BLOODTHIRSTY ME

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BLOODTHIRSTY ME
Infiltrator
Member # 1418
Profile Homepage #0
And how blood and gore makes a game better? Besides, the designer decides the amount of violence.

--------------------
Geneforge 2 Editor
Shock Trooper
Member # 1973
Profile Homepage #2
You could probably do it by making the corpses items and somehow making it so all creatures drop them when they die. Maybe not, though.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
i believe, Machizmo, that you lack something known as "imagination".

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #5
I beleive the poster of this topic is in the wrong place. You must be looking for the Diablo 2 / Quake / Testosterone driven Teenager Forum.

Avernum is a game for those who have risen above the need for senseless violence. I, for one, prefer a captivating story peppered with intricate plot twists to any amount of violence.

-------- --------

Roses are red,
Violence is too,
Give me a shotgun,
I'll demonstrate for you.
- Written by Motekye.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #6
I doubt it would be hard to make a monster drop a "Bloody Corpse" item, the only problem that would occur is if a dungeon has too many corpses lying around. Not only could it easily max out the item limit, but it would be annoying to have to sift through the corpses to find the useful items. In short, I don't like the idea. If you want violence, play Half-Life. It's a lovely Mature-rated game in which you can splatter things on the walls.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Machizmo, please. Use the edit button instead of double posting. This is a warning.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #10
You could probably edit the monsters so that they leave a body after they die, like slimes leave slime, undead leave bones etc. It depends if the editor will let you customise that (i cant remember to what extent BoE does it, i think it just depends on the type of monster).

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #11
You could make a monster drop a corpse in BoE. In the special properties sub-screen (where you dictated stuff like special abilities, breath and poison), there was a 'drop item on death' field where you could input the item number and the % chance of dropping it. Just create an item called 'carcass' or whatever, and put that item in the aforementioned field at 100%.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
100% doesn't mean all the time. It only drops items 95% of the time.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
The other %5 of the time the corpse is so hacked, charred, and otherwise demolished by your party that there's nothing left worth talking about. In fact, given the amount of damage needed to turn a character into dust, I'd say that it should happen quite a bit more than %5 of the time.

—Alorael, who doesn't see why it matters. Corpses add very litle, they'd be a pain to deal with with item limits, and most people don't want them. On top of that, it would probably raise the rating and make parents disapprove of the 'graphic' violence.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #14
Adding the corpses would also make the games harder to run for older computers, and the save files would grow in size if they should lie aruond for a while before disappearing.

Though if you make the corpse graphics already included in the game for every bit of terrain, you've already got a humanoid corpse image, then you'd just have to script the tiles to change whenever a monster dies.

[ Saturday, November 16, 2002 14:02: Message edited by: Squeaker of Soles ]
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Motekye:
I beleive the poster of this topic is in the wrong place. You must be looking for the Diablo 2 / Quake / Testosterone driven Teenager Forum.

o goodie!and where do i find those?

I beleive It's called UseNet.

Besides, corpses are annoying and uneccessary aspects of the game. I've never liked them.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #16
Interesting. I didn't know those sorts of caps existed in BoE. I agree about corpses being more of a hassle than anything. Still, after a major boss battle, you could set up a special string to change the terrain to a corpse picture. It would be a sorta cool effect, though nothing special.

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
It would be hard to figure out which space the baddie died on, though.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 1418
Profile Homepage #18
You could make it like the Alien Slime and have slime/blood splatter all over the place. (or was the slime already there?)

--------------------
Geneforge 2 Editor
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
Monsters of the Slime type leave slime when they die. Most of the slime was probably there already, though.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 1418
Profile Homepage #20
I just played through the Slime Pit again (I know, I'm weird) and indeed, most of the slime was already there. *admits defeat*

--------------------
Geneforge 2 Editor
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #21
Can this topic GET GUN now? I have a nice picture of a .45 Auto, see:
IMAGE(http://www.colt.com/colt/assets/images/a2a2_m1991a1stainless.gif)

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #22
I think I can lay claim to being the first to implement the corpse idea, in my BoE scenario 'Deadly Goblins'. I had a setup so you could cut the ears off a dead goblin and sell them later for a bounty. I never used it for gore - I have a hearty dislike for unnecessary violence.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #23
In Pyrog's Cave in Avernum 2, corpse tiles appear (albeit in fixed positions) if you release the mutant giants in the lab.

I prefer chess-style violence. Strategy and tactics are more interesting than gore...
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #24
Well if you consider minor bounty items 'corpses' then Jeff can actually lay claim to being the first to include corpses, e.g. The unicorn horns in Exile 3. Possibly in exile 1 as well. I can't remember if they had aranea fangs there, or if those were put first included in Avernum.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
PB: Alex
I prefer chess-style violence. Strategy and tactics are more interesting than gore...

I played an old dos game, perhaps you heard of it. It's called "Battle Chess", the capturing of peices was animated. Humorous too, when the pawn captured the knight, he would kick the knight in groin and impail him on a spear. I really liked the game.

Anyways, all that game had going for it was humor and perhaps a few chess fanatics. Avernum has so much more, it's insulting to the game to make it stoop that low.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #26
CHRIST! THEY'RE CRAWLING ALL OVER ME

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #27
Okay...What in god's name was that? First the gun and now motekye appears to be hallucinating... Everyone in this string would seem to be farging stoned. Or something.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #28
Oh, yes!!! I know what Motekye is talking about... Battle Chess was hilarious, I really loved the animations... I remember the knight one, lol.

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!

Pages