New Scenario: Death at Chapman's

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Scenario: Death at Chapman's
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #0
Hi all,

I've just completed a short scenario which is now ready for people to play. It's called "Death at Chapman's", and is designed for first level parties.

You can grab it (in either Mac and Windows format) from my BoA web page:

http://dnet.com/erik/BoA

I'd love to know how people find the scenario, as it's the first one I've ever written. It's not huge, and the focus isn't so much on combat as on solving a mystery, but hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Cheers,

- Erik.

PS: Thanks to ButteredToast for his short scenario competition. It was his competition which prompted me to get the scenario written.
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #1
Good on ya mate!!!!
CONGRSTS!!
I don't have the editor so I can't make a secnario but it sounds bloody tough.

Hope that you have many more coming.

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #2
i directly played it. and i have to say: wow, it's a very good short-scen! i enjoyed it very much!
it's a good idea basing the story on some "riddles".

but i have some things to note:

!!!ATTENTION SPOILERS!!!

-the key for the doss is not visible in the special items
-malones house: you can grab the stuff in the box through the window
-in the school the game gets really slow! (think because of the many spawned creatures)
-when i use the death charm without knowing what it is for, the game says: "chapmans error: state not ended properly in line 11"
-there is a black hole in the room with the death charm (wall missing), so i tried to do something in this room, cause i thought it had something to do with the place where death comes from
-and please add:
cr_small_or_large_template = 1
for the undead melville, so he wouldn't turn around instead of dying
-last but not least what i ever say: cut scene text bubbles are too fast for a non-native english speaker

carry on!

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
RE Death Charm- it's line 21, actually.

I remember that because it caused me to reload many times in frustration.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #4
Quick and fun, I really enjoyed it. Keep up the good work. :)

**SPOILER**

Some questions:
I noticed too that in the first level of the school game can get very slow.
Is there a way to get through the back door of the doss?
I picked up the notes of Willems but they don't appear in the inventory or as a special item, is this intentional?

rgds
Abraxx

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #5
I also got the Line 21 Error, but now the death charm is useless to me. I got it "activated", but it won't work! Do I have to start over?

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Apprentice
Member # 4777
Profile #6
Why cant I get through the trap door on the first floor of the magery school? I see the trapdoor and when I say go down into it, I just stand there? Anyone here successfully tried the windows version? Im stuk on the first floor and cant get down to the second... Whats going on
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #7
I'm running the windows version and have no problems yet...

-Spoiler-
I'm actually stuck... I encountered death then talked to Melvan, went back down got the death charm talked to melvan again. Left the school and got the spell from the hag in the groove. But now what?

--------------------
Geneforge 3 Trainer for windows.
[NEWEST v.0.9 ~~ Trainer D/L Here (.zip, 103kb)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
Ripper - Reload from before you used the charm.

FrozenSteel - No clue, sorry.

Pyro - Use the charm in Melville's room. Yeah, yeah, I know: It's incredibly pointless and doesn't make sense. Deal with it. -_-

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #9
EDIT: Oh, I get it, nevermind. Thanks.

[ Wednesday, August 18, 2004 11:12: Message edited by: The Ripper ]

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Apprentice
Member # 4777
Profile #10
OMG! I retried to go down into the trapdoor just for the heck of it and this time it worked. Did you have to restart the game to get down there :P IDK, I only know that it wouldnt work but after reloading the game it works. Heck, im getting offline now, IM REAL EXCITED ON WHATS GOING ON NEXT :)
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #11
arrggh I did that at the begining and then i just tried again it took me a couple of clicks. But evantually it worked.

Also it took me multiple entering of malone house before it actually responded... it may just be my pc... any hoo it was a fun little scenario

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4777
Profile #12
Now Im Stuck... I met death and I have the death charm... Now what? I tried using it in Melville's room and nothing happened. Its giving me this line 21 error sometimes tho
Warrior
Member # 3035
Profile Homepage #13
FrozenSteel, leave the school and go back acroos the river. Below the town in the narrowing search the lft/northen wall and you find a priesstess talk to her. Learn the death charm spell and then go back into melvarns room and perform the ritual.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4777
Profile #14
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #15
I can't script well enough to create anything but monsters and items, so I congratulate you on actually completing a scenerio. However once I found the Death Charm and talked to the Cleric lady, I had no earthly clue what to do. Either I missed something very important, or I have to randomly search and talk to people (which is what I have been doing.) I really liked how the undead appeared at night though.
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #16
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thanks for all the comments and feedback about the scenario. I see that some of you have encountered errors and problems getting things to work -- could you possibly let me know whether you're running the Mac or Windows version of BoA? I developed the scenario under Windows, and didn't notice any scripting problems, but did notice one critical thing not working when I tested it on my wife's Mac (it doesn't stop you completing, but there might well be other problems as well). Since I don't have regular access to a Mac, I wonder if there are indeed differences between the two versions of the game which are causing problems. Of course, I could also have mucked up the scenario when I converted it across to the Mac, so it might be my fault anyway.

If those of you who posted problems could let me know which platform you're running on, I'd be most grateful.

Secondly, I forgot to mention something very important: there's a help file included with the scenario (a file named "HINTS.html") which you can double-click on to get hints on how to play the game. Several of you have been stuck on how to complete the scenario -- the hints file should help with that.

If we can isolate the script problems down, I'll look at making some fixes and get an update out in the next day or two.

Thanks!

- Erik.
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #17
i'm on mac!
and btw: i didn't had as much problems getting stuck, it was quite clear to me, where to use the deathcharm! seems logical to me, but i'm a woman...

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #18
^ It seemed logical to me too, but I'm only a man.

Yeah, the real problem was the re-loading trick.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Apprentice
Member # 1970
Profile Homepage #19
real nice scenario Erik,
enjoyed it very much, had no problems, okay, it's a little slow in the storage area, but oh well ;)

--------------------
[i]YUni[/i]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #20
It's cool. Although I'm sure that with a little bit more tweaking it could be better. :)

But we must have in consideration that the scenario wasn't beta tested. It was made for ButteredToast's contest.

edit: added screenshots to you scenario page in my site. You should check them out. ;)

[ Thursday, August 19, 2004 04:18: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #21
Mac running 10.2.8

Well for me it was quite obvious too where to try the death charm and I'm a man ;) :P

cheers
Abraxx

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #22
Okay, my sister was playing this and she couldn't get through the door in Melville's room(I had a god party and picked the lock). Is this why you use the Death Charm in his room?

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #23
although I never saw any indication of what the Death Charm did, nor where to use it, you do, in fact, need to use it while standing next to Melville.

Spoilers

Once he turns into an undead and you kill him, the room next to him is open. Be sure to search the walls.
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #24
i'm glad to hear that others knew what the death charm is for, too.

but what's so difficult about this?
SPOILERS
melville is the only wizard left in that school. he thought, he was hiding and didn't realize, that he has already turned to undead. as long as he don't realizes this, he stays melville. when you use the death charm next to him, it hurts him, so he realizes, that he's undead and couldn't do anything against it anymore! it was just his imagination which kept him from the last step of being undead!

[ Thursday, August 19, 2004 08:12: Message edited by: bigblue/minor ]

--------------------

Pages