ItSoD

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: ItSoD
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #0
No, it's not released yet, and until I find the time, probably won't be for a while.

I do, however, have some screenshots posted at my recently reformatted website. The link's in my sig, if anyone cares to look at it, and perhaps tell me how bad it sucks. :P

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Actually, it looks excellent. Nice work, Nemesis.

Oh, and about the sparkles... Eh, I don't know your abilities well enough to make any suggestions.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I don't know your abilities well enough to make any suggestions.
Substantially less than Kel's, TM's, Ephesos', Smoo's... errr... the list goes on. Newish designer, not much experience. I could post what I have so far so you guys can see, I suppose.

Thanks for the encouragement though.

--------------------

-Lenar

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Don't worry, you get better with time. Take me, for example. A couple months ago, I wouldn't have touched a creature script, but now I've made, in my opinion, three excellent creature scripts.

All it takes is practice.

EDIT: Posting it may not be a bad idea, but do it on a different thread, or in a PM.

[ Sunday, December 03, 2006 22:54: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
First off, it looks fairly good so far, Nemesis. I look forward to beta-testing it, though I could probably suggest a few things about terrain that I noticed in the screenshots.

Nioca, no need for the condescending attitude... not sure if you meant it that way, but that's what I saw.

Either way, the sparkles would be fairly easy. You'd just have to make a creature script identical to basicnpc, just putting a put_sparkles_on_char(ME, which_sfx, num_sparkles) in the start_state. Then, you'd probably want to add a counter, just so that the sparkles every turn didn't get distracting.

Hm... just so you know, the title on your page isn't working correctly... I see <FONT FACE> tags in it.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Nioca, no need for the condescending attitude... not sure if you meant it that way, but that's what I saw.
Yikes! That was supposed to come off as encouraging, not condescending!

quote:

Take me, for example. A couple months ago, I wouldn't have touched a creature script, but now I've made, in my opinion, three excellent creature scripts.
What I meant by that is that once you get used to how a creature script works, it becomes easier to make bigger and more complex scripts. That wasn't meant to be condescending, nor was it intended to sound arrogant.

Adding to Ephesos's advice, I'd suggest adding the put_sparkles_on_char to the attack state as well. That way, the creature will sparkle reliably in combat as well. Also, I'd suggest replacing the fields which_sfx and num_sparkles with the call get_memory_cell(0-9) instead of an integer. That way, a designer (such as yourself) can quickly modify the sparkle type and number by inputing the proper values in the memory cells.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on having the longest scenario acronym to date.

[ Monday, December 04, 2006 09:59: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #6
The sreenshots look good, though I'd suggest something to fill up some of that empty space(rocks, stalagmites, boulders.) Then again my own towns aren't perfect by any stretch.

Oh, and I really like that wizard color edit and the golem edit. I'll probably use them if you have no objections (and if the intended characters don't get axed.)

Nioca: Technically he's tied; The Cave of No Return is just as long (though most people would drop the 'T') And I'm sure there's a BoE scen with a longer name, though none come to mind.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #7
When exactly do you want your creature to sparkle? I have a creature script (at home, of course) that sparkles and heals itself with a certain probability in the START_STATE.

Actually, I prefer to not to use memory cell calls in my creature scripts unless it's something that changes from creature to creature in a certain scenario. It's a pain in the neck to manually set the memory cell for each creature. I think there's a way to set the default value, but it's been a while.

Instead, I just declare and initialize a variable at the beginning of the script, and use it throughout the script. It would be better if AvernumScript had macro capability, but whatever. That's going to be my little project this month.

(By the way, B2BotRS is a longer acronym, longer if you write it as BII:BotRS.)

EDIT: That'll work, but what I was thinking about was a way to set default memory cell values in the creature definitions in the *data.txt file. I think there is a way to do it, but I abandoned it because I was working with summoned monsters, and setting memory cells didn't seem to work for them.

--------------------
Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!
- Belkar (OotS #14)

[ Monday, December 04, 2006 11:33: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I think there's a way to set the default value, but it's been a while.
Simply initialize the variable with a value (short x = 7, short y = 12, short z = 9236, you get the idea.). If the memory cell is left at 0, then the initialized value is used. However, you can then set up a conditional in the INIT_STATE that if the corresponding memory cell is not at 0, then the memory cell's value replaces the variable's initial value. That variable is then used in place of the memory cell.

quote:
(By the way, B2BotRS is a longer acronym, longer if you write it as BII:BotRS.)
I was thinking BoA when I said this. Also, I usually refer to The Cave of No Return as CoNR.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
I'd suggesting using the Add Terrain Frills option ... blank cave floor is boring.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
Out of curiosity, what's the level range for this scenario? At a glance, it doesn't seem to be aimed at low-level parties.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #11
I checked messages at school, but I don't remember my password, so I had to wait on responses.

