Calls that we wish existed (part two)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Calls that we wish existed (part two)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
I think it is time to bring this back, now that Windows users have gotten a chance to see the BoA system. The final results from the old one are here.

Remember, the ideal calls to suggest are easy to implement and powerful once implemented. I don't think Jeff is going to do too much more to BoA in order to increase its capabilities, so we should keep these relatively mundane.

I still wish we had numeric input and missile animations. They are both simple. Numeric input is a short that requests a number from a player. You could save it as an SDF or a variable or whatever else you want to do with numbers. Missile animations would work much like the other animation calls right now, but they would send a missile animation from one spot to another. The calls would look like this, maybe:

void put_missile_animation(short source_x,short source_y,short dest_x,short dest_y, short which_animation)

short request_number()

I also wish we had a is_beam_on_space(short loc_x, short loc_y) that would return a 1 for yes, 0 for no, in order to make controlling beam projectors and mirrors and the like easier. Then again, I'm probably just dreaming with that one.

Others?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #1
The ability to get terrain properties.

i.e. in a terrain script, you put is_open_door = 1;

And the part of door.txt that checks to see if it's open could be replaced with if (get_terrain_flag('is_open_door')) { // ...

get_terrain_flag(property_name);, where the terrain it got the properties from would be the terrain the script was placed on. etc.

[ Friday, July 02, 2004 12:35: Message edited by: Shining Lightbulb ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Nothing else? Really? No one has other calls that they'd like to see thrown in?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #3
I would like to see, well, not really calls, but just be able to define more stuff in custom objects scripts. I wish weapons and missile weapons could call scenario state when you attack with them. I also wish you could define custom fields and make custom sparkles and missile animations. That would allow designers to make much cooler items in their scenarios.

EDIT: Custom PC graphics would be dandy as well.

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 19:25: Message edited by: Prophet_of_Doom ]
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #4
This isn't a call, and I think somebody already requested this, but...

I'd really really really like to see item descriptions. We already have string properties for objects of all kinds - why not descriptions? There's even a spot for them on the item info dialog already; just have them replace the "This is an Object. It weighs 5 pounds." message, if they're set. And maybe have one description string for identified and one for non-identified.

The underlying framework is already there. It just requires a few small changes and additions here and there, and I for one would LOVE to be able to set item descriptions. And I'm sure every other scenario designer out there would as well.

Please, Jeff? Pretty please? :)

[ Monday, July 05, 2004 01:28: Message edited by: Flamefiend ]

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #5
I for one would really like #defines.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Jawaj:

Same here.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Apprentice
Member # 4362
Profile #7
Something I mentioned some time ago; the ability to change player character's graphics, temporarily of course. It would make some of the stories I want easier to tell, and I think better overall.
Apprentice
Member # 3857
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Jawaj:

I guess we could just use any c preprocessor, GNU for instance.
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #9
I want Item Desciptions. It would improve the game very much.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #10
Another call I would like to see is
short char_has_item_in_slot(short which_char, short_which_item, short_which_slot);
You would also be able to put -1 for which item, in which case it would check for any item. This could sort of supercede char_has_item_of_class_equip, and that way you could check if a character has a weapon equipped, even if it came from another scenario.

[ Tuesday, July 06, 2004 05:26: Message edited by: Prophet_of_Doom ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #11
I'm hoping that eventually there will be more calls to control light, and the time of day (night, day, etc.) It just seems like that aspect (which could be very useful in designing) is almost entirely uncontrollable. What if I want time to stop, or for night to last for an eternity? The scenario Nightfall (at least I think that's what it's called) for example, would be impossible to import.

If we were granted enough control, I could make a piece of equipment that glows... I can see it now... "Gandalf's Lamp Post Staff +3"

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
Actually, you could implement Nightfall - make it take place in caves, but with outdoor terrain... :P
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Yeah, lighting control would be nice. We were told that such a thing would be possible with scripting.

EDIT: I'm faking numeric input with HLPM v1.0.3 (not yet released), so I withdraw that request. I'd still really like to see missile animations, though. From the old topic, set_year and approach_location would be nice, too, the former much more so than the latter.

[ Tuesday, July 06, 2004 09:52: Message edited by: Just Call Me Kel ]

--------------------