BoA slow

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA slow
Apprentice
Member # 4354
Profile #0
Set aside that I am a big fan of all avernum games and of their programmer, I was wondering why Avernum after Avernum the game keeps getting slower and slower. I mean, on a reasonably good computer the Avernum games should go really fast: there are almost no animations...

As soon as there is a 5*5 pixel explosion the game slows! When it has to play a sound it slows! When it has to calculate the damage you made it slows! I mean, what kind of RandomNumberGenerator is Vogel using :D ??

Ok there is the scripting language that might be heavy but... I have some experience programming (radicalrebound.com, hint hint...) and I don't really think the computations involved can take so much time...

oh well, time to buy a new mac...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
Sadly, I can't think of a possible explanation for this. I won't attempt to insult your intelligence by telling you to exit all other running programs, but MAYBE that's your problem. You should perhaps bring this up in the Tech Support area.

Other than that, I can't help you seeing as I don't have this problem. Then again, I have a real gaming machine.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I have the same problem. All I can do is exit every other program BEFORE I start BoA (for some reason, it doesn't matter if I do it afterwards). I'm on OS X, and the games that run in Classic mode (A1, A2) run much faster for me than the ones that run OS X native, which seems backwards.

(I do the same thing with A3, by the way.)

[ Thursday, May 06, 2004 14:39: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #3
I, too, have noticed this problem. I use an archaic OS9 iMac that will very shortly be replaced, though, so I'm not awfully concerned.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #4
I have a basic iMac G3. I use MacOS 9.0. The only hardware upgrade it has had is RAM. At first I had the same problem with everything running slow, but I went back and downloaded the new version of BoA and now it runs much more smoothly.

Edit: typos, and a poorly worded sentence.

[ Thursday, May 06, 2004 20:35: Message edited by: Ragnarok Hellcaller ]

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Ragnarok Hellcaller:

I have a basic iMac G3. I use MacOS 9.0. The only hardware upgrade it has had is RAM.
That's one more than mine has ever had, chap. :P

EDIT: I've downloaded the new version of BoA as well, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

[ Thursday, May 06, 2004 22:47: Message edited by: Slammin' Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
You can set some speed options in the preferences. Also, turning off sounds will speed up the game a lot.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #7
I had the delay-problem too. I'm on OS 9.2 and it helped, when gave more storage to the program.
edit language: I mean more memory :)

[ Friday, May 07, 2004 02:11: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?