First off, thanks for the help and encouragement, guys. I'll definitely try the stuff with the sparkles. My initial aim was to make it so that the sparkles are always around the person, but if that's possible, I suspect that it would slow down the game a bit. If that's the case, having them flare up during an attack will be just fine.

Terrain frills. Right. I think I meant to do that before posting those pics, which is why I waited so long. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Nioca: Don't worry, I gotcha'. Oh yeah, and I'm not sure what I have the level range as now, but I think I've been setting it up for between level 30 and 50. That will probably change a little bit after I get feedback from beta testers, depending on how my estimates were.

Eph: Yeah, when I was doing the site I wasn't sure about putting a different font in the title; kinda teaching myself HTML too. Do you mean the bar at the top of the window? I'm not sure how to get rid of that, but I'll see what I can do. I just wanna make sure that the actual font can be seen on the website.

Laz: Feel free to use the graphics if you want to. Acknowledgement would be much appreciated though. :)

--------------------

-Lenar

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

Laz: Feel free to use the graphics if you want to. Acknowledgement would be much appreciated though. :)
Of course. I already put your name in the image title so I won't forget who made it when I write up the Readme.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Looks neat. I look forward to seeing it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
Quick question. What is the party doing in that cave in the first screenshot? Is it some sort of jail cell? Because it seems to me that they can't get out.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

Quick question. What is the party doing in that cave in the first screenshot? Is it some sort of jail cell? Because it seems to me that they can't get out.
You're just gonna hafta wait and play it to find out. Sorry I can't tell you more, and even more sorry that I don't have it for you to play already. Sorry it's taking so long, but just be patient. There's still quite a bit that I need to do with it, and not a lot of time to work with.

Meantime, there's plenty of other new (and better) scenarios to play while you're waiting. Unless you've already finished them, in which case you'd probably only get about an hour and a half of playtime out of mine anyway.

--------------------

-Lenar

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #16
Hey, don't talk yourself down. Yes, you won't be the best, but if you actually acknowledge that, then you will end up like -X-. And that is bad.

[ Tuesday, December 05, 2006 17:32: Message edited by: -X- ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

Hey, don't talk yourself down. Yes, you won't be the best, but if you actually acknowledge that, then you will end up like -X-. And that is bad.
Take your own advice. :rolleyes:

Just so everyone knows, I talk myself down to prepare you for the worst, just in case it is. :P

--------------------

-Lenar

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
Say, how are the sparkles coming along?

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #19
Okay, just opened it up. I haven't really had time to look at it yet, but here's a spare moment.

Here's what I had last time I looked at it:

// Cell 4 - Number of sparkle wanted on person, plus 1 (so for sparkle 0, Cell 4 is 1). If left at 0, no sparkle.
beginstate 4; //sparkles
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 0)
end();
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 1)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,0,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 2)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,1,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 3)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,2,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 4)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,3,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 5)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,4,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 6)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,5,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 7)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,6,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 8)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,7,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 9)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,8,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 10)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,9,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 11)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,10,3);
if (get_memory_cell(4) == 12)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,11,3);
break;
Everything else is the same as basicnpc. I plugged it in, but nothing spectacular happened. I'm about to try this again to see if it'll work differently now (don't know why it would, but what the hell).

--------------------

-Lenar

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
ME is a little odd -- it works properly as an argument for some calls and not for others. Try using my_number() instead.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
Um, does your character move at all? Because it seems to me that it would get stuck in a infinite loop on state 4. If so, the character wouldn't be able to move, fight, or do anything other than sparkle. On a related note, when using the end(); command in a creature script, the next time the script runs, it will run the last state it was in. Therefore, if the script ends in the START_STATE, it will restart in the START_STATE. If it ends in the sparkle state, it will resume in the sparkle state. Exceptions are the INIT_STATE, DEAD_STATE, and TALKING_STATE.

Also, an easier way to program the sparkles is:
if (get_memory_cell(4) != 0)
put_sparkles_on_char(ME,get_memory_cell(4) - 1,3);
It eats up less processor time that way. The only catch is if the designer enters a number higher than twelve, it can cause an error. Then again, that's the designers fault for not entering a memory cell value correctly.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #22
EDIT: Sorry for the triple-post. My internet provider is highly volatile.

[ Tuesday, December 05, 2006 21:49: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #23
Alright. I'll go try that now, since the last one didn't work.

--------------------

-Lenar

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #24
EDIT: See above post.

[ Wednesday, December 06, 2006 08:52: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Pages