Specific, beginner questions. Av 1.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Specific, beginner questions. Av 1.
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #0
I am new to Avernum.

1. Does the experience you recieve for a particular enemy decrease as your level increases, as in Geneforge?

2a. Should Cave Lore be concentrated in one character, or is it just effective when spread throughout the entire group?

2b. Besides helping to avoid encounters, what else is Cave Lore useful for?

3a. Is the Barter skill worthwhile, and if so does it's effectiveness vary with the person/shop you are dealing with? I notice that shops seem to have unlimited gold, and that it would therefore be possible to amass a fortune simply by killing enemies and selling the loot.

3b. Can Barter be purchased anywhere else above level 5 in order to conserve precious skill points?

4. At what point are you wasting skill points on Tool skill? What is the maximum necessary level?

I love this game. I originally started playing it because I had exhausted the Geneforge demo and thought I would kill some time while waiting for my credit card to arrive, but now I will have to register both games.

Thankyou to anyone who replys.

-

I've been reading the Av wish list topic, I realise how boring my post is in comparison. I haven't played the Spiderweb games long enough to include my own opinions, but there is one thing
in particular which, despite the lack of 3-D graphics, cutscenes, music, etc, which makes these games the best I have ever played. Games like these rely on the players imagination. I don't care about how things move/look so much, because I can imagine them in my head so much better. When I read text describing my surroundings, I imagine the huge cave, the green light from the fungus.. It's awesome. When I am fighting a battle, I imagine different moves used by the fighters, the bloody wounds, the complexities of casting spells, It's a tense, exciting event. The problem for me with the bigger, more flashy games is that they're too explicit. I can't immerse myself in them. Perhaps if you don't have a good imagination...

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 16:15: Message edited by: Soltedas ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
1. It decreases, or so I believe. The effect is less dramatic, though. I don't think I ever found myself getting absolutely negligible amounts of experience from anything that I was fighting.

2a I believe it can be spread out. The manual can tell you more definitively.

2b. Aside from wandering encounters, there are some special enounters that are affected. You can avoid some traps, for instance, and some alchemical ingredients can only be harvested with enough Cave Lore.

3. It's worth buying points of barter from the trainer, but don't train it. Five points for four characters is more than enough, because you can't ever sell items for more than you buy them for. The actual effect does vary somewhat by shop, as do selling prices in general. Yes, you can make a lot of money by selling stuff, but only as much as what you sell is worth. (Money tends not to be a problem at all by mid to late game.)

4. If you use the Unlock Doors spell, not a huge amount. You can survive most traps anyway. Some late game traps and doors can require quite a lot of Tool Use. I can't remember exact numbers, but I had 15+ by the end of the game, I think.

—Alorael, who has couched his responses in so many careful maybes that he hasn't actually said anything, probably.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #2
1. Does the experience you recieve for a particular enemy decrease as your level increases, as in Geneforge?

Yes it does, but its far less noticeable as you don't get experience readouts for each enemy. Note that because of this characters with exp penalties from traits will not be behind as many levels as you'd expect.

2a. Should Cave Lore be concentrated in one character, or is it just effective when spread throughout the entire group?

What matters is how much total you have I believe.

2b. Besides helping to avoid encounters, what else is Cave Lore useful for?

There are several encounters spread throughout each Avernum game where it mentions some benefit you recieve is due to cave lore. Don't have the slightest clue how much is needed to get all of those though.

3a. Is the Barter skill worthwhile, and if so does it's effectiveness vary with the person/shop you are dealing with? I notice that shops seem to have unlimited gold, and that it would therefore be possible to amass a fortune simply by killing enemies and selling the loot.

It is best to as earlier as possible buy 5 points for each character but don't put in skill points. Different shopkeepers give different prices and that is sufficient to get the best price (around 60%) from most, though not quite all of them.

3b. Can Barter be purchased anywhere else above level 5 in order to conserve precious skill points?

