Preferred Story Types

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Preferred Story Types
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #0
I've noticed that there are a few different kinds of stories that people choose to write in to their scenarios. I wonder what other people think...?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 26 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=eueOgJuQRAgp"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=eueOgJuQRAgp"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Surface world stuff that loosely refers to some distant Empire for patriarchal guidance. Lord Putidus does fall into this category, as do A Good Beginning and Rats Aplenty. Of course there is nothing else that ties those three together. Nothing at all.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Surface world stuff that loosely refers to some distant Empire for patriarchal guidance. Lord Putidus does fall into this category, as do A Good Beginning and Rats Aplenty. Of course there is nothing else that ties those three together. Nothing at all.
Play Roots. The only reason the Empire gets a mention at all is that a relatively militaristic government is required for the plot to work. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
I've heard rumor that the author of Roots is insane. Currently having bad time with another BoE scenario called Isle of Boredom. I should jettison it for Roots?

--------------------
quote:

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Ehh, if you're having trouble with IoBo because of the difficulty of the combat, you might want to hold off on Roots for a while. :P

(If you're having trouble with Isle of Boredom because nothing interesting seems to be happening, walk outside and rest for a few days before going back into town, and the plot will kick into gear.)

[ Friday, September 29, 2006 22:59: Message edited by: Anthropos Kakistos ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #5
I've no preferance at all, but personally I'm not going to use the Avernum world in any way really. I rather like using my own, not pre-done. So, if anyone thought otherwise and is now terribly disappointed, sorry. I haven't even finished my first one. :P

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
I prefer the type that is loosely based on the Avernum world. My scenario, Agadia Isle, takes place on an island 150 miles south of Valorim.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
I prefer references to the Avernum world just because I feel like I know something about the background of the scenario.

However, sometimes the tyranny of the empire and the struggles of random surface dwellers / avernites become a little too monotonous. Then a change of scene is welcomed.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
It doesn't matter to me at all, as long as the setting is explained and the plot makes sense for that setting.

Dikiyoba.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
Actually Thuryl, I got well past the 4 or 5 day limit. What bores me is the immense amount of land I have to cross to go from town to town in the poisoned land. BOORRRINNGGGGGG! Killing worms is no problem, but returning to the lich nest to rest up is agony. It makes me wish for something nice and compact like DwtD...

:)

--------------------
quote:

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
I agree with Diki, so long as the thing is well thought out and described, I care little about the setting.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
Option 2 if it's a small scenario, 1 or 3 if it's a large scenario. At this point in time I prefer 1 to 3, because you have the entire trilogy providing background spread over all facets, whereas type 3 tends to have highly developed background in a few areas, but little in others.

--------------------
Capital Punishment Bill Called "Death Oriented"
- Headline
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
I also agree with *i and Dikiyoba, though I have a slight preference for some Avernum tie-in. I like thinking that my party could have actually completed all of these quests without trans-dimensional travel.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
It really makes no difference as long as the scenario is well-designed. Although if it's a poor scenario, I prefer it to have no connection to Avernum/Empire at all :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #14
I agree with Drakey, although nowadays I prefer to design scenarios with no Avernum (well, in my case, Exile) tie in.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Actually Thuryl, I got well past the 4 or 5 day limit. What bores me is the immense amount of land I have to cross to go from town to town in the poisoned land. BOORRRINNGGGGGG! Killing worms is no problem, but returning to the lich nest to rest up is agony. It makes me wish for something nice and compact like DwtD...

:)

You can rest immediately outside the tower without the poison harming you.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #16
Hmm… this is interesting. I honestly expected to see more fans of scenarios that were based on Avernum sidequests and such.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge