Interesting solo character...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Interesting solo character...
Warrior
Member # 2147
Profile #0
I just started VoDT with an... interesting singleton. A Divinely Touched, Fast on Feet Nephil with 3 points in strength, 8 in Dexterity, 8 in thrown missiles, 3 in Int, 3 in Endurance, 6 points in Tool Use, 1 in Arcane Lore... and 3 in Sharpshooter. As a level 1 character. The first thing I did was go and run to the archery shop, and get a leather sling. Then, I went back to fort Talrus and killed the rats -- at 50 damage each throw! Sure, she has 16 health, and is gonna be hell to balance out, but WHO CARES? infinite shot, 50 damage, and I can always keep some nice javalins for big bosses...

Oh, this is gonna be a fun fur to play!
Warrior
Member # 2147
Profile #1
Oh, one more question -- What is the point where I should stop putting points into thrown missiles and put it into only sharpshooter? How high does dexterity have to be to get extra movement bonuses? Quick strike? And what skills add movement bonuses other than dexterity? Basically, what should I be going for? Does assassinate help missile damage? Anatomy?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Thrown Missiles? Eww. Well, to each their own. I believe a point in SS is equal to a point in both TM and Archery, so get whichever is cheaper and then build them both equally once the point costs become equal. If you plan to use archery as well as thrown missiles, put more points into Sharpshooter.

I don't believe you ever get an AP bonus from dexterity alone. You get Quick Action at 8 dexterity, but unfortunately I think it also requires some training in Melee or Pole Weapons. Get strength and dexterity high enough (I think you need str 8 and dex 10) and you may be eligible for Gymnastics, which also gives AP bonuses; I forget whether Gymnastics also requires a weapon skill.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 2147
Profile #3
Hey! what's wrong with thrown missiles?

This way you get infinite ammo, and you can get high damaging stuff too (waveblades for the next scenarios are what I plan on doing...)

And I want to be able to fire 3 times. what's the sure-fire way to do that, every single turn? How much (insert something here) do I need?

[ Sunday, June 06, 2004 12:49: Message edited by: GavinFox ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
3 times? I don't think you can get AP *that* high without Divine Aid.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2147
Profile #5
you sure? 100% sure on that?

Hmmm... *ponders* maybe I shoulda given her "Natural Mage" instead, so she could get Haste eventually, and still wear armor...

I'm trying to figure out what she would get, if it would be possible to have her only wear light armor as part of her character... that might be neat... is the mage wearing armor thing just a percentage to fail? Or when they are encumbered (in the number-way) period? How does that work?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
It seems to be a complete inability to cast spells above Slow if they're more than a little encumbered.

Anyway, I'm almost certain you can't get to 9 AP normally (which you'd need to get 3 attacks/round). You might just be able to do it with AP-boosting equipment and high Quick Action and Gymnastics, but I doubt you could do it consistently.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Get strength and dexterity high enough (I think you need str 8 and dex 10) and you may be eligible for Gymnastics, which also gives AP bonuses;
Gymnastics doesn't give any AP bonuses from what I've seen, only Quick Strike.

quote:
Originally written by GavinFox:

[QB][/QB]I'm trying to figure out what she would get, if it would be possible to have her only wear light armor as part of her character... that might be neat... is the mage wearing armor thing just a percentage to fail? Or when they are encumbered (in the number-way) period? How does that work?
It's dependant on whether you're wearing any encumbering armor at all, even if your encumberance level is 0 (Defense skill reduces it). However, this only affects spells stronger than Slow. Since the Haste spell is lower than Slow you can still cast it while wearing armor. If you plan on being able to cast the high level spells eventually though, you should get the Natural Mage trait.
Warrior
Member # 2147
Profile #8
Nah, just Haste and Light and Slow, really. She's gonna be more of a priest..

And is there *any* way to have, standard, enough movement points for three attacks? How much Dex and Quick Strike would one need for that? At what point is it that more Dex wouldn't matter? I'm trying to figure out the balance of "most benefit at any given time" here...

[ Sunday, June 06, 2004 14:15: Message edited by: GavinFox ]
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #9
quote:

Nah, just Haste and Light and Slow, really. She's gonna be more of a priest..

And is there *any* way to have, standard, enough movement points for three attacks? How much Dex and Quick Strike would one need for that? At what point is it that more Dex wouldn't matter? I'm trying to figure out the balance of "most benefit at any given time" here...

I don't believe it's possible to have 9+ AP *every* turn, at least without Divine Aid. As was mentioned above, Dex does not give any AP bonus. Quick Strike randomly gives a +2 bonus to AP, with the chance of that happening dependant on how much skill you have in it (but will never give more than +2). Fast on Feet randomly gives a +1 bonus to AP. Haste gives a constant +2 bonus to AP. Items such as the Slippers of Speed will randomly give AP bonuses up to their maximum.

So, with Haste (+2), Quick Strike (+0 or +2), Fast on Feet (+0 or +1), and Slippers of Speed (+0 or +1), your AP will vary from 6 to 10 each turn. You can increase the maximum amount by equiping other items that boost AP, but the minimum will never rise above 6 (except possibly with Divine Aid, which I think doubles your AP).
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
War Blessing at level 3 or higher will make a singleton virtually invincible.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #11
In one of the scenarios (I believe its Diplomacy) there is an item called "dress of speed" or something like that. That will help.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #12
Very interesting singleton, Gavinfox. I like the ranged attack with unlimited ammo and 50 damage points, even if you only get one shot per turn. I'd suggest a couple levels of priest skills soon, so you can cast heal, cure and war blessing.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Warrior
Member # 3376
Profile #13
quote:

Hey! what's wrong with thrown missiles?

This way you get infinite ammo, and you can get high damaging stuff too (waveblades for the next scenarios are what I plan on doing...)

And I want to be able to fire 3 times. what's the sure-fire way to do that, every single turn? How much (insert something here) do I need?

hi, what do u mean by infinite ammo?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #14
Since slings throw rocks from the ground, it makes sense that they have unlimited ammo.
Warrior
Member # 3376
Profile #15
i see...

btw, gavin, where is the vendor that sells sling? i couldn't find him.

And do mind explaining what's with waveblades?
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #16
The vendor who sells a sling is in the western town of Marallis. (sp?)

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #17
You can find a sling in the hut in the south-eastern corner of Sweetgrove. You have to fight a few rats to get it.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
*bump* To preserve material