Weird archery bug!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Weird archery bug!
Apprentice
Member # 4430
Profile #0
Here's a strange bug. None of my archer's bolts or arrows are staying on the ground after being fired. I'm losing them all.

I'm in the Za-Khazi run with a level 35 party (ok, so I've got some insecurity issues - actually, I'm just looking for treasure I might have missed). My archer has a blessed crossbow and a blessed bow, and is using iron, steel, and blessed arrows and bolts. She's got strength 10, dexterity 12, endurance 11, bows 9, and sharpshooter 6. Her other stats are fairly low.

This just started up when I reloaded a saved game (version 1.0.1) right at the start of the Spiraling Crypt (the one where you have to get the key to reach the barge docks). Earlier in the game my archer was able to recover all her weapons.

Some of these missiles were purchased from Kimzahn, whom I then killed. Is this his curse? Is the game just scolding me for using an overqualified party? If this keeps up, my archer will ruin me financially! :rolleyes:
Apprentice
Member # 4430
Profile #1
To clarify: earlier in the game my archer was able to recover, not all her missile weapons, but a relatively high percentage of missiles fired, as normal. Now she's losing every one of them.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
Just a random guess - perhaps arrows are more likely to be recovered if you miss, and your high-level archer doesn't miss much.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Actually, this is a change in version 1.0.1. Archery was severely rebalanced.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 4430
Profile #4
Hmmm...so does this rebalancing mean I'll have to train up my archer in melee skills, since she fires off a couple of dozen shots in every serious conflict, and we'll never be able to purchase and carry enough for a long expedition if we can't recover them?

Somewhere in this game, can I find Legolas's bottomless quiver of arrows? :D
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
It's probably still feasible to have a melee-less archer, but you'd have to buy a lot of arrows. A little melee skill might be a good investment.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Strength is valuable for archers- since they will, by their nature, need all 99 arrows they can carry. (Also, did you ever notice how powerful the Empire Archer's melee is?)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4430
Profile #7
Never occurred to me to check the Empire archer's melee; I was too busy ducking and desperately hitting them with fireballs!
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #8
So since 1.0.1 Archer bacame as useless than they are in BoE? Bad news.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
No, since archers can actually do reasonable damage in the Avernum series, from what I've heard.
Apprentice
Member # 4437
Profile #10
The lose of arrows totaly ilimnated the hole reason my worrior was carrying a bow, it sucks, i just never rember to sell his stock pill of steel arrows -.-

--------------------
"Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects."
-- Roger Zelazny (1937-95),
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #11
I remember my archer in A3 having an infinate arrow, which was nice for my lazy self. Since BoA apparently lacks this, I stopped using bows and started putting my archer's stats into missle weapons. If you can find a Blessed Sling (It's not that hard) they do a fairly high level of damage and don't require any ammo.

--------------------
Polaris Board
Warrior
Member # 20
Profile #12
Yes, you will still be able to afford arrows/bolts. When you first start you can afford crude arrows by the time you run out of the crude arrows you can find lying around, and by 35 you should be able to afford steel bolts without any great deal of difficulty.

If you cannot afford to keep yourself stocked with steel bolts by this time, you need to evaluate your spending habits, perhaps cutting into your characters' brothel expense accounts.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #13
You are probably right with one archer in the party, with four archer and all arrows/bolts lost, I'm not sure.

Additionaly the problem is that it makes you carry much more bolts/arrows that have a strong weight.

[ Monday, May 31, 2004 17:50: Message edited by: Vent ]