Simulacrum is far too powerful.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Simulacrum is far too powerful.
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #0
Is it just me or is Simulacrum a flat out game-breaking spell? I mean, all you have to do to win ANY fight in the game with little to no effort is to sit back with your mage and summon Dark Wyrms, Power Crystals, or whatever other godlike creatures you happen to soul capture. Dark Wyrms are just crazy...they have HUNDREDS of hp, brutal multi-hitting melee attacks, and an insanely damaging ranged attack. Why make it possible to capture such ridiculously strong creatures? I'm only on day 50, yet I can completely descimate entire cities with my party of three and my incredible simulacrum summons, not to mention how easily I can win any other battles I come across. I feel that this spell needs some tweaking.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
It was reworked for Blades of Avernum.

... The reworked version is still too powerful, though. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
The downside to the spell is that summoned minions' kills don't give you experience. Heavy simulacrum dependence is eventually crippling.

—Alorael, who admits that it's not much of a balancing factor. Simulacrum makes the game less fun, though, so he doesn't use it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3667
Profile #3
I would point out that, simulacrum creatures should be used for one of 2 reasons:
1. Incredulously large amounts or rather powerful foes
2. Complete and total destruction of cities

--------------------
plz feel free to email me answers at stargazer_do@hotmail.com
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #4
unless you cheat or have simulacrum-usage as a primary goal, its only that effective at very late stages.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
What monsters do you have in your Soul Crystal that seem unfair?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #6
In Avernum 3 the Dark Wyrms I summoned just stood around (wriggled around?) without doing anything. Demons were much more helpful. From a summoning standpoint, using the character editor to give my player rods of arcana worked much better. But the game loses its interest pretty quickly with that kind of supernatural help.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #7
I liked Exile better because you could actually summon decent monsters to fight for you instead of having to put 'em in a crystal. Even though Drakefyre showed his opionion of summoning here.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 5634
Profile #8
I've got Empire Dervish, Power Crystal, Haakai, and of course, Dark Wyrm as my simulacrum summons. I did not cheat to get any of them, unless you consider reloading a few times while fighting them cheating, which I'm sure some people might. Dark Wyrms are godly. Try them some time. You can get them early on in the giant cave, if I recall correctly.