Begginer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Begginer
Apprentice
Member # 6361
Profile #0
I just bought BOA and I want to Learn how to use the Editor. Does anyone know any good sites for just getting down the basics? also, good cookbook sites? thanks.

--------------------
You must be willing to protect yourself, and what you cherish, no matter what the cost...
-Murtagh
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...
-Anonymous

Giants like Karkus- overload 'em with informationan' they'll kill yeh jus' to simplify things.
-Rubius Hagrid
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You can find the Blades of Avernum Editor Cookbook here, and Kelandon's Designers' FAQ here. Both are helpful in different ways.

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 15:13: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
You may find it useful to wander through my links list. If it's on the web and it's useful, I try to have it linked there.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #3
If you had to ask how, forget it. You'll never figure it out. :(

And before you start bashing me for having an attitude, let me first say: it's only the cold, sad truth.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #4
I toyed with the idea of using the editor a little bit. I never even figured out how to make walls. 'Nuff said.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #5
We are pathetic people. :(

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
To be honest, the best way to learn to make BoA scenarios is the same as the best way to learn a language: immerse yourself in it. Read the scripts and open up the .bas files of scenarios you've played to see how they did things, and keep looking around until it all makes sense.

[ Tuesday, October 11, 2005 23:33: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I started with it with the idea: "I'm going to do soemthing new!" No idea what to do, no clear picture of a story to make, no nothing. I just started reading a bit of the BoA editor manual and plunged into making my first town. And there I am: 34 towns later (of which about 20 completed, also scripting) and 9 almost completed outdoor sections and I'm still not done. Its really fun and a nice thing to do in your spare time. I really enjoiy evry moment of it, even the scripting! In the beginning even calls like get_flag and set_flag and certainly the "if" calls really look terrible, but you'll get over it. And then POOF! You have a scenario! :)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #8
Well sure, you can make the terrain and towns first, then scripts, then check everything. Or, you can make a one-town scenario. One quest, one plot. Nothing fancy, not even difficult. Then you can play it through and see where you need to improve. Then you release it for beta and other people tell you were you need to improve. And that's how you become better.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty