Erika's old quarters....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Erika's old quarters....
Warrior
Member # 4600
Profile #0
In VoDT under school inside the lecture halls, in the upper right hand corner..... is Erika's old quarters, destroyed now, but still cool that the creators of VoDT were able to put that in there..

--------------------
Life is full with strife, without it there would be no knife, see no movement, rent no rage, keeping the emotions in the cage, hoping to be a sage and release it all in a magical way, then stall to runaway, from the death and decay.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
The creator of VoDT. Jeff is one person.

And there is some debate as to whether that is actually Erika Redmark's old office. It was a rather long time ago.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4600
Profile #2
I think it would be because shes such a powerfull mage, where else would she have worked on the surface? The empire would have killed her if she tried to make her own sanctuary of magic.....

--------------------
Life is full with strife, without it there would be no knife, see no movement, rent no rage, keeping the emotions in the cage, hoping to be a sage and release it all in a magical way, then stall to runaway, from the death and decay.
Warrior
Member # 4665
Profile #3
Just one thing.......

If I recall correctly, the school of magic was shut down over a century before VoDT. Unless VoDT takes place several decades after Avernum 3, or Erika found a way to gain eternal youth(I wouldn't put it past her), then it was before Erika's time. Otherwise, she'd be an old hag by the time Avernum 3 came around. And she sure as heck wasn't.

--------------------
Soy sauce makes everything better. Except for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. Soy sauce makes Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders all sticky. And it makes them smell funny. But soy sauce makes everything else better. Just not Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
Erika's supposedly about 400 years old during the Avernums.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Although I have yet to see a source for that. I can't tell if that's something that one of the various plotlines made up (the Arena, the *i/Drakey/TM thing, etc) or if it's actually in the games.

[ Sunday, July 25, 2004 11:42: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I haven't heard 400 before, but the Exile series (and probably the Avernum series as well, but I wouldn't know) does suggest that Erika is much older than she looks. She may well be close to 100 by Exile/Avernum 3, if not older.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Erika's supposedly about 400 years old during the Avernums.
That's canon history? In the games?

400 years or no, she definitely had a way with youthful appearance. She's described as seeming to be in her twenties or thirties, and no mage could become so powerful in such a time. The studying would take decades. There's a difference between appearing young and actually being able to rejuvenate oneself and thus be effectively immortal, but still...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
The descriptions of Erika led me to believe that she was using some kind of magic to make herself a lot younger than she really is. That could be illusion, but Erika doesn't seem like the type to care about what others think of her or her appearance. Physical rejuvenation would also give her all the benefits of youth, like joints that don't crack all the time and a good back. Those could be of more tangible benefit.

—Alorael, who could see Erika having offices in magical institutions all over the Empire. She would definitely want to have her hand in every pot, everywhere, at all times.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #9
There's no record of when VoDT takes place anyway…

It's quite possible that Erika got involved in the closing of the school…oh wait. I was thinking that maybe the school closing was the issue she got sent down on, but then I remembered that it has a record of A)when it was closed and B)the Emperor that closed it, so that can't be.

Maybe Jeff just put it there to make us ask questions :P .

BTW, we finally have a sighting of YOUR POSTLINESS!!!

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Finally? I think there's been at least one sighting per day for a long time. Maybe not in the BoA section, but I do not restrict my posting fecundity to General, ET, and GC. Especially not GC!

—Alorael, who realizes he has just mauled any possibility of remaining on topic. The next poster had better salvage this.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Sadly, Alo, that will not happen. :P

EDIT: Actually, maybe it will. There is actually some record of when VoDT happens. BoA's date counter places it at 855, which makes sense given that A3's date counter starts at 833. The order to close the school is dated eighty years before your party gets there.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 18:01: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #12
Am I the only one who thinks that the presence of slimes and alien beasts in the school means that the school was still open after A3? Alien beasts were invented specifically by R-I, and pre-A3 wizards wouldn't be trying to modify them. As for Erika's age, I vaguely remember seeing her described as middle-aged in A1, which would probably allow for her to have been in late adolescence or early adulthood when banished.
Apprentice
Member # 4763
Profile Homepage #13
She's probably not eternally young or anything lik that, she's just sort of ageless. It's most likely cause of all that innate magic she posses, making her inherently stronger and giving her a longer life span than normal humans.

