Avrenum Series as Blades of Avernum Scenerios.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avrenum Series as Blades of Avernum Scenerios.
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
I would like to see the Avernum series of games recreated as scenerios for Blades of Avernum. Though I understand that Spiderweb software does not have the time nor resources to do it themselves. How ever I would be willing to do the job myself if Spiderweb software gives thier permission.
Apprentice
Member # 4185
Profile Homepage #1
It's a great idea, really. I've thought the same thing myself - it would be amazing to send your party between the different Avernums and see it evolve! I think there are two major problems, though:

1. Spiderweb Software is still selling the original Avernum games. If you made a perfect recreation of these avalible for free, very few would buy them. But you're asking for Spiderweb's permission and maybe you can find a solution. Perhaps they could sell the scenarios with the games?

2. The bigger problem (which someone would have remarked sooner or later anyway, probably sooner) is that you will spend the rest of your life doing this. Though you are just going to copy Avernum 1, 2 and 3 I shudder at the thought of how much time and work you will have to spend doing this, and you will probably give up after the first game at the very best. I don't know you, maybe you're some supernatural being, though to me it sounds like an almost impossible project.

But then again, it's a GREAT idea. Wish you luck.

--------------------
Rufo, Vahnatai Ka, Te Pinoat
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Why?

So you or other people can play them without registering?

There's no point, it's too much work, and a lot of the stuff can't be translated to Avernumscript.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #3
This is one of those ideas that pops up every now and then, along with collaboration on scenarios. They sometimes get shouted down, but sometimes we just don't bother - after all, no one ever comes close to finishing them.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
And perhaps the whole fact about me already owning the Avernum series... why would I want to play through that again? In the time it would take to complete this, you could make so much better, original stuff.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #5
It's unoriginal, if you can't come up with your own idea, don't steal someone else's. Fery few copies of anything are as good as the original.

--------------------
fishing
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Given that it took Jeff approximately four years working full time to create A1-3, I'd say offhand that you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of finishing this endeavor. Even if you did, why? The spell system has been significantly redone for Blades, so things wouldn't work right.

A1-3 already exist. I can't imagine why you would want to recreate them.

However, recreating small portions of Avernum and setting a Blades scenario inside the Avernum universe is not a bad idea. This holds promise (or at least I would hope so, given that this is what I'm doing).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00