Suggestion for the quest engine

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Suggestion for the quest engine
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #0
It'd be nice if there was a 'finished' quest state, rather than just on/off. Say, you could display 'finished' quests in gray or so, and it would serve better to show how much the party has done.

T'would be backward compatiable with old scripts, because they can just use 0/1 for toggle_quest():

toggle_quest(0,2); //Finished

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
That would be nice. Or even have check marks next to the Quests! Do you imagine having the text change, or just having it turn to grey?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #2
Designers could turn on another quest that was named something like "Completed Quest A." after "Quest A" was finished.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #3
Yeah, I thought of that. But that effectively halves the number of quests the designer can give. And a checkmark of greying would look nicer

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
Well, there IS a work-around...

Have a quest called "Kill the Dragon", and then have another called "Kill the Dragon (Complete)". take away the first and give the second whenever the quest is over. In fact, I might just do that with my next work...

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Sathoj:

Well, there IS a work-around...

Have a quest called "Kill the Dragon", and then have another called "Kill the Dragon (Complete)". take away the first and give the second whenever the quest is over. In fact, I might just do that with my next work...

That's what Eldiran said. And it would cut your quests effectively in half. Both of these things have been said before.

:rolleyes: Oh yes, I noticed you liked my STUPID POLL. An error of Genetics? I haven't tried being that before. Thanks! :rolleyes:

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Fifty quests seems like plenty to me, but then, I'm not making a big fat epic right now. For most small- to- medium-length scenarios, I would think that one could implement this without too much trouble.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00