Question on dreams in a Blades game.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Question on dreams in a Blades game.
Apprentice
Member # 4857
Profile #0
I'm thinking about a scenario that spends part of the time in a story recounted by anther character. I originally thought that the party would lose their items before the sequence and get them back afterwards, not keeping anything from that part of the game. However, I have carefully put my items together, and I thought I might be a little annoyed if someone made me go through a scenario without the careful balance of items that I have.

I'd be happy to hear what you think. Is it better to keep realistic and keep the party from taking anything from the dream sequence, or to allow the party to use the materials they have put together?

[ Saturday, August 14, 2004 13:14: Message edited by: Anonymovs ]
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #1
I personally would choose to make it more realistic. Just make sure you dont let the party get their hands on something too tempting! :)

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Go for it. People that want to keep their items will be able to cheat them back in anyway, and the experience will be better the way you envision it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
I've been thinking along those lines too. I'm planning to take the items, because I need absolute control over what the party can do. Whether they get to keep anything, I'm not totally sure yet. They won't be keeping most stuff, though.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
There is a similar sequence in Nethergate.
It's a good idea. Just let them find some stuff to defend themselves ...

edits typo

[ Sunday, August 15, 2004 14:42: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #5
If Blades of Avernum's item system was as annoying as Neverwinter Nights then you would get a resounding no against manipulating the party's inventory from my direction. However, seeing as it isn't that big of a deal in BoA, I would have to say yes to the idea of the itemless dreamscape. In such a situation, the physics can make or break the atmosphere. One could even make it very specific, having some items be removable and others not for plot purposes. Then again, I don't have the specifics of your planning and purpose in such a sequence, so...

Either way, good luck with your project.

---Your somnambulating maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Apprentice
Member # 898
Profile #6
To be honest I'd prefer it if most modules came with a sample party so I could play it the way the builder envisioned. I hate the do-it-yourself approach to balance...the builder knows the module a lot better than me after all.

I don't get attached to my characters/items in any way. Maybe I'm weird :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
If you have doubts about your party's appropriateness, you can always use Kelandon's High Level Party Maker to make yourself a party of the recommended level for the scenario. In general, only expect a premade party to be supplied when one is necessary for plot purposes; most players get fairly attached to their own parties after a while.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Yes. This would be a very good idea. If you have Blades of Exile, play An Apology for a similar idea.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00