Playing through the included campaigns...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Playing through the included campaigns...
Apprentice
Member # 4245
Profile #0
... with JUST ONE CHARACTER!! BOOHAA!!

Think it can be done?

Call me crazy, but I'm giving it a shot. Of course I'm making the beefiest, most hp-loaded musclehead I can. I think it'll be tough as hell, and probably damn near impossible for some "boss" fights, but it outta be fun regardless.

PS - i've never played Blades before, but have played the Exile and Avernum series to death.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
It can be and has been done. Some people swear by their singletons, as such one character parties are known. I think it takes someone much more skillful than I am to pull it off, but giving it a try is a lot of fun.

—Alorael, who gave up after goblins handed his singleton's intestines to him of a silver platter. Some people were just meant to have multiple personalities. Four of them, to be precise.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Of course it can be done. I did it, and I entered VoDT and ASR with a level 1 singleton, and I played ZKR with a PC that had come out of VoDT, and DwtD with the resulting PC.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4245
Profile #3
*snaps fingers*... and here I was thinking I was being all original :rolleyes:
Apprentice
Member # 4243
Profile #4
i never attempt to actully do anything with singletons. the only time i tryed i got creamed by giant lizards, unicorns, and goblins- monsters i usually can beat
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #5
If you can start them off right, and focus on the weakest enemies in the smallest groups, you should do fine. That is my strategy for singletons anyway.
Apprentice
Member # 4160
Profile #6
Much dexterity, quick strike, and gymnastics help greatly
Apprentice
Member # 4185
Profile Homepage #7
One-character parties get lots of more experience from monsters, as the one character get all the XP instead of sharing it. So you would theoretically level up faster, which seems to be quite an advantage. Still, I shudder at the thought of some of the boss fights with just one character.
But for more experinced players it could certenly be worth a try.

--------------------
Rufo, Vahnatai Ka, Te Pinoat
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #8
You just need to learn when to run away from a battle for the first few levels. Kill what you can and get out. Also, with a singleton you don't want to stress melee combat right away. It is much better to start out as a mage who can cast ice lances. Gain a few levels that way and then pick up your blades.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

You just need to learn when to run away from a battle for the first few levels. Kill what you can and get out. Also, with a singleton you don't want to stress melee combat right away. It is much better to start out as a mage who can cast ice lances. Gain a few levels that way and then pick up your blades.
Agreed. You want at least level 5 Mage Spells and level 3 Priest Spells to begin with. Haste yourself then blast everything :) Heal and bless as necessary.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #10
Oh, and Natural Mage is a must. Then, pick either Elite Warrior or Fast On Feet.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #11
You can use a slith and ignore elite warrior. I also find strong back to be especially useful for a singleton.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
I generally prefer to ignore mage spells altogether. I like to pick Divinely Touched and Fast on Feet.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #13
On A2 & A3 my singletons had Divinely touched but this time he only has elite warrior and fast on feet. It's on hard and I managed to complete all four scenarios with the supposed bosses being easy compared to some of the outdoor encounters which where often Impossible.