BoA graphic - PC sitting in chair !

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA graphic - PC sitting in chair !
Apprentice
Member # 3886
Profile #0
Hi,

I am not sure it is the best place to post this topic, so please, replace if necessary.

I've seen a few official and custom graphics for the upcoming BoA. Draw PC, NPC, monsters is not so hard because the game use basic colour and low graphic resolution, but there is something VERY VERY annoying and not ingenious at all! What ? The characters sitting in a chair... Well, I can understand that you need to keep a special place for PC and NPC in sit position, but for people who would like to draw their own PC, it will be a nightmare. It takes a lot of time to draw people with a chair, and next, it supposes that ALL THE CHAIRS in the BoA will be the SAME! No way to sit on a bench, on a throne, on a wooden chair, on a rock, etc. I am sure it would better not to include the chair within the graphic, but just a PC in a sitting position, that will be easy to adapt to any chair. Probably you did it because it was easier, more convenient, but please, it will give a lot of hard time to draw and it is not a clever solution...

Please Jeff, take off the chair ! Find a trick!

Thank you.
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #1
You are correct. But go ahead and draw your own chair if you want! Who says characters don't have a special bag of chair holding! Who says they don't carry theior own custom chairs! Heck, we could write an entire scenario about the quest for a new chair!

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
The problem is that the PC graphic always appears on top of the terrain graphic. A sitting PC would look reasonable when facing southeast or southwest, but facing northeast or northwest it would appear to be sitting in midair behind the chair.

—Alorael, who still sees a solution. As long as all chairs cover the same portion of the PC's body and leave the same portion uncovered, the sitting graphic could simply have the chair removed and the terrain could include whatever chair you'd like.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3886
Profile #3
I do not agree. It is not a problem, because the chairs have only 4 possible orientations. So it would be possible to draw four positions. Because the PC graphic always appears on top of the terrain graphic, parts of the PC that must not be drawed, to create the illusion that PC is confortably sit in his chair. To draw that, a template with an "invisible chair" could be helpful. It won't be necessary more easy than with a real chair, but at least PC will be able to sit in any chair (wooden, mettalic, golden, etc.). The only limitation is, chairs will have almost the same shape. It would be more clever!

Please, report to Jeff, in case it is not too late!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
That's what I said, or tried to say. Jeff is unlikely to do it, but it's not hard for us to edit the PC graphics ourselves.

—Alorael, who has seen far more drastic graphic editing. If TM has his way, we'll all be playing with Rakshasi anyway.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #5
Perhaps there might be a way to implement it using scripts? Kind of like the way spell affects are drawn on top of the character.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
I doubt scripts would help in this situation. We just need to draw a graphic over the player. If I had my hands on a build of the engine, I could figure this out...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
Jeff did say he may make the editor code open source.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00