Anyone else notice the jokes here?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Anyone else notice the jokes here?
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
I just found in Avernum 2 behind the shrine of crystals a vahnatai mage named mentos, and in the text when you talk to him it says his friendliness is a "fresh" experience, and he offers you candy that it says makes your mouth tingle. Anyone know of any other odd jokes like that in these games?

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #1
I think I do. In Avernum 3 in the Portal Fort at the beginning of the game if you talk to the sage there it says he has a rainbow-colored pen. If you ask him why, he says it represents him and gives him pride. Lol. Basically, it's a deeply embedded reference to him being "fairylike".
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
There are a number of rainbows in Upper Avernum. I believe either Elspeth or Nancy also has one somewhere.

Malloc and Calloc are functions as well as towns.

Four characters from Trainspotting appear somewhere in Bigail. Shayder, I believe.

One town has characters from Babylon 5. Again, I'm not sure exactly which, but I think it's Golddale.

Krizsan Province and Lt. Mariann Krizsan in A2 are both named after Jeff's wife, of course, and there are rumors that all provinces in A3 are named after women who have been involved in Jeff's life.

The GIFTS (Giant, Intelligent, Friendly, Talking Spiders) are loosely based on Spider, the company mascot tarantula.

The Monastery of Madness and the Generic Dungeon are both obvious jokes.

—Alorael, who is sure there are more. Probably a lot more.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
The town of Wainscotting in A3. Wainscotting ... Wainscotting ... Wainscotting ... sounds like a little Dorset village, doesn't it? Wainscotting. Jeff left out the killer sheep that the Monty-Python sketch had though.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Soul Proprietor:

there are rumors that all provinces in A3 are named after women who have been involved in Jeff's life.

What about footracer province? I doubt he knows a woman named footracer.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Footracer may not be a common surname but a Google search reveals that it certainly exists.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #6
You're right, didn't expect that.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Not in the Trilogy, but in BoA, several South Park characters show up in ASR in Zaskiva. Well-known, but worth mentioning.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Soul Proprietor:

Krizsan Province and Lt. Mariann Krizsan in A2 are both named after Jeff's wife, of course, and there are rumors that all provinces in A3 are named after women who have been involved in Jeff's life.
Source.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Specifically, this bit of the chat:

quote:
SpidWeb : Omigod, I'm glad someone asked that. Everywhere I can. Friends. Books. Movies. Place names I get from atlases. The provinces in Exile III are named after women I've been ... ummmmmm .... intimate with. (Does that violate AOL TOS?) (Or just the bounds of good taste?)
From this, some have inferred that whoever Ms Midori was, Jeff doesn't like her very much any more.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Or Shirley Monroe, his ex-wife?

There are also secret hidden strings in the Exile games. In Exile III, Anaximander strips for you, and there is anti-Catholic text in one of the previous games, as well as some lesbian references.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #11
The lesbian refrences is mainly two characters found in all 3 games (Nance and Elspeth), and is very strongly implied though not explicitly stated, but is by no means hidden. By the way, what do you have to say to anaximander to get that?

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
They're in the text of the game, but there's no way to actually trigger them in-game -- you have to poke around in the game files using a resource editor.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
The hidden Nance and Elspeth strings are much more forward and explicit.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #14
Characters called Patsy and Eddy (from the TV series Absolutely Fabulous) appear in Blosk in Avernum 2. In Avernum there's a fort called Saffron (another character from Ab Fab).

Edit: Saffron is also a spice of course, so the latter could be a coincidence. But Patsy and Eddy live next door...

Edit 2: Just noticed the sage in Blosk in E2 is named Saffron too. So that makes 3 characters in the same town.

[ Sunday, August 07, 2005 04:03: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I think it's probably a coincidence. Most character references are all characters and all in one town. Fort Saffron matches better with Fort Emerald. Both are named after substances that are also colors.

—Alorael, who will now have to go poking around with a resource editor again to find more hidden goodies. And baddies.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Okay, Drakey, I give up. The Anaximander strings are easy enough to find, but where are the others?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #17
Ephram in Silvar mentions that some guys might be jealous of his big sword.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
They're in E1 and E2 strings, but in a different place because they occur in dialogue (I think). In the Towns file, perhaps?

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Thanks. I might get around to going on another fishing expedition for them later; I'll be sure to note their locations for posterity if and when I find them.

[ Sunday, July 03, 2005 17:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
I poked around for a good, long while, but I didn't find anything. They're not in any obvious place.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
Is there a utility that can either search through a resource fork for specific pieces of text or dump the strings into a data fork? That'd make looking through it a lot easier.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
I always used ResEdit.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Specifically, this bit of the chat:

quote:
SpidWeb : Omigod, I'm glad someone asked that. Everywhere I can. Friends. Books. Movies. Place names I get from atlases. The provinces in Exile III are named after women I've been ... ummmmmm .... intimate with. (Does that violate AOL TOS?) (Or just the bounds of good taste?)
From this, some have inferred that whoever Ms Midori was, Jeff doesn't like her very much any more.

Why, what's so awful about Midori Province?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
It's rather abused by its plague, don't you think?

[Gah! A typo!]

—Alorael, who thinks Monoroe really got the short end of the stick. Gale has golems and zombies who just can't hold their drugs.

[ Monday, September 12, 2005 17:26: Message edited by: Internal Sanity Service ]

Pages