NEW ABILITY

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: NEW ABILITY
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #0
I've got an idea for a new ability :D , army call, it summons more than one monster according to your character level.Do you think that's good, or should i go back to the drawing board?

*Remember, quantiy is better than quality(really)

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
It may help if you stop posting threads about random abilities and ideas for BoA. It's better to compile a long list of your ideas and then post that.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
Drakefyre is right... and that is too much of a useful idea. There are plenty of summoning spells, just another thing would be kinda useless.

[ Saturday, December 14, 2002 08:31: Message edited by: EEPLegolas ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 1043
Profile #3
i think it would be nice with a "wall of monsters". it should be a line of monsters that shouldn't be able to move

--------------------
"It's really lame quoting yourself"
-Edge
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #4
Just call it a "Summon Living Wall" spell. with size of the wall based on your character's level. Then to make it fair to use, part of the casting cost is you have to kill your strongest character to cast it, and that character cannot be revived during (or maybe even after) combat. All of their non-unique items would be lost, and the wall wouldn't be under your control, so it would choose it's own targets.

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #5
People are always changing the subject with my topics.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #6
It happens on everyone's topics, it's no big deal. The conversation always goes off on some random tangent, trust me (especially when I'm around) :D Anyway, Nicol Bolas, no offense or anything, but that spell idea is CRAP. I have yet to meet a person who would consider a kill-your-own-character spell worth it.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #7
A living wall spell is not as hard as it sounds. Just make a special spell that summons monsters entitled "wall."

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #8
I never said it was any good. I said to balance it, you'd have to kill the character. If for no other reason than for pestering Jeff about it. I'm counting in the sadistic fun I would have if I was forced to put something into a game that I didn't want in there. "Sure you can have it, but I get to set the casting cost..."

--------------------

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #9
Pestering Jeff about it? I don't really think this was much a conversation about getting a built in spell, but more of a scripted ability (even if it would be possible). I doubt pestering Jeff is really on the cards for this one.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #10
Sorry, my bad. Actually, I'm sadistic enough to come up with some really awesome abilities that let you crush anything in your path, but have casting costs that are lucrative. To top it off, I'd make sure that there was at least one point in the game where you had to use one of the aforementioned sadistic cost abilities.

Good thing I'm not a designer, eh?

--------------------

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #11
Very... kill your greatest warrior to cast a spell that can be avoided? Or at all? Sheesh...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #12
Like I said, I'd be sadistic... maybe, actually, I might be able to come up with a storyline for a scenario, but that's about it, I doubt I would be able to even make a skill that could do that.

However, just because I'm tired and feeling goofy, I think someone should make a scenario and try to throw in the following ability:

Defile (dead/grave): Defiling a single corpse gives you the chance of making it rise as a powerful intelligent undead that fights by your side. Defiling a graveyard makes all of the graves have a chance of producing one skeleton/zombie. Corpses of undead may not be defiled, being raised once is enough; besides they have already been too damaged to make a decent beastie anyway. :)

The only thing I can think of though that might use such an ability would be a scenario set in something like a "Ravenloft" campaign from DnD. Of course if you had a reputation-like counter, every time you used the ability, your reputation among living people would decrease; but you could have it so that it would (much more slowly) raise among the intelligent undead, making them pay you more respect/attention to you, or fear you and try to aid enemies in battle against you.

Of course, making a good scenario around an ability would be an exercise in futility. See, that's another reason why I shouldn't design scenarios (as if I needed more reasons). :P

[ Monday, December 16, 2002 23:27: Message edited by: Nicol Bolas ]

--------------------

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #13
KILL YOUR OWN CHARACTER!!!!!!!?????The strongest monster on your force is often ONE OF YOUR CHARACTERS IN YOUR OWN PARTY!!! :mad:

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #14
Flaming Blade, I already said I'm EVOL enough to drop that in a scenario, but I also know no one would ever use it. That was the whole point of the posting. If someone really wanted an ability that I thought was too powerful, I'd put it in, but make the cost so high that only a fool or someone very desperate would use it. I kinda like that idea about raising undead though, the only problem then is making a scenario to use it in. :P

--------------------

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!