The next Scenerio Design Contest?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The next Scenerio Design Contest?
Apprentice
Member # 7200
Profile #0
I am Wondering, When is the next Scenario Design Contest, If there is one?
If there will be, I am happy to Download the next winning Scenario.
And I hope Someone else rather than Kelandon and Terror's Martyr will win. Kelandon and Terror's Martyr are much Popular. I'm not saying anything offensife or anything but I said I hope. :) ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool: :P

--------------------
We People are So mad about scripts we ought to rewrite them all to the better.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Well... thank you for sharing. The next Scenario Design Contest will be judged in November 2006, and a number of people have already complted works, with a few more scenarios in testing stages right now. And then there's a bunch of us who still have works in progress.

I personally hope to at least compete with TM and Kel, but I'm relatively certain that Exodus will simply eat everything smaller than it and win by default.

I don't suppose you'd actually be working on a scenario yourself?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 7200
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Well... thank you for sharing. The next Scenario Design Contest will be judged in November 2006, and a number of people have already complted works, with a few more scenarios in testing stages right now. And then there's a bunch of us who still have works in progress.

I personally hope to at least compete with TM and Kel, but I'm relatively certain that Exodus will simply eat everything smaller than it and win by default.

I don't suppose you'd actually be working on a scenario yourself?

Well, I might, But I Just want to See the Scenarios.
I've already gotten the BoA Scenario Editor and Some Text Coding Freeware and Thinking If I should make a Scenario. But I hAVE a Question, Are Scenarios hard or long to make? ;) :) :P :cool: :rolleyes:

--------------------
We People are So mad about scripts we ought to rewrite them all to the better.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Yes, creating scenarios takes a long time and requires a lot of effort. That's why you should start with a very small and simple scenario. And since it doesn't sound like you are familiar with the BoA Editor, try to create a working town or working dungeon before you try to create a scenario to get used to town design, scripting, dialogue, etc.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #4
The Scenarios are Split into different Categories. Are you Saying that Your scenario is in the same Bracket as Kelandon's? ;) :P :confused: :eek: :cool:

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #5
Also, BoE and BoA will be judged together as well (meaning you will have to get BoE to get the winning scenario if a BoE scenario wins). I'm rather looking forward to this, because it will be the first true battle. I'm not sure how well Exodus will do, myself, since the contest is being judged my senior members, who haven't been that impressed with Bahss.

Here are the scenarios that are likely to be in the contest:

Perfect Forest - *I, 2004, BoA
Babysitting - Khoth, 2004, BoA
Nephilim Mystery - Seletine, 2005, BoA
Proving Grounds - Michael Slack, BoA, 2005
Magus of Cattalon - Smoo, 2006, BoA
Final Spire - Bain-Ihrno, 2006, BoE
King's Favourite (unreleased) - Gizmo, 2006, BoE
Exodus (unreleased) - Kelandon, 2006, BoA
Dilecia - Lazarus, 2006, BoA
Where the Rivers Meet (unreleased) - Thralni, 2006, BoA
A Good Beginning - Nikki, 2006, BoA

This list only includes the scenarios that I think have a good chance of making it to the contest according to the progress I heard (aka in beta phase or close to it).

EDIT: Scenarios are split up based on size, if I recall correctly

[ Tuesday, August 08, 2006 16:24: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
I really can't stand having BoE and BoA judged together. I suppose it's necessary, assuming that we don't have enough scenarios to judge them independently, but I think it allows the judges' biases to take control much more than it should.

And, as I keep repeating, Exodus will not be much like Bahs. I liked Bahs for what it did, but I have no desire to make another one.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

You have no idea. If size (of good or better quality) was a contest-winner, Emulations would not have beaten AC3. Quintessence would not have beaten Spears or AC2. Falling Stars wouldn't have beaten At the Gallows.

Plus, keep in mind that most of the longer-standing members of the community at The Lyceum (ie, those who will most likely be judging) have preferred MA to Bahss. (Heck, some of 'em have preferred DoK to Bahss.)

