BoA Potion Pictures... Are they legal?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA Potion Pictures... Are they legal?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
Do any of you know if the new potion pictures for BoA are legal, because they are exactly the same as another game I have, right down to pixel. The game is called 'DUNGEON ODDESSY', and it's from a completely different company. I'm just wondering if Malfador Machinations knows about this... and what would happen if they found out. :confused:

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #1
I'm betting that nobody really cares. Besides the fact that those graphics were probably either free or Jeff obtained permission to use them.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I'm betting that nobody really cares. Besides the fact that those graphics were probably either free or Jeff obtained permission to use them.
I know, but it would be a shame if Jeff bought them from some idiot who was out to make some money and gets sued from it - think - no more brilliant games...

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #3
They're make by Andrew Hunter, right?
Ander Hunter freelance-works for SpidWeb, right?
Jeff's the founder of SpidWeb, right?
So, Andrew works for Jeff, right?

Yeah, he's got the permissions.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Apprentice
Member # 1913
Profile #4
They also appear as the Tk graphic tiles for various *band variants (Ang, Zang, Kang). My guess is they're freely available to anyone who wants to use them, but I don't know that for sure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #5
Hngh? Well, the old graphics are Andrew's for sure, and the credits clearly state that the new ones would be too.. :/

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Apprentice
Member # 1716
Profile #6
I seem to recall hearing, a few years ago, that Spiderweb buys it's graphics from another company or individual. But it doesn't buy the sole rights to those graphics, just permission to use them in a game or games, possibly. I've seen a handful of other shareware or low-budget games with the same graphics over the years.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'd like to hear the details about it from Jeff, if he happens to drop in.

[ Monday, June 14, 2004 13:01: Message edited by: Cole ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #7
Why do I even bother to type my messages seeings as you clearly don't read them..

That all mysterious invidual = Andrew Hunter (readm y first post, thx).

Andrew worked for whatever company before Jeff found out of him, yeah, and probably still works.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #8
From the website, About Us page:
quote:

Graphic Artist?

Our games have an increasingly voracious appetite for new graphics of all sizes. We buy lots of graphics and pay well (lump sum payments, full rights, no royalties). Please send us a link to a web page with your portfolio or samples of your work. If none of your work is online, mail us some printed samples to PO Box 85659, Seattle, WA 98145. Note that, while we like larger graphics, we're much more interested in icons (36x36 pixels or less people, monsters, etc.).
This is presumably the arrangement they buy all pictures under, so Jeff gets the rights to use the pictures however he wants to without paying royalties, and presumably (since they're non-royalty) the artist retains the rights to them too.

TGM: Actually, phrasing it that way ("Andrew works for Jeff") is misleading...Andrew creates graphics and JV buys some of them, but Andrew isn't part of SW.

And Cole, it says all that stuff about buying other folks' graphics in the instruction manuals (which I'd quote, except they aren't on this comp).

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Orignally Posted By Jeff Vogel:
WELL OH SORRY MR. DUDE WHOEVERTHEHELL FOR MY MISTAKE. I THINK I'LL GO SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW, YOU FINE WITH THAT?
Everybody (who bothered to read my posts, that is) got my message, without you trying to be witty. That is all. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]