Looking into the future

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Looking into the future
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #0
With the 8th contest underway, it might be a bit early, but I've noticed usually there's a 'theme' contest between each annual contest. (1-10, DFTS, Pearl). Kelandon mentioned a thread that Ephesos suggested some theme contest, and with no other ideas coming out, we might be able to make it happen.

So anyway, I'd just like to collect the idea(s) and see if there's enough interest in such a thing. I'm up for running/administering this contest myself if it goes through, FYI. I've ran two rankings contests and I'd like to try my hand at running a small design contest.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
The idea that Ephesos had, and I think he was joking but I kinda like it, was this: make a scenario in someone else's series (or maybe at least someone else's style).

I just think that it would be hilarious for me to make an Echoes scenario, or for Smoo to make a sequel to Druids of Krell, or for Ephesos to make a Mike Slack scenario. :P

I don't know; maybe it could turn out poorly.

[ Thursday, December 14, 2006 15:45: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Well I can think of three possible outcomes:
1. Nobody takes interest and it is a failure.
2. People like the idea and there are plenty of entries, we all laugh and appreciate good jokes / criticism. Very nice.
3. People make plenty of entries, the result is deep splits and hard feelings among the community's designing community. People depart in anger; bringing the axe down on Blades' neck even sooner than previously forecasted. Massive failure. :P

I'd say lets go for it if nothing else is suggested. I'd like to suggest extending it to just general parody, where you wouldn't be limited to mocking blades scens, and could also mock other literature.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

...Ephesos to make a Mike Slack scenario. :P
Gah... there is no graemlin to communicate the rapidity with which I would leave the community if forced to do such a thing. :P

Anyway, I'm still convinced that a Blades version of NaNoWriMo could have some success. Just an ultra-short contest, really.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
After a conversation with Ephesos, and much deliberation, I've decided to withdraw my support for the Parody contest (That was a quick flip-flop.) I'd like to see another pearl contest, and was thinking somewhere along the lines of one month and a max of five towns.

Hopefully someone can top Kill Self Win Prize, awful big shoes to fill.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #5
The theme should be Rentar-Ihrno.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #6
Short Story Contest.

3 scenarios total, each having no more than 4 outdoor and 10 towns. All scenarios must exist within the same universe/plot thread, but not be continuations of each other (no chapter 1/2/3).

The idea is to tell a full story, but by using short stories. Allows for dimension.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

After a conversation with Ephesos, and much deliberation, I've decided to withdraw my support for the Parody contest (That was a quick flip-flop.) I'd like to see another pearl contest, and was thinking somewhere along the lines of one month and a max of five towns.

Hopefully someone can top Kill Self Win Prize, awful big shoes to fill.

I'm not sure what went on in your chat, but I'm certain that a "parody" contest would be taken advantage of and multiple bitter, cruel little works would be submitted.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
By Dahak:
quote:
Short Story Contest.

3 scenarios total, each having no more than 4 outdoor and 10 towns. All scenarios must exist within the same universe/plot thread, but not be continuations of each other (no chapter 1/2/3).

The idea is to tell a full story, but by using short stories. Allows for dimension.
Neat. It'd be better if you remove the 'can't be continuations of each other' criteria, 'cause that's what I'm doing now. :P Come to think of it, with one outdoor section and four towns (and one VTE), I fit in the 1/10 category as well. All I have to do is get off my lazy rear end and return to designing after a couple months hiatus. Again.
(That, and finals.)

I disagree with the idea of a comedy/parody contest as well, for reasons already stated. The BoE/AScenDesMo idea is cool. I'll just stand over here, crossing my fingers, hoping that the month picked doesn't overlap Crunch Time.

(By the way, I can't find what the rules for the Pearl contest was. Anyone care to elaborate/post a link?)

EDIT: Ah, thanks. Here I was, looking on the Lyceum.

