PC People

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: PC People
Apprentice
Member # 4900
Profile #0
Hey, I just have a question (Sorry if this is an old topic) but, how many people do you guys normally have for your parties? I usually only have two, a warrior-mage and warrior-priest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I use four, a pair of fighters and a pair of mage/priests. Doubling up on magic abilities is a good thing.

—Alorael, who occasionally gives his fighters magic skills. He's found that he usually ends up just going in with the standard hack and slash, though, so it's not worth it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
In A1 and A2, I usually used a fighter and a mage/priest. By the end of the game, the mage/priest was trained in fighting, too (in A2 in the fight against Garzahd, the mage/priest was killing dervishes).

In A3, I actually used something pretty close to the default party.

In BoA, this all kind of went to heck and I am experimenting with many party orientations. I'd like to go back to the duo paradigm at some point, but I don't have the tactical skills for it yet.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #3
The first time I play the game, I use a four-character party composed of two fighters, one priest, and one mage. When I play it again I usually use one character who can fight in melee and cast both priest and mage spells.

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I once used the default party (ie, two melee fighters/archers, one priest, one mage). Then I used my own, which includes one fighter, two mages and one priest, which gives me more firepower.

Now I use only two PCs, one as heavily armed Mage/Priest/Fighter, and one as Archer/Fighter with a few priest spells like Heal and Bless. It works out wonderfully. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
This is my basic party.

Human warrior- Level 1 and 2 priest spells.
Slith warrior- Throwing missles.
Nephil archer- Traps, locks.
Human Mage- Item Lore
Human Priest- Alchemy

plus a few points of Mage Lore for everyone.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
This is the Avernum Trilogy board, you dunce.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #7
For the Avernum trilogy I like singletons. Having one character who can cast nearly every spell in the game and beat up on people in melee just really appeals to me.

On the other hand, fighting Dark Wyrms really sucks.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #8
The default party(with some changes in the Charactor Editor, of course ;) ).

[ Saturday, August 28, 2004 07:06: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Apprentice
Member # 4904
Profile #9
By the way, is it harder (and significally?) to play with incomplete party? What is the scheme for xp distribution?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Experience is divided evenly among all party members, so a party with two members gets twice as much experience per person as a full four person party.

—Alorael, who has a much easier time with four people. However, some swear by two or three person parties as well. Singletons are almost universally agreed-upon as challenging.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #11
Does it have to be on torment, or is a normal difficulty one challenging as well? ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #12
Even having a singleton on normal is a feat for me. Quite a few times I end up stuck in a dungeon, or in the outdoors next to a group of wandering mosters that are above my skills, etc.

(I end up using the char editor :D )

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Apprentice
Member # 4900
Profile #13
I started using singletons, and I like that a lot more, except in the very very beginning. Also, I have another question, how many of you join the Anama(sp wrong) What I did was leave my mage in the pc storage room in Fort Emergence, then went with only my priest and joined. That way I could get the lvl 3 priest spells but still have my mage. Only drawback is that you can't buy any more mage spells..
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #14
The singleton is always fun to use as you usually get the best of the magic and the norm. combat. Experience always acrues quicker which can make up for the lack in total potential power. In Avernum though the singleton sometimes lacks the luster that I alway found it to have in Exile. Oh well. As for the Anama I tend to dislike this especially with the singleton party since you can't really use that loophole with just one person.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."