A couple of graphics ideas, a couple questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A couple of graphics ideas, a couple questions
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #0
I think someone should make an actual ship graphic so we can have more than just rowboats on the surface. Also, a shipdeck battle terrain would be pretty sweet.

I need to know a few dates from some of the veterans.
1. What year was Hawthorne assassinated?
2. What years did the Empire War against Avernum begin/end?
3. What year did the plagues on the surface start?

Thanks a bunch for your help. :)

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
To the graphics:

THANK YOU for mentioning this! I was entirely planning on using these such graphics in my stuff, so I was planning on making some. But if someone else, that's better than me, wants to make them I'd be happy to let them. :D

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3251
Profile Homepage #2
Seriously, adding swashbuckling-on-the-high-seas excitement would be too awesome! Man, there was this neglected, old NES game (to be fair, it was neglected because it came out after SNES did :eek: ) simply called "Pirates!" that was an RPG- of all things- where you sailed around until you met another boat (enemy or otherwise ;) ). Then the game went into battle mode and the two ships fired at eachother. Winning at this type of combat proved impossible, but what was awesome was crashing into the other boat. If you did this, a picture of you with your flaming boat behind you would come up and a subtitle that read something like, "You gallantly board their ship. Prepare for hand-to-hand battle!" Then you'd get to sword-duel the captain and if you beat him before all your crew were killed, he'd surrender and you'd still win.

Maybe if this was done in BoA, it would be best to skip straight to the boarding fight when another ship met you in the water. Raga! :D

--------------------
...and all was laid to burnination...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Aarrow Swift:

I think someone should make an actual ship graphic so we can have more than just rowboats on the surface. Also, a shipdeck battle terrain would be pretty sweet.

I need to know a few dates from some of the veterans.
1. What year was Hawthorne assassinated?
2. What years did the Empire War against Avernum begin/end?
3. What year did the plagues on the surface start?

Thanks a bunch for your help. :)

1) I'm pretty sure it's either 816 or 819 :P

2) 820/821

3) 825

[ Monday, August 18, 2003 00:44: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
OR... if you have a decent computer... you could try "Pirates of the Caribbean" (the game, not the movie). It's great fun, and I just beat a few days ago. I'd definatly give it 10/10.

And leave it up to Drakey for the dates... :rolleyes:

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #5
What makes ship-graphics hard to make is that neither BoE or BoA approve of round walls. Oh well, of course whan could make a ship like this..

I
III
II II
II II
II II
II II
II II
II II
III
..but uhh, it wouldn't be so cool, ehh?

To make the ship look actually like a ship, we'd need walls that go 45 degrees (or whatever, I'm no good in maths and such like)..

[ Monday, August 18, 2003 07:21: Message edited by: 10 Kiloa Rautanauloja ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Like the walkway tiles? But ships are going to be too infrequent for Jeff to be programming some automatically changing tiles like for the walkways, and making custom graphics for every single of these terrains would take a lot of terrain slots - are those going to be increased in BoA btw, or do we still struggle around with 255 terrains, 165 of them editable?

Drakey, I looked over my site again, which is, after all, made up of info that you guys gave me. ;) I found that Hawthorne had a reign from 791 to 822. Presumably, 822 would be the year of his assassination.

About the Empire War, I don't see anything precise in there, but 822 would have been the earliest possible time for it to start, and at 826 (Prazac's ascension to the throne), I guess it would already have ended long before. So I'd say 822/3 to 824/5. It seems long in Avernum 2, but it really is just a few years.

The Plagues: At about 833, the player starts the expedition to the surface in Avernum 3. The plagues would have been firmly in place before then. However, since most people (apart from 'Worm War' veterans who'll attack the party on sight) don't believe Avernites to be responsible, the time that has passed between the Empire War and the Plagues must be large enough for there to be no direct connection. Drakey, are you sure the Plagues came *before* Prazac became empress?

[ Monday, August 18, 2003 09:43: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Stupidly, I didn't even look at the Avernum games. I'd amend them to 822, 823, and 830.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #8
So, noone would have a problem if I said Hawthorne was assassinated in 822; the war with Avernum began shortly after, ending in late 824; Prazac's ascension to the throne was in 826; the plagues started in 830?

