A strange topic, for the neat freaks

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A strange topic, for the neat freaks
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #0
Has it ever bothered any other person that you are unable to put anything into drawers, dressers, and the like? In Nethergate this was a possibility, and one I used alot, at least when I played as Romans.

All my treasure hordes would look much nicer if I could just stick them in something, instead the Demonslayer is forced to lay on the floor like common house trash! There might be a way to put items inside of boxes and what not, but I have yet to see it.

If there truly is no way, then why was it removed from Avernum? If anyone knows that is.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The ability to choose where to put a dropped item was removed because Jeff decided to make dropping items as simple as possible.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
Did the thought of satisfying both goals ever occur to him? He could have made the game drop the item under the character when the item is clicked outside of the selectable regions. Removing the ability to place the items around the characters also removes a few options from the game!

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
The idea was to make dropping a one click process. Click the drop button, and the widget is placed in the space its erstwhile bearer occupies. I guess Jeff didn't see much call for specific item placement.

—Alorael, who agrees that Nethergate has nicer dropping option. In BoA, that could be even more of an issue. Now it's not possible to place the ritual items on the altar. Leaving them on the mat before the altar just isn't the same.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #4
yeah, that has bothered me for some time, too.
i dont think one should cut such a neat option for simplicity. makes avernum look like my room.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #5
I like putting my stuff away too...theres just something nice about keeping a world neat and tidy....I had this habit back when I played Exile 3...there was a house that always had clothes and trash lying around...Id put the clothes away and take the trash out...lol...Im a strange girl

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by [b:
were244[/b]]
Has it ever bothered any other person that you are unable to put anything into drawers, dressers, and the like?

Uh hu. This has also bothered me as well. I actually found it kind of fun to stuff all the items in drawers, cause it kept the room presentable. (exile 3)

I sadly have to agree with you, im a neat freak when it comes to games. Now if only i can feel the same way about my room...

[ Sunday, November 21, 2004 15:53: Message edited by: -08 ]

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #7
I also like being able to put stuff away in drawers and stuff. In BoE, (like a lot of games) you collect huge amounts of stuff. And you need a place to dump it. Sometimes, you are given a place in the beginnning of the game to store your stuff. But in one or two scenarios, you can actually buy houses, and store stuff in there. Though you really can't DO anything in your house, it still feels good.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #8
You sad lot! :D
Tidying virtual rooms, indeed. I find it hard enough to remember where I've left stuff, when it's right out there on the floor. If I had to search every time, the game would take four times as long!

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #9
This topic has been done so many times, but its still so true. I hate having to put all my things on the floor, when i could have a chest for swords, one for scrolls etc. I wish Jeff would listen to his fans....

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by [b:
Gunshy[/b]]
You sad lot! :D
Tidying virtual rooms, indeed. I find it hard enough to remember where I've left stuff, when it's right out there on the floor. If I had to search every time, the game would take four times as long!
Hey! I get involved in my games more than real life! Lol. Sad indeed. :( :) At least more than my house.
Anywayz, if you're the expert adventurer, you're gonna need to be organized! Otherwise, you won't be able to find anything! :D

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #11
Fair enough ;)
That gives me a question:
do you make notes, as you go through, of where things/people are, locations of stuff/quests, etc. that you'll be coming back to, warnings, e.g. stay out of Erox, until you're really fit?

I don't and must admit I've wasted a fair bit of game time scouring around. Perhaps I should print out the maps. :D

[ Monday, November 22, 2004 23:41: Message edited by: Gunshy ]

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #12
I don't really keep much of anything I can't carry. If I find myself needing more things than strength, I usually give some skill points to strength, it's usually pretty cheap later in the game (because they have, like 2 or 3) for magic users :)

--------------------
fishing
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #13
Yeh, Gunshy, I keep important things tabbed. After a couple games, I memorize everything though, and its no prob. :) But its good to keep notes, just in case you get tired of the game and decide to go back o it months later, as i always do.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5267
Profile #14
Wow. I do this too. And I thought I was the only one... ;)

Actually, you can "put" stuff in boxes or barrels. Simply push the container aside, then drop the stuff where the container used to be. When you reenter the town/dungeon, the container will be back in position, over the stuf. Do a Look on the container, and your stuff will appear in a Get window just like it were inside the container. Not elaborate, but it works.

I do this because I choose to claim the Bandit Fort as one of my stash stores, and it adds a sense of realism to try and hide my things from scavengers.

-

The pen-and-paper approach is always necessary for quality RPGs or adventure games. Besides, the Journal is inadequate (although still useful) to record the information that characters really involved in a RPG-world would need to know.
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #15
well, since messing my room is pretty much my work, I really like putting stuffs down at my home, in Lorelei. There's a room for putting & messing stuffs, & I will do that just to make the game a little more comfy!! :D

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...