Magic and Progress

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Magic and Progress
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #25
Well, find Arancaytar. He is doing an 'Encyclopedia Emarian' though the project is semi-dead at the moment. All the Vahnatai stuff in on Drakey's site...

Rest, dunno.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
(Continuation of the tired old rant...)

But as far as I can tell, Aran's site makes no distinction between pure canon (straight from the games) and something as out there as Vahnatai Creationism. It doesn't cite sources or give reasons -- which are probably FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the actual history. Drakey's site is much the same.

EDIT: Bloody hell. Typo. Two, in fact.

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 09:36: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
Aran's site (and Vahnatai Creationism) are what the community basically decided on a long time ago. There is basically no evidence from the games because we made it to fill in what wasn't there, so you're pretty much going on a pointless search. It's what's accepted in the community, so most designers choose to stay within those boundaries.

I have a section of canon history set up on my site if you want to read it. It's all information gleaned from the games.

And the Anama have always been peaceful dissenters to magic - they're not a violent group.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #28
It would be nice to see someone put together a scenario where the mages school does not blow up. I am thinking of a kind of school that would focus on alchemy and blessing magic. The head teacher who had written the Books Encyclopedia of Garden Magic Alchemical Components and Their USes, and Portals to Higher Planes would have gathered a set of powerful guardians-- a deva, a few pixies, a pair of unicorns, some priest of magical power-- hedge mages, a light golem, a garden of alchemical components, etc. Your job would be to go out and complete quests to get items to strengthen the school, and probably later to serve as inquisitors against demonic and necromantic magic.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #29
Drakey, do you remember the time when you were lambasted for telling us what we believed?
No, Creationism ain't canon.

(Not that it matters to me since I probably won't touch Ermarian again, but...)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

And the Anama have always been peaceful dissenters to magic - they're not a violent group.
In theory. But I won't be surprised if there was a radical wing hiding somewhere in there. All those barracks, and so on, suggests a certain mentality... Plus, there is more than enough bitterness and past repression to go around.

Besides, their head priest isn't gonna live forever.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Eric-Ihrno:

[QB]I don't think that there will ever be magical progress, for the simple reason that magic is not like technology. Technology is a democratizing force because its fruits can be used by anyone. Magic, on the other hand, is an inherently centralizing force, because to use it you have to have spent years training as a mage (that is, you must be rich, well-educated, and priviledged). Any pesant soldier could use a gun if given one, but only a specially-trained mage could shoot fireballs. And you can't become a mage unless you get permission from the governmane and the magical elite. Therefore, I would expect that fantasy worlds involving magic don't change and progress the way the real world does. Rather, the world ends up under the thumb of a powerful elite and their hired mages. This sort of repressive society would stifle most people's creativity and fail to produce any technological progress, magical or otherwise. [QB]
Tell me, has nobody on the entire board ever read a Tamora Pierce book? Or even played a game of D&D with a sorceror as a character? Or looked one of the thousands of other ideas in fiction of magic developing without special training : as in the "little kid gets angry and suddenly starts a forest fire" thing? I mean, even Harry Potter...

Those kind of people would be the magical scientists in such a case as described by Eric-Ihrno.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
TM, I never said that it was canon. I said that the community basically agreed upon it. I didn't come up with the idea, I just fleshed it out and reproduced it for the people that weren't around when Relhan and co. were working on the history project.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages