Checking terrain outdoors

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Checking terrain outdoors
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #0
I would like to be able to find out the terrain/floor under a party when they are outside. The solution I thought was a combination of:

char_loc_x
char_loc_y
get_floor

But, char_loc_x and char_loc_y don't work outside.

-Is there a workaround to find out the floor/terrain under the party?

-Is there another way of obtaining a party's coordinates outside?

-Would it be possible to change char_loc_x and char_loc_x for the next release so they do work outside?

Cheers
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
Depending on what you're doing, might it be better to have an "outdoors town?" like in The Cave of No Return? Otherwise, I have no idea. The outdoor calls have no mention of this kinda thing, so I think you're stuck.

--Random Fact Number 12 - "Blur are much better than Oasis. So there Luke Elliot Smith."

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
This is incredibly inefficient, but... Have that one space set a SDF to 1, and all spaces bordering that space set it to 0. For rectangles, just have the whole area set the flag to 1 and have its borders set it back to 0.

[ Monday, October 11, 2004 12:24: Message edited by: Kurojutsu the Vampire ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #3
Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand how this will help. In the script I am writing, which is called by using an item, the terrain/floor the party is on affects the outcome, wherever they are outside.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
I know. What I'm saying is that if the floor you're looking for doesn't occur often enough, you can check if the party is on it by setting a flag to 1 and having all of the other floor types set the flag back to 2 by placing nodes all over.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #5
Thankyou, I understand now. Unfortunately this method is too ugly for what I am trying to create.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
If you explained exactly what you're trying to do, we could try to work out alternate solutions.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #7
Isn't there a way to check coordinates outside? char_loc_x/y doesn't work because there are no individual characters on screen. Just a party.

Could a group check or another function exist? I recall some method of checking the parties location.

Edit:
Nope.

[ Wednesday, October 13, 2004 18:01: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

If you explained exactly what you're trying to do, we could try to work out alternate solutions.
What don't you understand from my previous post?

On a different note, I asked Jeff whether changing char_loc_x and char_loc_y so they work outside was in the realms of possibility. He replied:

It's possible, I'll look at it. It would definitely have to be in a new
scenario format, though.

- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software, Inc.
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by demipomme:

What don't you understand from my previous post?
Why the method is "too ugly for what you're trying to create". You can have a different SDF value for every floor type if you need it. If you need even more specific control than that (what part of what floor), then it might be better to talk about what "feel" you want your spell to have (e.g. what sort of effects you want it to have ingame) rather than exactly how you envision it working from a technical perspective.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5044
Profile #10
Would this not require using the custom objects script to change every existing floor (all 130), so that a state is called, setting a SDF when the party walks over it? This would be impossible without tampering with the core data file as there are only 124 free floor slots. There are even less free terrain slots relative to the number of existing terrains.

The other problem is that as every terrain would be calling a script to change the SDF, it wouldn't fulfil its normal parameters, like lava being hot.

But I may be misunderstanding the use of SDFs, if so, sorry...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
You won't be using every floor type outdoors, will you?

And you can always tag something onto the script for things like lava and swamps to damage/poison the party as well. You can even have Pathfinder reduce the chance of harm occurring, just like BoA does.

[ Thursday, October 14, 2004 22:41: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------