what the heck?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: what the heck?
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #0
i just finished diplomacy with the dead, i download the scen editor open the manual and fall apart by 1.4
WHAT
THE
HECK
it is EXTREMELY hard to understand that damn guide! i didnt understand A_N_Y_T_H_I_N_G...anyone wanna clarify?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Reading the docs straight through is hard if you don't have any BoE or other programming experience. My suggestion is to read a piece of the docs and then open up the editor and play around with it for a bit, and then read more of the docs, and then play with the editor, and just keep alternating between them. It takes a lot of time, but you won't get quite as frustrated.

Oh, and use the editor to look at VoDT. Jeff has pretty good commentaries on what's going on in the scripts there, so you can sort of see how it all fits together.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
I suggest going beck to section 1.1, rereading it, and going through all the steps in it.

Scenario design is not easy, not at all. It's a complicated system. But it is possible, with not much work, to make simple scenarios. Go back to the step by step guide in 1.1 and work through it. Make simple scenarios and play through them yourself for fun for a little while. Only then, when you're comfortable with the basics, move to the scary stuff beyond.

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #3
If you don't understand something, re-read it and try experimenting with it in the editor.

Also, I recommend skipping the part about creature, terrain, and item scripts until reading the basic scripting part. That's what I did.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
I, personally, have a small tutorial scenario I made for myself to test the calls in.
Avernumscript isn't easy, but if you bash your head for a long while (and you will), you'll get it eventually. Knowledge of basic algebra, booleans, and at least one other scripting language help here. (Walking into this I was vaguely familiar with Javascript, so it wasn't as difficult as it could have been.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #5
I'm very familiar with PHP, vaugely with JavaScript, even vauger with C, so I picked up Avernumscript easy as pie.

As for maths, I find it totally unrelated to my scripting ability.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #6
I only have experience of BASIC, but avernumscript doesn't look too hard. The maths and boolean stuff i've been doing for years anyway.

--------------------
formally Brenitt-Ihrno

I'm a very irregular poster, don't mind me.

Join me, people

NFC FOREVER!!!
Apprentice
Member # 4127
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Snuff ling kin:

As for maths, I find it totally unrelated to my scripting ability.
Depends on what you want to do. A lot of simple scripts can be written without much math.

However, much more complicated scripts like ones I have been doing in the Monsters thread do have quite a bit of math, such as probability and modular arithmetic.