Hintbook: how is it?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hintbook: how is it?
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #0
Being a BoA user, I decided to buy the Avernum triology. I would like to know how are the hintbooks, to decide if I should buy them together too.

Thanks

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 13:36: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 3667
Profile #1
I wouldnt know what they are like, but should they fail, the sites that Are noted on the Spiderweb Site, as well as in the forum, are quite useful, as well a Shrodinger's FAQs

--------------------
plz feel free to email me answers at stargazer_do@hotmail.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
The hintbook for A1 is useless if you know about Avernum Annotated Maps. The hintbooks for A2 and A3 are pretty good, though, because although other sites do have pretty good coverage, nothing is as comprehensive and easy-to-use.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Rache's A3 walkthrough obviates the need for an A3 hintbook. There are online walkthroughs for all three games, but only A2's don't seem to have any maps.

—Alorael, who buys hintbooks anyway. They're often easier to find quick information in than online walkthroughs and they support Spiderweb. No, he is not averse to seeking help when stuck.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #4
Buy the hintbooks!!! They are like a light in a dark cave.

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #5
Are they in electronic format or on paper?

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 5531
Profile #6
They are in book format. They are not electronic to my knowledge, but I bought them a while ago.

--------------------
Trouser Snake.
Mustakrakish.

Infiltrators? No. Agents? YES!!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #7
Erm, why do you need the Hintbook? That's what the boards are for...

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 5542
Profile #8
Four reasons you need the hintbook:
1) It supports Spiderweb.
2) You can look up more questions with more ease.
3) You can read through the hintbook to see if you missed anything.
4) It supports air.
So don't be a Commie; buy the hintbook.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
I never saw a point to the hintbooks. It was more fun to figure it out on my own, and if I really needed it there were the walkthroughs. There are also the boards if something is a complete fog.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
I bought the book for E3. But they have probably changed since then. All I remember is a plain boring book aiiii.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #11
Thank you for the information, but I would like to know a couple more things: Does the hintbook includes any extra information besides the walktrough? Is it like the VotD's solution, included in BoA as a pdf document?

--------------------

--------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #12
I love the books, you don't need to use them all the time, just when you're stuck. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
They have a number of maps, answers about sidequests, and locations of alchemical recipes and the third levels of spells. I don't have them in front of me, but they are quite complete. Not as complete as Avernum Annotated Maps, but as complete as anything made for A2, anyway.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #14
I only played Avernum 3 and BoA but I have the hintbooks for both and I thought they were quite good. Rache's site is also excellent.

In addition to the point about helping support Spiderweb software, you might not want to have to quit the game and go online to the forums or Rache's site just for a couple of minor things you could look up in the book. Also, I tend to print things out and refer to them, so the hintbooks make more sense to me than online help.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum