Sweet baby... this game is cool...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sweet baby... this game is cool...
Warrior
Member # 3376
Profile #0
finally it's out... thanks a lot..

btw, for a first timer, who wants to truly enjoy the game, what do u think my first party shld consists of?

btw, is there any good guide out there?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #1
Your party can consist of anything you want. Though for people who are new to BoA, a skilled mage is recommended.

There is a good guide in the game manual.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Surprisingly, having a thief is actually useful in BoA.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
We've been having some discussions of parties over in this thread. I like a quartet: a pure fighter, a fighter with utility skills like tool use, a priest, and a mage. The second fighter could be an archer or an extra priest or mage, too. Other people like different party alignments, most notably singletons (1-person parties).

The hint book has decent walkthroughs, but it may not be worth it since you can just ask us or open up the scenarios and look at them.

[ Sunday, June 06, 2004 17:26: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3376
Profile #4
great thanks a lot.

btw,i don't quite understand the part on "open up the scenarios and look at them"

u mean i cna see the source codes?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
You can see the Avernumscript codes, sure. Open up those text files in the scenarios' folders. In order to understand them, you may have to download the Scenario Editor (here) and look through the docs. You can use the Editor to look at the maps of the towns, too, and the locations of all the items and monsters. Same thing for the outdoor areas.

So yeah, basically you can see every component part of the scenarios.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 1345
Profile Homepage #6
hey, on the thief idea, is it still worth 50xp whenever you unlock a door etc?

--------------------
I may come across sounding more official then I actually am. Or not.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Yes.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 1345
Profile Homepage #8
oh ok. I kinda found that annoying during testing. I mean, I could have a half decent thief in my party with some fine lockpicks, run around and pick 20 doors in towns etc and there you go, up a level (roughly, give or take some xp). but it'd be too difficult and not worth it to make the locks have a similar xp system to killing creatures(e.g. harder the lock, more experience. easier the lock, less experience).

looking over that idea it does seem kinda stupid. meh. still bugs me that every door, no matter how hard or what it holds is worth the same. the easier doors in towns should be worth less, while the ones down in dungeons blocking your way to masses of treasure should be worth more. or maybe thats just me.

--------------------
I may come across sounding more official then I actually am. Or not.
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #9
Now it's out for PC. Yeehaw. Yee, and DARE I say it, HAW!

Wait, one problem: the map and view are both too small.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
The map and the view? Do you mean for BoA itself? Because if so, it's the same as every other Avernum, I think. If you mean the view in the editor, I kind of agree.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #11
So does the Misterhood. It's pain to draw with that view at times.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by fallen_avatar:

oh ok. I kinda found that annoying during testing. I mean, I could have a half decent thief in my party with some fine lockpicks, run around and pick 20 doors in towns etc and there you go, up a level (roughly, give or take some xp). but it'd be too difficult and not worth it to make the locks have a similar xp system to killing creatures(e.g. harder the lock, more experience. easier the lock, less experience).

looking over that idea it does seem kinda stupid. meh. still bugs me that every door, no matter how hard or what it holds is worth the same. the easier doors in towns should be worth less, while the ones down in dungeons blocking your way to masses of treasure should be worth more. or maybe thats just me.

Although it says 50 experience every time, that's not true. For each character, the experience is modified for that character's level based on the lock difficulty, as if the lock were a monster of level 1 + (2 * lock difficulty).

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.