Erika's old quarters....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Erika's old quarters....
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #25
Wasn't it Hawthorne's father that sent her down?

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Erika in A3 says: "I was a mage on the surface, working for the Empire. There was a power struggle. We all fought for Emperor Hawthorne's favor. My side lost. I, Patrick, Solberg and others were cast down into the depths, and I, their leader, was cursed!"

Erika in A2 says: "Oh, sweet Garzahd, the man, the vermin who sent me down here. Now he is in Avernum, and I want him dead!"

Erika in A1 says: "It was his [King Hawthorne's] father who sent me down here, and he [King Hawthorne] who accelerated the pace at which people were exiled."

The *i/Drakey/TM plotline accounts for this by saying that Hawthorne's father was also named Hawthorne, and that Garzahd was indirectly responsible for sending Erika down because of the power struggle.

EDIT: I tend to think that's cow digestive byproduct, personally. I say that Stewart was Hawthorne's father, and he set the process in motion, accounting for the A1 quote. I say also that Hawthorne himself was the one that did it. But I'm the only one who thinks that.

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 13:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #27
Doubt it. Erika is NOT 400 years old -- A1 establishes her age as 80 or so, doesn't it?

Count on medieval kings ruling for an average of 1 generation -- or 20 years. Some rule longer, some rule shorter, but that means that if Stewart was Emperor 100 years ago and Prazac is Empress now, you could fit three Hawthornes in the interim, easy -- as well as an interregnum in which Garzahd wielded imperial power.

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 13:37: Message edited by: Ultimate Weapon Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
You know, it's unlikely that every single Alien Beast was wiped out after A3. A few of them could have made their way to Skylark Vale, wherever that may be, and burrowed their way into the School. They had only a little trouble getting through the heavily fortified quarantine wall around Footracer Province.

—Alorael, who finds it suspicious that "Erika" has an office but no apparent role in the rather momentous proceedings surrounding the closing of the School. Erika would never be one to stand to the side in any matter directly concerning her.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4665
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Cystic Networking:

You know, it's unlikely that every single Alien Beast was wiped out after A3. A few of them could have made their way to Skylark Vale, wherever that may be, and burrowed their way into the School. They had only a little trouble getting through the heavily fortified quarantine wall around Footracer Province.

—Alorael, who finds it suspicious that "Erika" has an office but no apparent role in the rather momentous proceedings surrounding the closing of the School. Erika would never be one to stand to the side in any matter directly concerning her.

But then who 'altered' it?

Heck, we're not even sure if the thing IS an Alien Beast. It's called an 'Altered Beast'. Maybe Jeff just used the same graphic for it.

(plus, I'm pretty sure that the Altered Beast is weaker than an Alien Beast)

--------------------
Soy sauce makes everything better. Except for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. Soy sauce makes Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders all sticky. And it makes them smell funny. But soy sauce makes everything else better. Just not Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Ultimate Weapon Custer:
Count on medieval kings ruling for an average of 1 generation -- or 20 years. Some rule longer, some rule shorter, but that means that if Stewart was Emperor 100 years ago and Prazac is Empress now, you could fit three Hawthornes in the interim, easy -- as well as an interregnum in which Garzahd wielded imperial power.
By that same reasoning, we can count on Prazac NOT being Empress at the time of VoDT, which I put at twenty years after A3, when Prazac was Empress.

My chronology puts Stewart's rule ending at about 775, then Hawthorne's going from then until 817 when he is killed, and then Prazac's beginning around that time (possibly with Garzahd as some sort of regent until he dies in something like 821, although I can't remember any evidence for this in the games) and lasting until at least sometime after 833. This counts on a forty-year reign for Hawthorne, but that's not unheard of.

But again, no one that I know of agrees with me on this, so :P .

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #31
Well, you can be sure that Avernum 2 takes place just a few years after Avernum 1, and I think it was mentioned that the assassinated Hawthorne was actually Hawthorne III.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Keep:
I think it was mentioned that the assassinated Hawthorne was actually Hawthorne III.
But where? When? By whom? I hear this thrown about quite a lot on these boards, but I don't remember knowing anything about this until I registered, and I'd played A1-3 by that point. Someone give me a source on this piece of information!

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #33
What's to say that the two preceding Emperors were named Hawthorne too?

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck

Pages