Cleric/Sorcerer Combination

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Cleric/Sorcerer Combination
Apprentice
Member # 3813
Profile Homepage #0
Has anyone created a Custom Character and spit their spell levels between Cleric and Sorcerer? I've done that with my current party, which looks like this:
SoldierArcherRogueCustom Cleric/SorcererThus far this combination seems to be the best of all the parties I've created and messed around with in VotD. But how would this fair in subsequent scenarious? Do the remaining three scenarious rely heavily upon higher-level clerics and sorcerers than I'm going to achieve with a cleric splitting his points between the two classes?
What are others' experiences creating a custom character template like this?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Most people use custom characters for everything.

When I use a four-PC party (which isn't often), I'll have two fighters (both with a little priest skill) a mage with a little priest skill, and a priest with a little mage skill.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I often use a two-person party with a fighter and a cleric/mage. It doesn't seem to be as successful in BoA as it was in A2, because BoA is more akin to A3 than A2, and the system just doesn't encourage this. Still, I'm playing on Torment and I'm halfway through ZKR and I seem to be fine.

My favorite four-person party is a fighter/archer, a fighter/rogue (ie with Tool Use and utility skills like this), a priest who eventually trains to be a mage after priest is maxed out, and a mage who trains to be a priest after mage is maxed out. Not sure if this will work at all well in BoA, though; I haven't tried it. It was pretty good in A3, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #3
When you say, "maxed out", what do you mean? Over 8 skill points per level, or an actual limit?

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I make parties of two fighters, one with tool use, and two characters with their lessons split evenly between mage and priest skills. In the beginning it means they're not so great, as they have no intelligence to speak of, but they have plenty of spell points and they can almost always cast all the spells they can find of both the mage and priest varieties.

—Alorael, who would say that the limit on the spell skills is the amount required to cast the highest spell. In BoA, that's 17 of each.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #5
i usually custom it to this

Fighter/throwing weaps
archer/rogue with some melee
Priest
mage

in a 1pc party which i find impossible to do (safety in numbers, heh) i usually give him about 4-6 of every skill with the char editor so he doesnt get %$#&ed every 2 minutes, heh
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I'm using 3 custom fighters (2 melee, 1 pole; one of the melee fighters has Tool Use built up) and a Hedge Wizard (on whom I build up Mage and Priest spells about equally).

[ Saturday, April 03, 2004 17:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
When you say, "maxed out", what do you mean?
I meant until Priest Spells or Mage Spells are at 18 (EDIT: when I was playing A1-3, that is; apparently it's 17 for BoA -- Alorael was right about what I meant), which of course is not the maximum, but there's not much point in raising them above that.

[ Saturday, April 03, 2004 13:05: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4162
Profile Homepage #8
I think a cleric fighter combination is usually more strategically economic. Because both mages and clerics have veru useful spells, so if you converge all your high level spells into one character you will often be faced with a choice between both spell trees.

Because there is not a lot of demand on group formation (there is some degree of formation tactics), you have a greater window of opportunity pre-engagement to fire arrows and cast a spell or two. For this reason I usually make a typical fighter with some bow skills, a second level fighter with high level cleric skills, an archer with weak melee and healing/curing capacity and a pure mage with first level healing/curing.

Thiuus way formation comes natural in most situations and a combination of innate enhancement spells (cleric spells) and raw offensive can be accomplished with the first round.

Although Im inclined to use haste as my first spell on my mage. Personally I think haste being such a useful innate enhancement should be a cleric oreintated spell. Whereas slow can be thought of as an alteration (external physical affecting) spell.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
I find that I'm building up spell levels significantly faster than I'm learning new spells. Having only one spellcaster is annoying sometimes (although once he's hasted I find I don't really need more spells than I get), but having 3 fighters is certainly nice.

I'll probably give one or two of my fighters a few points of bow skills eventually, but the trouble with archery is that I never remember to use it.

[ Monday, April 05, 2004 12:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I find that I'm building up spell levels significantly faster than I'm learning new spells.
I noticed this, too, until I reached DwtD. It was pretty annoying to find a couple of the "Arcane" spells and be nowhere near the mage level to learn them.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Apprentice
Member # 3813
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Thunvael:

I think a cleric fighter combination is usually more strategically economic. Because both mages and clerics have veru useful spells, so if you converge all your high level spells into one character you will often be faced with a choice between both spell trees.
Yeah - I'm realizing that now. Those times when I have to choose between an offensive magic spell or "I'd-better-save-my-fighter's-ass-now" spell are a bit frustrating. My Rogue's points are split evenly between Tool Use and Bows - so she's capable of adding some firepower to my Soldier and Rogue.