Town Entrance

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Town Entrance
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #0
First of all, I am a complete newbie. Remember that. Anyway. In my first test scenario thing I've got a dungeon surrounded by trees to the north and south, and open to the east and west. Exiting to the north and south is impossible, and exiting to the east and west brings me right where I want it to. The problem is that entering from either direction brings me to the east end of the dungeon. I've got my east and south entrance markers on the same square in the east of the dungeon and the north and west entrances in the west end. The problem is one-way; entering from the east brings me to the east, not the west, although entering from the west brings me to the east. I've set town exits manually in Town Details and all that, and it's still not working. Help, anyone?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 3618
Profile #1
See "Determining Town Entry Direction", in the Editor Docs pages 34-35.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #2
I tried. I specifically set the coordinates and all. I didn't see any white rectangles (the town entrance is one square), but I did set the coordinates, and it still doesn't work.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #3
As the manual ambiguously says, 1x1 town entrances behave in "tricky" ways when assigning a direction to the party. (And in my experience, 2x2 proves equally as tricky.) If the manual's example is to be trusted, the game's four step system for arriving at that direction is adapted a little too well to a 3x3+ square. In your case -- at least if my tinkering is anything to go on -- the difficulty may not lie along the east-west axis; rather, it may lie in the game's criteria for differentiating between west and south (and south = east on your town map). South is the first direction the game checks; thus, in the case of a 1x1 entrance, it is more likely than west to be awarded entrance honors (even on a 2x2 entrance, south tends to trump west and east). I could easily be wrong, because I don't really grasp what the game tries to do with a 1x1. Try putting N-S-W together in one place and E together in another, and see whether that doesn't appear to make west its old self.

[ Sunday, April 04, 2004 16:48: Message edited by: Boots ]

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #4
N-S-W (W) + E (E) causes the reverse of my former problem - both entrances lead to the west side of the tunnel. N-W (W) + S-E (E) causes the old problem, as does W (W) + N-S-E (E). For some reason, the normal setup, N (N) + E (E) etc. makes the party start in the south when coming from the east or west. S (E) + E (N) + N (W) + W (S) is the same old problem. I'm at a loss. Ideas, anyone? Would making the entrance 3x1 help, do you think?

EDIT: Never mind, it doesn't.

[ Monday, April 05, 2004 17:56: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Apprentice
Member # 3618
Profile #5
The manual is completely clear, but I'll spell it out for you.

First. The only thing that matters is which (outdoor) square the party steps on, not which direction it's moving when it does so.

Stepping on a square on the southern border of the town result in entering from the south. Thus, 1x1's, 3x1's, and any other single-space-high town shapes will have only one entrance.

Stepping on a square that's on the western but not southern border results in entering from the west. Stepping on a square that's on the northern but not western results in entering from the north. Stepping on a square that's not on the southern, western, or northern border results in entering from the east.

What you want to do is make the town entrance 2x2, including the row of trees just south of the actual town. That way, entering from the west will be treated as entering from the west. Entering from the east will be treated as entering from the north.
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #6
Hmm. In the interests of wasting more of my time, I just tried that. Result: NO western entrance anymore. Only north and south.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #7
I had the same problem. What you have to do is...

Make your town entrance at least 3x3, then you can enter from all directions.

If you don't want certain sides to work, all you have to do is either block your town's sides, or set the internal town entrances to different places.

Hope that helps;

~ Archmagi Micael ~