Is it me... Or do the original classes. Archer, Rogue,

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Is it me... Or do the original classes. Archer, Rogue,
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
Cleric, Sorceror, and all of the others actually mean anything once you've started the game. Because I don't see any differnce between my customs, and the classes. If I make a custom with exactly the same stats as an archer, they both turn out the same. So what's the point of the starting classes???

What I'm trying to say is, DO THEY DO ANYTHING?

[ Monday, July 05, 2004 00:40: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #1
No. They're just simpler for someone who's just starting the game.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #2
I think you get more skill points if you use the caracters class, but you don't choose where you put them.
I'm not sure, but check...

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Warrior
Member # 3905
Profile #3
They're just templates making it easier for newbies to get started. But I think you get special traits, the berserker for instance has the ability 'go berserk' and so forth...
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #4
thts rite. all the startin classes do is to help newbies.an they give special abilities. but u can even get those by traits.i think.

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Character classes don't give any abilities. Character traits do. Your berserking berserker probably has the Elite Warrior trait, which does give the Go Berserk ability.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #6
Right, thanks. I was just wondering. It's just that all of my characters are custom, and I wanted to know if I'd missed anything out by starting without original classses.

~ Archmagi Micael ~

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 3905
Profile #7
quote:
Character classes don't give any abilities. Character traits do. Your berserking berserker probably has the Elite Warrior trait, which does give the Go Berserk ability.
My bad. Character classes serve only as templates... Thanks for correcting me there...
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #8
Actually, the character classes do get more skill points than the customs. The only class I've tried to recreate is Berserker, and that has about 7 or 8 more points than a custom character.
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #9
I had far too much time on my hands, apparently, because I came up with this list of starting classes and how many extra skill points you get with them compared to a custom character. Correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Cleric 11
Soldier 7
Archer 10
Berserker 8
Rebel 9
Sorcerer 10
Shaman 8
H. Wizard 13

Some of these are a great deal if you plan on getting all the skills anyway...

--------------------
"'I saw the duckling hatch and disappear.
Sadly I ask who may have taken it.'"
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #10
*sob* .......
I knew it!

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #11
The templates are still pretty bad. I mean, look at Rebels. Rebels SUCK. (2 points in every single fighting skill? What a waste!)

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #12
Actually, berserkers, archers, soldiers, clerics, and sorcerers are all quite useful. I use them all. They save time, and I get more skill points. Win-win situation, in my mind.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #13
I like the rogue, it's playable, and you just add two priest points to make a decent adventurer...And, you save some skill points...

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #14
dam.i had no idea tht u get extra skill pts. thts cool. but still i like to make my own custom PCs better. dont u?though archers an beserkers r damn cool.

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #15
Well, the way I see it, you can make them your own after you gain some levels. For instance, my archer is basically a rogue as well, because for a few levels I gave him nothing but tool use, so now he has like 20, and disarming traps and unlocking doors is a foregone conclusion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
IMHO, only Berserker and Hedge Wizard are really worthwhile. The other classes have too many points wasted in skills you won't use.
Warrior
Member # 2189
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Prophet_of_Doom:

Actually, berserkers, archers, soldiers, clerics, and sorcerers are all quite useful. I use them all. They save time, and I get more skill points. Win-win situation, in my mind.
Win-win situation? You lose some points from skills you are going to use, to another that you won't be using.

Playing a singleton is a different thing, as you'll be jack-of-all-trades