Mod for Morrowind about Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Mod for Morrowind about Avernum
Apprentice
Member # 6044
Profile #0
I want people to join me in making a huge mod for the game Morrowind. Go to me website at The Avernum Project or email me at sco50000@hotmail.com[/url] . Please join. And if you have played Morrowind before, all the better!!

--------------------
Go to my website at stuff://stuff.stuff.stuff/stuff/stuff.stuff
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #1
Is Morrowind compatible with Mac?

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
I've never played Morrowind, so these questions are not obvious to me, as they doubtlessly are to you.

1) By "mod", do you mean change the code for Avernum, or change the code for Morrowind?

2) Are you sure this shouldn't be in the BoA section? Some of the people there are pretty good at programming. And if worst comes to worst, someone can make a scenario for you based on Morrowind.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
He's proposing to port Avernum to Morrowind. It sounds like a cool project, except that it also sounds like blatant copyright violation, effectively taking bread out of the mouths of Jeff Vogel's children, and all that.

An original Morrowind scenario inspired by Avernum, though, could be a different story -- unless it used so much directly copied graphics that it amounted to a copyright violation on BoA. In that case, I don't exactly where the moral and legal line(s) should be drawn, but I'm sure they're not so far away you can totally ignore them.

I do know that I'd be reluctant to put in the stupendous amount of work involved in this kind of project, if there was a good chance I would simply be participating in a crime, because I wouldn't want to end up feeling guilty about anything I'd worked that hard on, and I would want to be able to distribute the result freely to reap gratitude and acclaim for my efforts.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
No Morrowind for the Mac, unfortunately.

—Alorael, who will say right away that that loses about half of the Avernum crowd.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Porting Avernum to Morrowind is a copyright violation and illegal. Using the Avernum universe as a setting is more ambiguous, but I still stay away from it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #6
I think that if you want to do that (reuse the same storyline in a scenario for another game), you would need to get Jeff's explicit permission for it to be legal. So try e-mailing him to make sure it's ok with him before you devote any time to this project.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Apprentice
Member # 6044
Profile #7
I did send him an email but he hasent replied yet. And I haven't even started the mod anyway.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6044
Profile #8
Okay... I just wan't to get some things straight. First of all, i'm not editing code of any kind but I'm using Morrwind's TES Construction Set to make a mod. I'm not changing Avernum in any way, shape, or form and the last thing I want to do is break copyright laws! :eek: Okay, i'm done.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #9
That would actually be brilliant. I think that both Avernum and Morrowind are great games and it would be interesting to see a first person, brilliant graphics (rather than something that's pretty much a text adventure [Not that I have anything against the graphics, infact I like them]) version of Avernum. I think it would be incredibly hard to pull off though. I would help but unfortunitly I have no skills in that sort of area.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
Okay, so Morrowind has a "TES Construction Set". Sounds like the BoA Editor. Well, I bet the people in the BoA Editor forum would be more inclined to help, seeing as they're already doing that sort of thing.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Even if you're not editing Avernum, you're violating Jeff's copyright on the world of Avernum. (I presume he has one!) That said, as long as it's not a commercial mod, Jeff is unlikely to care enough to do anything about it.

—Alorael, who still doesn't encourage intellectual property theft. And you should know that Jeff hates fan fiction, so fan mods probably aren't encouraged.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
You can't really copyright something as broad and vague as the idea of the world. As long as you changed around the names of all the places and characters, and maybe messed around with the plot a little, it's unlikely that Jeff could successfully sue you.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
You could sure be sued for "Avernum" and probably "slthzerikai" and "vahnatai." Nephilim are biblical, so you get a pass on that one.

Jeff wouldn't bother to sue you, but he could.

—Alorael, who certainly doesn't mean to imply that underground worlds are copyrighted. If anyone gets that, it's probably Jules Verne.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #14
Basically if it is close enough to be considered an avernum mod for it, it could legally be considered to be a copyright infringement.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #15
It would be very hard to actually make a decent mod of Avernum using the TES Construction thing. I looked at it just before. I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying it would take ages and by the time it's done Oblivion would be out and the mod would see less people using it anyway.
Apprentice
Member # 6044
Profile #16
Jeff Vogel has given me a no. His reason was something like that if he gave me permissions it would inhibit his future game selling abbilities.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Interior Analog:

You could sure be sued for "Avernum" and probably "slthzerikai" and "vahnatai." Nephilim are biblical, so you get a pass on that one.

Jeff wouldn't bother to sue you, but he could.

—Alorael, who certainly doesn't mean to imply that underground worlds are copyrighted. If anyone gets that, it's probably Jules Verne.

Avernum is an antique name for the Underworld, iirc. It is as much under copyright as the names Anaximander, Erika and Hawthorne are.

I've seen "Slithzerikai" used in other settings, but it is probably original to Spiderweb Software, as well as Vahnatai.

That said, "Ermarian" is fan-invented and therefore - thankfully - not subject to copyright.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
In a context reminiscent of Avernum, using Avernum becomes copyright infringement, I believe. That might only be true for trademarks, though. I'm not an intellectual property rights expert.

—Alorael, who enjoy a lawsuit by Lake Avernum against Spiderweb for libel. Not everyone in the area is a banished societal misfit.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #19
Whoopie. I join up and instantly it's been stopped.