Help with party

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Help with party
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #0
I am making a party on BoA for the first time.Can somebody tell me what a good party usually consists of?

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Firstly, you need at least one melee fighter. You can give her either Melee Weapons or Pole Weapons skill. Once her level gets into the high 20s or low 30s, make sure she has at least 6 points in both Melee Weapons and Pole Weapons so you can start getting Blademaster, which increases accuracy and damage with both melee and pole weapons. Strength is good for increasing your damage and carrying capacity, but Dexterity isn't very important; it's easy enough to hit reliably even without it. Assassination is very good, and only gets better at higher levels, but you don't need all that much; keep putting points in it until you assassinate most enemies most of the time. Endurance becomes increasingly important as you level up: you don't need any at level 1, but after gaining a few levels you should start investing in it. Defence is handy for lowering encumbrance once you start wearing heavy armour -- you don't want to lose AP. Special skills besides Blademaster aren't very important, although Quick Strike is decent if you don't mind investing a few points in Dexterity.

You're also going to need at least one mage and at least one priest. The more priests, the better: healing magic is cheap and effective. Mages are OK, but I don't find them as versatile as priests: Haste is always useful and Create Illusions is a powerful defensive spell at any level, but their attack magic becomes less cost-effective at higher levels as enemies get more HP and your damage doesn't keep up. Start your spellcasters with at least 5 points in Mage Spells or Priest Spells, so they get a good set of spells to start with. (Enduring Barrier is a lifesaver early on.) Intelligence is less important than you'd think: its main benefit is that it gives you more spell points. Spellcasters should normally be keeping their distance from enemies, so they don't strictly need Endurance, but it's useful in some scenarios where enemies don't just target your fighter.

Archery sometimes comes in handy. Making a pure archer is sort of a waste of a character, but it's a very good secondary attack form for mages or priests, since attack magic is so expensive that you won't want to use it all the time. Slings are a perfectly viable option: they do a little less damage than bows, but you never have to worry about ammunition. If you have an archer, make sure to put some points into Dexterity so you can get Sharpshooter.

I always like to use one fighter, two archer-priests and one mage-priest, but most people don't like archery quite as much as I do. There's a fair amount of room for variety in builds.

[ Friday, April 06, 2007 01:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
I agree with what Thuryl said, my party make up is usually warrior, archer, priest, mage. Or warrior, warrior, archer/priest, mage/priest. As magic becomes gradually less useful, you can always lean on archery for your ranged damage.

It kind of depends on the scenario. In Vogel's scenario, where you know you're going to be slogging through dungeons, I find two fighters to be worthwhile. In a TM scenario or any scenario where you expect your enemies to be capable of quickly killing you, the extra casters are more useful.

Also, most of the character traits are about useless. I'll make my pole weapon fighter a slith (although this is more out of habit than anything else, it seems to work) and natural mage is a must for mages if you're going to be wearing armor. Fast on feet is decent, but after that there isn't much. You're better off giving disadvantages where you can afford them, you'll level up rapidly.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #3
Thanks.

Also where can I get the papers that the vahnati asked me to get :confused: (I have the crystal and the stone)

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
The papers you're thinking of can be obtained from Pangle, a hermit who lives in a hut in the extreme southwest corner of the outdoors. Some arguing might be involved, depending on your tactics.

And for the record, it's appreciated if you let us know which scenario you're talking about. Fortunately, it's pretty obvious you're asking about Valley of the Dying Things.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
It usually helps to make mage/priest for two characters instead of having them as single classes. Redundancy is always helpful so you can pick the best spells from each class to use in any situation, Sometimes you want two attacks, two heals, or two of another spell in the same round before you can haste yourselves.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by The Gators Win it All....... Again:

Also, most of the character traits are about useless. I'll make my pole weapon fighter a slith (although this is more out of habit than anything else, it seems to work) and natural mage is a must for mages if you're going to be wearing armor. Fast on feet is decent, but after that there isn't much. You're better off giving disadvantages where you can afford them, you'll level up rapidly.
The nephil dexterity bonus is nothing to sneeze at though. It provides a massive boost to hitting things and also drastically reduces the chance of getting hit. My L50 Nephil has ~18 levels of dexterity, and I haven't invested a single skill point.

Divinely Touched is excellent in BoA too. It provides an immediate boost to Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence, which grows stronger as you gain levels. Furthermore, the Divine Intervention ability is fantastic no matter the level of the character. My fighter always has Divinely Touched, and he always does the most damage and dies the least of all my characters.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.