Prepare For Glory!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Prepare For Glory!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
I'm done. There's no point making another one. I didn't even have any ideas for anything except the third Slith Homeland scenario, and I'm certainly not going to make that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I didn't even have any ideas for anything except the third Slith Homeland scenario, and I'm certainly not going to make that.
Why not?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
Because the community reaction to the preceding two was so poor.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #28
I would hardly call the response to Bahs "poor". While Exodus was perhaps not a wild hit, I wouldn't say it did all that badly either, after a glance through the CSR listings.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #29
My impression, as someone who has browsed many of the relevant topics and sites, but not delved deeply into any of them, is that people at large responded with mixed but generally positive feelings to the scenarios, which were clearly expertly crafted but frequently challenging and sometimes drawn out. Exodus drew more criticism than Bahs. But even those who were disappointed tended to praise Kel's work.

Unfortunately, among the designers, aka the "Blades community," several very vocal people were extremely nasty about attacking the scenarios, and basically acted like malicious jerks.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #30
Yeah, there was a few people who really mauled Exodus, to the point that even TM was appalled. I mean, yes, there was a few annoying spots in the scenario, but I half think that Kelandon was hazed by a portion of the Blades community.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #31
Kel - Delicious Vlish mentioned wanting to have characters play with martial arts skills in the Avernum 4 forum. Since there is limited ability for unarmed damage it would be how to add specific skills. Basically an enlarged Monastary of Madness where characters get to be monks.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #32
As was pointed out, I think you are wrong in thinking the whole community didn't like Bahssikava and Exodus. It is my experience, that one hears the complaining portion of a community more often than the satisfied portion, with good reason, too.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I'm done. There's no point making another one. ...
http://www.avernum.com/blades/workshop/contestresults.html

Getting 2 out of 3 top spots in the only BoA contest judged by a professional game writer who makes his living designing games like this is as high a praise as any designer can hope for.

Even Lyceum ratings, which represent opinions of only a small, albeit quite vocal, fraction of BoA players are very favorable to you. (You are one of only two designers with two scenarios rated above 8.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #34
I've noticed that some people frown upon scenarios based upon the Vahnatai, maybe Kelandon can prove them wrong.

--------------------
WWJD?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #35
Erm... What?

That doesn't even make sense.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #36
I'm thinking Kel's feeling disheartend after working so long and hard on Exodus to less than stellar reviews. It's got to be hard to be excited about something, work so hard on it, only to have it not strongly gratfiy the people for whom you were making it. It's also got to be hard to have your first album or two go platinum to have your next one barely make a dent in the charts. I think it's good for a man to face less than resounding success at some point, because it can help keep that edge keen. Perhaps Kel will be inspired to create something new again, as it all falls into balance and he is reminded how successul and appreciated he has been overall.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #37
I was thinking about why I make scenarios. Do I make hem for SW? Perhaps... Do I make them because I enjoy making them? Definetily yes. Here is also the answer to the question: Why do I take such amounts of time to complete my scenarios? Instead of rushing it, trying to get things released for the community, I do it slowly, and thus I can fully enjoy it. If I would be making scenarios for the only reason being that the community needs scenarios, I would have stopped long ago. So do I really care about what the community says? Only some of them. It's nice to hear what people have to say, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying working in it.

What I want to say with this, is that, if Kel is enjoying scenario making, eventually he probably will open that editor up again and start making new scenarios.That is, unless he is so bitter about this, that he won't think of starting again for ever, which I would find a bit... childish?

EDIT: The irony of the topic title and the actual discussion has just struck me.

[ Friday, April 13, 2007 22:19: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

What I want to say with this, is that, if Kel is enjoying scenario making, eventually he probably will open that editor up again and start making new scenarios.That is, unless he is so bitter about this, that he won't think of starting again for ever, which I would find a bit... childish?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

Maybe Kel has better things to do than design scenarios for a community that he doesn't feel appreciated by.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

Maybe Kel has better things to do than design scenarios for a community that he doesn't feel appreciated by.

Probably, yes, me too. I could do a dozen other things, but that's not entirely my point. What I want to say, is that if one enjoys something, nobody should make him stop doing that.

Let's say you have a garden where you grow your own vegetables. For some time, your tomatoes are very good, but then suddenly, you find one that is just not as good as the others, and people start making comments about it. In the end I would start gardening again, just because I liked doing it. But to stop gardening for ever, just because others said you are not capable or that your tomatoes are extraordinarily bad?

I understand his decision and I fully sympathise with it. The problem, though, is that the commuinty, in my experience, does appreciate his work.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
quote:

Probably, yes, me too. I could do a dozen other things, but that's not entirely my point. What I want to say, is that if one enjoys something, nobody should make him stop doing that.
What if what he enjoys is making things that other people enjoy? Do you think a doctor who quits his job because all his patients die should go back to being a doctor, because it doesn't matter what other people think of what he's doing?

quote:
I understand his decision and I fully sympathise with it. The problem, though, is that the commuinty, in my experience, does appreciate his work.
Well, that's a rather different argument from what you first claimed, and in any case it's not how Kel sees it.

[ Friday, April 13, 2007 23:36: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #41
I can't remember claiming that the community doesn't like his work. And you're right about the doctor part. But really, scenarios are not as vital as doctors are, you know.

Anyway, I think we should stop this discussion. know from previous experience how irritating it can be that people talk about you as if you are not present. yes, I know how hypocritical this probably sounds.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #42
quote:

Anyway, I think we should stop this discussion.
I agree. Die, topic, die.

IMAGE(http://www.freewebs.com/ephesos/Images/Misc/treelock.jpg)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages