BoA Arena?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA Arena?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #0
What do those of us who've seen the editor so far (you know who you are) think about the possibility of a BoA Arena once it's released? How will things change? What kludgy fixes will need to be made? And will we ever be safe from the menace of Ablis?

[ Wednesday, December 31, 2003 12:14: Message edited by: USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
There will need to be some ugly workarounds, but it's certainly possible. You could purchase creature scripts with points, depending on what you want the monster to do. And there's a real option for immobility.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 1460
Profile #2
i'm sorry to ask but what is the areana. Multiplayer boa?

--------------------
If you don't drink milk from your mother, why drink it from a cow?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
It will be a community thing wherein players of BoA design monsters according to rulesets which change every season. These monsters fight each other, under computer control, in a tournament setting, known as the Arena.

There's also going to be an associated RP.

(It's going to be more or less modeled off of the Blades of Exile Arena, which, while drawing to a close, has been around for many years now.)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Drawing to a close? Why? Is it still going on, or has it stopped?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Well, as BoA becomes the dominant editor (which it definitely will), the Arena will use it.

Creatures are created in a Custom Objects script, which defines their attributes. The most important stat is level. 75% of the other stats are dependent on it. There can be six stat increases (of the stats PCs have).

Resistances are from 0-100 of the four from BoE, mental, and melee.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #6
I have a creepy feeling that this is going to be a lot more complex monster design.

EDIF: Drakey, how much more complex will it be?

EDIFx2: And will we allow custom scripts for monsters in the arena, or are we just going to use the prefabricated Spidweb ones?

[ Friday, January 02, 2004 09:27: Message edited by: Desert Plah ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
It's hard to quantify how much more complex it will be since by nature that is a qualitative thing. Suffice it to say that with scripting, it will be more difficult.

The people running the arena can make custom scripts for everyone's use, but not the actual entrants. Although it would be nice to have such a script contest, unfortunately it is all too easy to do things such as haste every turn, heal completely, and a whole host of other nasty things.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #8
Well, the idea that Drakey and I had (regarding scripts) pretty much is in line with *i's - if you want a non-default script, there will several available for purchase at the cost of points.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
Running matches and testing will be a lot more complicated, but actually submitting and designing shouldn't be too hard once we put a face on the numbers. The only thing that's a little difficult to understand is the effect of items.

--------------------
====
====
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #10
Oh boy. That's right, creatures can use items, right?

Edit: And how many useable items can they hold?

[ Saturday, January 03, 2004 09:07: Message edited by: Desert Plah ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #11
Can we buy a certain custom script that has abilities (hasting, shielding, healing, etc.) and then change the AI behavior (use ranged more than melee, run when this hurt and cast spells on last AP) for each match? You could announce which monster your monster would be up against ahead of time and we could submit our script changes with our imaginary little battle plans and, well, it would be quite interesting to see people's different strategies. Of course it does sound like a lot of work now that I've written this.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Perhaps we could have an AI arena running alongside the regular arena, where everyone is given the same or similar monster design but has to do the AI scripting for it themselves.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
Keep - switching guns based on your opponent has never been an Arena thing, basically - you'll probably be able to buy scripts that have you cause effects on yourself, but you likely won't be able to choose them before each battle a monster's in.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Perhaps we could have an AI arena running alongside the regular arena, where everyone is given the same or similar monster design but has to do the AI scripting for it themselves.
Some calls let you raise HP above the maximum. Others cause damage to people around you. You get 30000 HP monsters insta-killing other 30000 HP monsters.

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Well, obviously we'll have to root out and disallow anything unbalancing, but we'll have to do that with the regular arena anyway.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #16
And what would you consider unbalancing? 5mil HP armed with a Blade of 'Utter' Destruction?

Or better yet, 1 HP with a Wand of Automatic Regeneration.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
Maybe make the people script it themselves, but only allow certain commands in the script, that don't affect the environment or the character directly, but only the actions of the character. That would give people the opportunity for their own AI while still preventing abuse of certain commands such as instakilling or healing.

Hey, there could be several different extra contests for the arena. One that gives everyone the same monster to see which AI is best. One that gives every monster the same AI... maybe several of those, one for casters, one for archers, one for close combat, etc... :)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Warrior
Member # 3252
Profile #18
You could also make each submission subject to a reveiw process of some sort, to make sure that nothing ridiculous like the above examples has been incorporated.

--------------------
Learn About The Man Behind the Messiah.
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #19
All submissions are already reviewed to make sure they follow the rules, or at least they SHOULD be if SOMEONE *glance at Drakey* does his job correctly.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
Hey, I'm not arena authority anymore. And Thuryl messed up on level calculations last season too - it's not that easy.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3809
Profile #21
Dont feel bad Drake....we all know scripting is hard work after playing around all day. :cool:

--------------------
Hold fast young one, there is danger all about. He who holds the light of himself within will never shed light on anything, especially the evil minions that roam freely about at night.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #22
The Arena usually has a set of hard and fast rules, with point values and all that. I doubt BoA will change this; you aren't going to see 30000-hp monsters instakilling other 30000-HP monsters any more than you're seeing monsters with splitting or invulnerabi--

oh. :P

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.