It's been a while, but...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It's been a while, but...
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #0
I've got an idea for a disadvantage:
Racist.
Effect: A character will attack any non-(species of character)as they move past IF they are in mellee range.

And an idea for an advantage:
Spiritual.
Effect: Undead will do less damage to you, and you can do more damage to them. You are able to sense undead presence nearby, and your spell points regenerate faster.

Any further ideas will be posted here.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I assume you mean these to be character traits? Jeff won't program new ones. That's too much work with the engine.

—Alorael, who has a few problems with the traits as well. Racist is not well balanced and a nightmare to code and use, depending on how exactly it works. The engine also doesn't give any good way to "sense" undead.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #2
I thought when it came to undead that there was a flag you assigned to them. Like on some of the Exile games I thought there were weapons that did extra damage to certain types of enemies... like lizards.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
There is, so damage and defense would be no problem. Sensing just isn't covered by any code. It could be added, but Jeff is disinclined to do that.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the trait would balance very well anyway. In scenarios with undead, it would drop difficulty a lot. In scenarios without undead, it probably wouldn't be worth the penalty or wasted trait. And spell point recovery generally isn't a problem outdoors, while indoors it doesn't regenerate, period.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
I'll take this time to waste everyone elses with my stupid ideas that won't even happen anyway...

ok nevermind I won't. I can't think of anything. BUT, I think the Spiritual idea would work fine, minus the sensing and spell points recovery. The bonuses in damage and defense are enough. I don't see how that couldn't work. But the Racist trait just wouldn't be fun to play. I'm sure the XP bonus would be great, but I'd rather not suffer that.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #5
I don't suppose you could have it check for the spiritual trait when you enter a level and proceed to generate weaker/stronger undead according to it's value could you? :P
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
Hmm... you could I suppose, with scripts. Leveled monsters seem feasible to me.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #7
The Spiritual trait was a good one, too.

I have many ideas for items:
Armor: Embodyment of Armageddon:
Blocks 1-120 damage
8 points of encumberance
+ 1 AP
+ 6 strength, dexterity, intellegence
- 15% to be hit
+ 15% chance to hit

Shield: Wrist Shields
Blocks 1-20 damage
Can be used with 2-handed weapons
- 5% chance to hit

Bracelets: Crystal of time:
- 25% chance to be hit
+ 25% to hit
+ 2 AP

Bracelet of Slowing
- 20% chance to be hit
- 20% to hit
- 1 AP

Bracelet of Speeding
+ 20% to be hit
+ 20% to hit
+ 1 AP

What do you think?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
Good I guess. I'm not sure if you'll be able to make those Wrist Shields, but then again I don't know too much about the engine. We'll just have to see.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
I would never wear the Bracelet of Slowing, and if Avernum is anything at all like Exile, I would never wear the Embodiment of Armageddon, either. Both of them would make you suck.

...also, shields may make a comeback in BoA, since it may well not be a guarantee that the strongest weapons are two-handed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Anything that reduces AP is a very bad item in my books. Anything that raises AP is an extremely good item, and if you're throwing that many of them around you're going to make parties too powerful for any scenarios that aren't specifically designed along Doom Moon II lines.

—Alorael, who suspects the wrist shields are impossible. You can't wear a shield with a two-handed weapon. You could make it a bracelet instead, as it's on your wrist, but then you could wear it with a standard shield.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #11
Idea!!!!!!

Crossbow:
Apocolypse Crossbow
1-115 damage
- 15% chance to be hit
+ 2 AP

Downside:
Weighs 85 pounds, making it difficult to get a full set of:
Bolts:
Apocolypse Bolts
Every level you gain an extra 10% chance to hit and extra damage.
Extra damage vs. Living monsters, escpecially monsters larger than you.
1 pound each

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
That is even more overpowered. Anything that gives 2 AP is just sick. The damage is also sick, but strange. Why do all these weapons do damage ranging from one to a high number? Why not give it lower and upper bounds that are in the middle?