--------------------
APL is a mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of the future for the programming techniques of the past: it creates a new generation of coding bums.
- Edsger W. Dijkstra

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 11:05: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
Dahak's idea confuses me, and I'm not quite sure I like it... I'd rather throw my support behind the NaNo ripoff contest.

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

(By the way, I can't find what the rules for the Pearl contest was. Anyone care to elaborate/post a link?)
Here are the rules, here is the initial discussion, this is Ash extending the deadline while nobody's working on anything, and finally, this is TM's victory thread.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
I like the idea of a simple Short Contest. 1 month, no more than 10 towns + 4 outdoor sections, best scenario wins.

I like it because it seems like the easiest way to draw in participants. With such a small time commitment and a cap on scenario size, just about anybody could participate.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #11
Hm, I was think that the person would have to make 2 or more. Short stories using the same plot thread/universe but not be consecutive.

Example:
Scenario#1 - Meet a new species
Scenario#2 - 5 years later you are fighting a pitched battle for survival
Scenario#3 - Rebuild a small town in the aftermath of the war.

All three deal with the same thing, but the PARTY is different each time.

The designer would sumbit all three and recieve an averaged score.

Or we can just require short scenarios.

Edit:
I said no continuations because then that would simply be a single scenario broken into multiple parts rather than each scenario standing on its own as part of a greater.

Edit2:
Or, we can pick a universe/thread and require everyone to make a short scenario revolving around that idea. All scenario ideas would have to be posted to the judge for review (to make sure it fits) before being created.

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 11:27: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
I strongly dislike the idea of requiring more than one scenario. It's hard enough to get people to make a single scenario, much less two or three, and we want participants.

The other idea is the same thing (basically) as a Pearl contest, to which I'm not opposed, but I'm not sure there's any point to it.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #13
I can see why the parody contest might not be a good idea. I'm in favor of another 1-10 contest (just thought of the idea yesterday), BoE got some decent scenarios out of that, and its easy. I think I know why the Pearl contest didn't go well, but I think we should run something easier before attempting it again. Plus, the 1-10 should be pretty new to most, as most of the people around today, including myself, weren't around for the original 1-10.

(I agree with Kel that requiring multiple entries is a bad idea, FYI)

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 13:15: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #14
I think Dahak's idea is good in theory, but don't think it would be practical. It could result in some interesting scenario series, but three scenarios is a lot of work. I wouldn't predict a great turnout.

What are the details for the 1/10 contest? 1 outdoors 10 towns?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #15
Bingo. And the first one went well in terms of scenario quality.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #16
So what are everybody's thoughts on deadlines? I personally don't mind when it is, but if there are people who want to participate who have particularly busy months coming up then when the contest takes place could be important.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
Alas, I won't be competing. The scenario I'm working on will probably be ten towns or so, but a lot of it is outdoors-based, with 6 outdoors sections.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #18
If I'm running this, which I most likely will, I'll start it after Contest 8 and make the deadline the end of March unless there are objections.

[ Monday, December 18, 2006 19:41: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #19
No objection here, Frostbite will be done well before that.

Quick head count, who at least plans to try and make an entry?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
I'd be in... I just need to start doing some preliminary work, then. To the Louvre!

(So, I guess I'd have to put my larger work on hold... drat.)

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #21
You might see something from me. You probably won't. I still have to make one scenario, let alone a contest entrant. :P

--------------------
The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own skull. He therefore approaches his task with full humility, and avoids clever tricks like the plague.
- Edsger Dijkstra

[ Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:35: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #22
I am interested. I would like to make a BoA scenario. I don't know if life would let me by March.

Possible move in January, trip to Nicaragua in February. Packing, unpacking, and major cleaning in between. I'll probably have to pass.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
I might.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #24
1/10...
Oddly enough, the specs for the scenario that I've been putting off working on...

Could this be divine motivation?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has made some wonderful air fresheners using peeled oranges stuffed in flasks from the lab...
Or at least, I hope they're air fresheners...

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.

Pages