priest. It's pretty straightforward, and it's not nearly as difficult as a singleton.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Justin Y.:

I tried to use the 2 man party of fighter priest and mage priest. What skills/attributes do they need? And is that better than 2 mage priests?
Start them off with enough priest spells so that both can cast War Blessing and one can cast Repel Spirit and Smite.

As for character traits, go for Fast on Feet for both, and give the mage/priest Natural Mage.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6259
Profile #13
Thanks Drakefyre. If I make them custom what points do they get respectively? I don't want them to overlap in specialization.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
A custom character has no default skills, but gets 65 skill points that you can spend on anything you want. Experiment a little and see what works best.

[ Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:49: Message edited by: Laudanum ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6259
Profile #15
Cool, I did it. But for my fighter/priest should I put points into both pole weapons AND melee weapons? He is a slith so I was using a spear but I bought a fine waveblade and it does alot better. If I should stick with pole I will reload and not buy the waveblade. Thanks.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
It's best to stick with investing skill points in a single weapon type from the start. In Avernum 3, damage is capped at 199, so you'll eventually do 199 damage to everything no matter what weapon you're using. As such, it doesn't actually make a huge difference which weapon type you use. (Pole weapons are somewhat better in terms of damage, but they're mostly two-handed.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Once you can do 199 damage with rocks and sticks, the added abilities of your weapons become more important. I'm generally more impressed by the swords than the polearms. Very few of the latter stand out, and many of the former do. On the other hand, you'll probably be using only two, and at most four, so that's not really a concern.

I like having one character specialized in each, personally.

—Alorael, whoose level of typso seems to be incresaing dramatically. Funy things, typos.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
i tend to put most points into the melee. Although I'm now coming to a point where my nephil can do much greater damage with pole weapons, because they are simply stronger weapons. Now I invest in pole weapons, and they are really FAR better.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #19
I found that across Avernum, Shields simply didnt do enough good to warrant not using huge polearms/greatsword types.

Until damage maxes out, and you scale down in weapons, I always found that huge damage > slight protection, but nasty encumbrance.

--------------------
You say, "hello"