Who was the interim ruler of the Empire? Garzhad? Howar?

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
Don't take this as correct, but I would say there was political unrest in that period. For a scenario's sake: warring houses anyone?

[ Tuesday, August 19, 2003 16:29: Message edited by: [E.E.P.] Karzoth ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Prazac was deemed too young to rule and Garzahd ruled in her stead.

--------------------
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #11
Well there ya go.

So that makes Prazac how old during A3?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
In her 20's.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
Quite wise for that age, then. :P

What kind of government did Garzahd make? Was he just like the other monarchs? And was he an usurper, or did the nobles and others acknowledge his temporary rulership in place of Prazac?

Also, I heard Garzahd was a bit cracked; did he rule by whim or something?

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #14
Ever played Avernum 2? ;)

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #15
Garzahd ruled the Empire? Well all canon evidence supports more that Garzahd was never the official the ruler of the Empire. He was definitely their head military and arcane leader, but I don't think you ever hear the term "Emperor Garzahd".
If you look at the set of statues in one of the Empire Fortresses in Avernum 2 (I think it is Fort Kolthtar, but don't take my word on that) it suggests Empress Prazac ascended the throne almost instantly after her father's death, and definitely states she was ruling by at least the time of the war.
(Side note - can anyone one explain how a person can "rest powerfully" as stated on the statue of Hawthorne? I guess if one snored really, really loud, but... that doesn't typically involve the dead, does it?)
Besides, Garzahd was an even greater psychotic crackpot than Hawthorne. Sure, he might have slaughtered thousands and exiled many more to Avernum, but at least Hawthorne didn't go and turn himself into a demon. Sure, the Empire hadn't always produced decent leaders, but I severely doubt anyone would want Garzahd in charge. Both Garzahd and Hawthorne were nuts, but at least Hawthorne wasn't a hellbent archmage.
And once more, with a mindset like his, he was probably far more preoccupied with revenge than ruling. Even the small glimpses into his existence in the first Avernum showed he was eager to go all Hitler on Avernum even then. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me that Garzahd would have been put in charge of the Empire as a whole.

--- Your Avernum Historical scrutinizing maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
To be honest, answering an earlier question: I only ever played the demo of that one, which leaves you stuck in the Vahnatai caverns because the teleporter back up doesn't work (the ToM is out of bounds in the demo).

You can fool around with the editor and move to the starting town, and then explore a bit now the barriers are down, but you don't learn much.

Was Garzahd a demonologist, and is this why everyone keeps describing him as a madman? I'm not going to buy a game just to find this out, you know... :P

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #17
I too have always considered him a madman. I can't explain why, either. My mind just made him out that way.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Prazac was considered Empress immediately after Hawthorne was assassinated, but Garzahd controlled the Empire and the war effort.

--------------------
====
====
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #19
Avernum 2 is I think the best game in the Avernum series, it would be a good buy. At any rate, it seems odd to me that Prazac would be so nice to Avernites yet have led her armies to war against them just years before. Maybe she came to power not long before peace?

--------------------
Polaris Board
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
I don't think even a juvenile Prazac would have led the Exile/Empire War, which was mostly a mindless vengeance mission, something Prazac proved she was wise enough to avoid in Avernum 3.

If Prazac was considered Empress, was Garzahd her legal guardian or something, ruling as a steward? And did no one know that he was deep into demonology and had basically gone crazy?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
I would consider him not so much 'legal guardian', but more of a right-hand man. A "Royal Advisor" if you will. Also, demonology would definatly be his leading cause of insanity. Hell... look at Linda...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #22
Maybe Garzahd was similar to Jafar in the Aladdin movies. He could have put a 'spell' on Prazac to make her more compliant.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #23
Ah. A worthy idea. That could work entirely.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #24
We should probably come to a consensus about this, and perhaps announce it somewhere, as to avoid conflicting scenarios. I like the compliance spell idea.

--------------------
Polaris Board

Pages