unidentified items?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: unidentified items?
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #0
i made custom items with my own graphics and want them to be unidentified, so that you have to go to the shop for identification.
my script looks like this:

begindefineitem 446;
it_name = "gem";
it_full_name = "Amethyst";
it_value = 50;
it_variety = 21;
it_floor_which_sheet = 518;
it_floor_which_icon = 0;
it_icon_adjust = 0;
it_inventory_icon = 1;
it_weight = 10;
it_identified = 0;
it_charges = 1;

but they are identified, when the party looks at them. the game tells me "item lore identified some items". is there a way to make my items be unidentified 'til the party goes to a shop for identification?

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The difficulty of identifying an item seems to be based on its value, or possibly some kind of value-to-weight ratio. Make it more valuable and it'll be harder to identify. You could also try making it lighter and see if that helps; I have a strong suspicion it at least has some effect. You can't make an item unidentifiable, though.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #2
ok i'll try this. would be nicer if you could adjust the hardiness of identification! but ok, i have to deal with it as it is!

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #3
Make some of the items cursed. Not necessarily negatively cursed. Cursed items are not identifiable unless you bring them to a store.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #4
now please tell me what a positive curse could be?

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #5
now please tell me what a positive curse could be?
edit: sorry for double-posting, unfortunately clicked twice on the same button! :(

[ Friday, August 27, 2004 12:15: Message edited by: bigblue ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Actually, that's a good idea. A curse basically has no effect on an item that you can't equip anyway, and it seems to prevent the item from being identified more reliably than anything else I know of.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
Curses are a good thing.

No, really, listen.

Imagine a uber-powerful sword, that's cursed. Imagine that it gives an advantage over a boss, or baddie. Now imagine that if you use it, you get cursed. Is it worth using it and saving others, or being stuck until you find a healer (which not all towns have)?

That kind of thing makes for a good scenario. It's similar to Drakey's article about good items. Throw in a few other twists, like you can only use it on one character, and once it's used your health starts draining, and it'll really make the player think.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
Morog's Scepter is cursed and it is a great item. A very powerful item that is cursed has a mind of its own and won't let you give it up. Stormbringer is a perfect example of a cursed item that has positive effects. :eek:

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
Sadly, that's old news.

Designers have been cursing powerful items for years.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00