—Alorael, who is almost certain the first bolt ability is impossible. The second is unlikely to work.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
I agree with Alorael. I would much rather do 58-58 damage than 1-115 damage because of the reliability factor. (the average damage is the same, if you'll note)

Also, quick calculations will show that Zephyr's Apocalypse Bolts would do +500% damage at level 50, making them ever-so-slightly overpowered. :P
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #14
You act like you don't know of the 200 damage cap!

Here's an item you'd say is NOT overpowered:
Sword:
Pyyric Greatsword
85 pounds
20-40 damage
Two-handed
CURSED(OH-NO!)
+ 10 acid damage
- 5% chance to hit

A reliable sword...
Well, it would have to be your reliable sword if you equip it!

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #15
No, not overpowered. Kind of pointless, though. BTW, could you please start expressing damage in the A3 format, seeing that that's what it will probably be in BoA. i.e. X-Y + 1-Z per Level (STR + Skill for that weapon) Note that Y is usually a multiple of X, and Y/X = Z (This is the normal pattern. I do not know if it is a neccessary pattern.)
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #16
So in other words, we should just express damage as XdY + 1-Y per level? :P

EDIT : I'm hoping that the damage cap will be raised / changed / changable / what have you. Doing 199 damage with every single attack always always is annoying.

[ Monday, October 13, 2003 18:14: Message edited by: Imban ]
Warrior
Member # 1451
Profile Homepage #17
Knife of Butchering
Does 5-10 + 1-18/level
Anatomy +5

It'd have the pic of a regular knife, and for example placed in a kitchen in some dungeon. Most folks would miss it but some would notice it and have fun!

--------------------
I am pleased to make contact with your entities.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #18
I like the sound of the butchering knife

--My Idea--

Soulsucker- a set of clawed-gloves that drain life. (I'll add the damage thing later)
33% chance of lifedrain (Or is it health drain? :confused: )
2 handed weapon

I know that *I created phantom gloves in BOE with soulsucker ability. But I first made my soulsucker gloves a year ago using BOE.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I don't think life drain works by percent. It's based on a number like the other skills, but because you can never see it in your status screen you can never see what the formula for it is.

—Alorael, who remembers the draining on the Thirsting Blade from A3 v1.0 being extraordinarily high. It may actually be percentage, although it didn't seem to work out that neatly.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #20
How come everyone thinks of making purely beneficial items? It would be nice to have items that have good and bad in them, to actually have a decision in whether or not to use them.

Sword of Mutual Death
199-199 damage
120 lbs.
-4 AP
Slows User
Curses User
Cursed

Shield of Punishment
Blocks ALL combat damage
Each round deals you 5000 damage (to get you to zero) then heals you for 1.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
Hah... I like that shield. Sword, I would never consider using, but that's me. I wish I had time to come up with item ideas :(

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #22
Erm, that sword is worthless. Any effect to AP is a significant value modifier. If you give something a -4 to AP, it had better have some insanely powerful abilities to go with it. (Such as making the wearer effectively invulnerable.)

And Imban, the reason I did not state it that way was because I don't know that that is true. (I know of no exceptions, and I do not expect there to be any, but I could easily be wrong.)

[ Tuesday, October 14, 2003 13:26: Message edited by: Namothil ]
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #23
This'll probably be the only artifact I'd use out of what I've said so far IF I make a BoA scenerio:

Ol' Reliable
45 pounds
Does 25-60 damage + 5 damage per level of strength and mellee weapons skill.
Two-handed
+ 15% chance to hit
+ 5 acid damage
- 5% chance to be hit
CURSED(Hey, it's name is Ol' Reliable!)
- 10 Pole Weapons skill(You probably won't be needing that skill with THIS sword, anyway.)
+ 25 damage to undead creatures
Description:
An old and reliable blade forged in the Holy Mountains. When you touch it, you feel a tingling sensation which makes you want to use it in battle.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #24
- 10 Pole Weapons skill(You probably won't be needing that skill with THIS sword, anyway.)

The pointlessness of this modifier is pretty darn shocking. :P

Pages