Graphics from other games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Graphics from other games
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #0
I can't take graphics from other games like might and magic can I?
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #1
You can, but it's quite hard and.. well, illegal. ^^

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #2
That's what I meant. I know how to do it, that isn't the problem it's the bit about it being illegal that's annoying. Those graphics are perfect for the dialogue pictures.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
Nobody cares. Just do it and be done with it.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #4
It's not like they're going to do anything about it. They wouldn't waste their time and money trying to sue someone for using their graphics in a game that not many people know of.(No offence meant to the game)
Apprentice
Member # 4774
Profile #5
All of us who have used the editor know how much work it takes to put together something good, never mind excellent. Since our work is in the electronic medium, it is easily transfered and copied. Most of us do not mind if our work is copied this way, but some of us do. Artists are just the same.

Those who do creative work for a living would be more sensative to this than people doing it as a hobby. As Jeff how he feels about people copying his work and not paying for it. The only way to find out if the person who did the graphics you like will let you use them is to ask.

Why don't you email them and ask if you can use it? It is polite, shows respect for their good work and, if they say yes, is legal. This came up a year ago on the Shrapnel website and the artist actually came over and had a look at what people were doing. She was undertanding and pointed out that she had a website where somethings could be used and others could not.

If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If someone does good work, it is worth showing them respect.
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #6
I didn't think E-mailing them was much point but if you say it is I will give it a try, thanks.
Apprentice
Member # 4833
Profile Homepage #7
Usually the artist has sold his copyrights to the game company. That's how they earn their bread. So even if he says it's okay, it will be illegal.
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #8
Fine, then I won't ask I'll just use them like TM said and hope they don't notice or care.
Apprentice
Member # 4774
Profile #9
Usually he has sold the copy right, but not always. Further, he may have an agreement which allows limited use for non-commercial purposes. Emailing the individual might not work, but it might. Lots of things that are worth doing are hard and you might fail trying, but that does not mean you should not try.

The point is that is that just using it is almost certainly illegal and certainly impolite. Asking might make it legal and is a lot nicer. It is really a matter of style and how you want to be known in the world. Do what you think is right.
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #10
So who should the E-mail go to, the artist or the company using the art?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #11
The artist. The company is very unlikely to give you rights to their graphics if they own them, they paid for it. If the artist still has rights to the graphics, he/she is much more likely to let you use his/her graphics.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00