No skill you can buy can be bought above level 5. Note I think there exists trainers for some normal skills including cave lore (in fort draco I think, some guy in a building with cows) so you can save skill points and archery (think in silvar not sure, but you need a high reputation to get it, its from the guy in the store selling missle weapons). And as I indicated buying above 5 levels of barter for each character will not produce any effect except in a few rare shops that give horrible prices.

4. At what point are you wasting skill points on Tool skill? What is the maximum necessary level?

Not sure, but there exist doors you will unlikely ever pick without using the character editor, but for those there's unlock doors level 3, so its only really needed for traps. Not sure what the most difficult traps are though.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
For a number of skills in which you can buy levels up to 5, there also exist mind crystals or other one-time raises that can raise your skill beyond 5 without spending skill points. I typically end up with a character with Magery at 8 because of this, and I think it's true for Barter in A1 too.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 20:07: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Soltedas:

I've been reading the Av wish list topic, I realise how boring my post is in comparison. I haven't played the Spiderweb games long enough to include my own opinions, but there is one thing
in particular which, despite the lack of 3-D graphics, cutscenes, music, etc, which makes these games the best I have ever played. Games like these rely on the players imagination. I don't care about how things move/look so much, because I can imagine them in my head so much better. When I read text describing my surroundings, I imagine the huge cave, the green light from the fungus.. It's awesome. When I am fighting a battle, I imagine different moves used by the fighters, the bloody wounds, the complexities of casting spells, It's a tense, exciting event. The problem for me with the bigger, more flashy games is that they're too explicit. I can't immerse myself in them. Perhaps if you don't have a good imagination...

In that case have you considered Exile? It sounds like you might like it even more than Avernum. The graphics feel more "natural" and there are more fun spells to play with. (Avernum has better skill system and some other improvements, but that is a tradeoff you'll have to judge for yourself.)

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 21:47: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Here are some more specific questions:

1) There's a tough door in the NE corner of the Bandit Fort. How do you get in there? Is it worth it?

2) With a duo, I can't get enough rune reading to learn spells. Is this just the breaks, or am I doing something wrong? What's the best way to pump my rune reading so I can learn those spells?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
i have been some time in that closed off room. If I remember it well enough, there is a very nasty creature in there, a demon or so. I immediatly reloaded my game when I saw it. I this bandit fort is your first quest in Avernum 1, go away and return with a much stronger party.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
Re rune reading, A1 can give an exaggerated impression of how much rune readings skill is required. This is because the first couple of map areas contain a few high level spells, which you won't need till much later on in the game. On the other hand, if you're unable to learn light level 3, then you do have a problem! You'll have to pump up your PCs' arcane lore to learn spells (both PCs' rune reading are taken into account).

Re the bandit fort, you don't need to unlock the door there is a secret passage (in Avernum, there is nearly always a secret passage). You can enter from the room immediately to the south of the locked room - the secret passage is the second segment of wall counting from the east.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #8
Another thing (it's late because I just came back a bit after a year away from the boards) but with cave lore it is also possible to avoid getting poisoned from swamps if you have enough of it.

--------------------
Life is an ever flowing steam that is constantly going over bumps and falls. Things change and so does the stream we call life. Life goes on and so does the stream!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #9
That effect comes from pathfinder skill doesn't it?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Pathfinder does that for sure, but I've noticed that swamps sometimes don't poison my party even without Pathfinder, and I've never known why. I'm willing to believe that it's related to Cave Lore.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Well, being poisoned is a random value, too, so even with no Pathfinder or Cave Lore, it won't be 100%. But it's definitely possible that both of those affect it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
What effect does the poison resistance stat have? Does it reduce your chance of becoming poisoned in the first place, or your choice of taking damage from poison?

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #13
I'm not entirely positive but I think it effects both.

--------------------
Life is an ever flowing steam that is constantly going over bumps and falls. Things change and so does the stream we call life. Life goes on and so does the stream!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
It does affect both.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
OK - so a 20 stat poison resistance would mean you had 0% chance of ever getting poisoned?

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Very few things in the games ever go to 0%, but I'd say either 1% or 5%.

--------------------
====
====