--------------------
I once killed a man for his teeth.
Warrior
Member # 4665
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Sadly, Alo, that will not happen. :P

EDIT: Actually, maybe it will. There is actually some record of when VoDT happens. BoA's date counter places it at 855, which makes sense given that A3's date counter starts at 833. The order to close the school is dated eighty years before your party gets there.

You're brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

--------------------
Soy sauce makes everything better. Except for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. Soy sauce makes Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders all sticky. And it makes them smell funny. But soy sauce makes everything else better. Just not Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #15
So let me get this straight:

Year 775: School is closed. Previous to this, alien beasts were being studied there.

Year 833: Avernum 3. Alien beasts created.

Uh, Jeff? WHOOPS. :D

Unless of course the alien beasts were not actually CREATED by R-I, just brought to the surface from elsewhere; perhaps some Vahnatai caves that we've never seen (the word "alien" certainly seems to imply some Vahnatai connection). Does anyone remember any explicit references to R-I creating the alien beasts?

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #16
I guess its another of Jeff's mistakes, for the reasosn above. The alien beasts were definatley a purely magical creation created by RI, so the time line is quite off. And if theyre studying alien beasts it measn that the plagues have finished and, therefore, Erika is dead. This is a different Erika. But Jeff still got it wrong on the whole closing time of the school, becasue it was closed before the plagues, meaning they couldnt have researched the alien beasts.

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
Unless, of course, there were still experiments being conducted at the School while it was officially "closed"...

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #18
We're assuming that RI invented the beasts, as well as creating them. She most certainly did create them, but there's no record of her thinking them up by herself.

And who says that the two beasts are of the same type? Aren't their stats edited for VoDT?

So it is possible that Erika got sent down about the time of the school closing, eh? Makes sense that a lot of wizards got sent down for opposing the restriction of magic and knowledge.

Your Postliness: I meant a sighting as far as the title itself goes. But I may be wrong.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Desert Pl@h:

We're assuming that RI invented the beasts, as well as creating them. She most certainly did create them, but there's no record of her thinking them up by herself.

And who says that the two beasts are of the same type? Aren't their stats edited for VoDT?

So it is possible that Erika got sent down about the time of the school closing, eh? Makes sense that a lot of wizards got sent down for opposing the restriction of magic and knowledge.

Your Postliness: I meant a sighting as far as the title itself goes. But I may be wrong.

Possible, but then, where are the winning side's rooms etc. It's probably just a mistake. I mean, I found Vinnia's room, and a few others, but I don't think they're mentioned in any of the Avernum series.

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
By my timeline, which a lot of people don't like because it's based on the Avernum games and not the Exile games -- and Jeff changed the dates for the Avernums -- Erika was exiled around the mid- to- late-770's (because she says she came down around the time of the war against Grah-Hoth and a book in Skarragath places that war at 40 years before A1, whose date counter begins at 817). By that reckoning, her exile would be shortly after the school closed. She says she was exiled because of a political struggle, presumably with Garzahd -- because he is the only major archmage not to get sent down -- and it may have been over the use of magic in the Empire: Garzahd wanted its use centralized and controlled, and Erika wanted something else.

Er, she implies that it had something to do with getting the Emperor's favor, too, though, so who knows.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #21
I agree with your timeline, but it suggests that Alien beasts were known to mages before the plagues. This is doubtfull, seeing as the alien beats would have been identified by the empire when they re-appeared as a plague. Im guessing its a Jeff mistake.

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
Well, the order also came from Emperor Stewart, and unless you're willing to believe that Stewart was Prazac's successor, he has to be a predecessor of Hawthorne. That means that the school was closed prior to A3 anyway.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #23
Wait, how do you reckon that one of those office's is Erika's?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Because the name on the door says "Erika." Again, whether this is Erika Redmark or not is unclear.

--------------------

Pages