Whats BoA about

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Whats BoA about
Apprentice
Member # 17922
Profile #0
I just joined the fourms not too long ago (like 5 mins ago) and i saw this game as well as genforge 1-4 and all of the other games could somebody give me a quick run thru of what they are bout

--------------------
Eat my Army of Intelligent Thads oh wait did i just say Intelligent Thads?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #1
BoA is like the other Avernums (1-3) except instead of one giant quest you play through scenarios. The game comes with four default scenarios and you can download player made scenarios to play through. Most are quite good.

You can also make your own scenarios by downloading the scenario editor, but it'll take some practice and learning before you can make anything.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
It's about whatever the designer wants it to be about. Jeff's scenarios, and some third party scenarios as well, follow Avernum canon and take place in the same world as the trilogies. But just as many third party scenarios take place in the designer's own world, and anything goes there.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

BoA is like the other Avernums (1-3) except instead of one giant quest you play through scenarios, and BoA is 10x more amazing.
FYT.

Seriously, though. The ability to create your own adventures gives BoA a value of relatively enormous proportions. Especially once you understand how to manipulate the system and develop workarounds for problems.

Oh. Welcome to Spiderweb, by the way. Leave your sanity at the door.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
Also, if you ever go into BoA scenario designing, you can always ask us for help, and since I started designing for it not too long ago, I remember how I got myself used to it so I can give you tips on getting started.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Apprentice
Member # 17956
Profile #5
Ooh, can I have some of those tips please? I too am a noob but I love designing adventures, thats most of the reason I bought this game.

--------------------
Deus Mechanicus!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #6
One of the best ones I can give is to not try to jump in head first and make the world-changing scenario, because you'll look at it and it'll be way too daunting. Before even releasing my first (and only) complete scenario, I did a ton of experimenting and studying of other scenarios. And then when I did finish, it was pretty simple and very short, and still needed improvement.

So yeah… start small.

EDIT: I suppose I can extend the same welcome to you too, Ghost.

[ Sunday, May 11, 2008 13:57: Message edited by: Gavin ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
My (somewhat dated) advice is at the Designer FAQ. Various resources are available through my (also somewhat dated) links list. TM wrote a scenario that's designed to show how scenarios can be made, which is worth a look.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00