Olympia isn't always fair, but it's more fair than the Vogel family.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #8
Will there be separate judging categories for BoE and BoA? And will there still be Best Newcomer and other traditional categories?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #9
WtS: No, not that I'm aware of. It will just be the standard catagories.

Kel: I acknowledge Exodus is different, I'm just trying to tell people to watch themselves before saying "Kel will win by default!". Once the five unreleased scenarios are, then we can really place money on who will win.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
Alright, fine... I stand corrected. What I meant to say was that the contest probably won't surprise anybody... Kel and TM vying for first, and a bunch of honorable mentions.

And for the record, I still have a scenario that has a great chance of making beta within a month.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
It's also worth noting that no one has ever won two consecutive annual scenario design contests, not even Alcritas.

EDIT: You know, if all of those unreleased scenarios actually do get released, we'd have enough scenarios to have a three categories: BoE scenario, small BoA scenario, and large BoA scenario. Then we could take the winners and judge them together. I'd much rather that than judging BoE and BoA together right away.

[ Tuesday, June 13, 2006 05:59: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
Three scenarios for BoE seems a little harsh. (If I chip something in, it will be four, which is still a diminutive number.) In fact, splitting BoA into two categories also seems harsh.

I guess the way I'd do it is like this... There would be five categories: Best BoA Scenario, Best BoE Scenario, Best Large Scenario, Best Small Scenario, and Best Newcomer. A scenario automatically gets two assignments (BoA or BoE, Large or Small), and gets Newcomer if it qualifies. If a scenario is a finalist in any of the above categories, then it moves on to Best Scenario.

This way, people with pro-BoE or pro-BoA sentiment don't necessarily harm the chances of a scenario. Same goes for size.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #13
I like that model. Also, I'm working on a small BOE scenario that I might actually finish, so slightly more than four.

(Nice .sig, by the way :P )

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

And for the record, I still have a scenario that has a great chance of making beta within a month.
I hate self-quoting, but my laptop died roughly two hours after I posted this, quite possibly taking a month's worth of work with it. I swear... Embers of Rebellion is cursed.

That said, I can't bring myself to go back and re-do the work I lost until I know whether or not I actually lost it... the hard drive might be intact when I get the computer back, depending on what needs to be replaced.

So, in the mean time, I might actually take a fresh look at DoK2.

Irony bites.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #15
Are there any important rules in this contest?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
You can't enter a scenario that was part of the first contest. You can't enter a plagiarised scenario.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

You can't enter a scenario that was part of the first contest. You can't enter a plagiarised scenario.
Blast. So much for my planned debut, 'Tulips of Reckoning'.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #18
Yes, I'm bumping an old topic, but something came to my head that I just need to get out. I am thinking that Best Scenario Judging should be judged like the Shark contest (i.e. ranking and discussion/debate on which scenarios should be placed where, rather than numerical scores), but only Best Scenario judging.

I think this because this way, the results will be based more on how good a job the designer did, rather than how much the judge liked it personally. The results will be more fair, plus it helps squash BoE/BoA bias.

The reason I suggest keeping numerical scores is because right now, I'm not sure if preliminary debating is really worth it. I'm not against it, but I'm not arguing for it either.

As for preliminary judging, I love TM's idea here.

And no, I'm not making this proposal for the purpose of giving my scenario a better chance of winning. :P

What do you think?

[ Tuesday, August 08, 2006 16:20: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
I like the discussion idea... anything to crush the bias is good.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #20
I'd personally prefer anonymous scores. This would (in theory) work against bias originating from social relationships.

In my opinion, the fact, whether people (even individual judges) like the scenario or hate it, should indicate - at least partly - whether the designer did a good job or not.

I won't be able to be a judge, I won't have the time. These are just my thoughts.

TM's preliminary judging idea sounds okay.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
I'd also prefer that the judging forum remain hidden from the general public for much longer; releasing the scores and comments immediately seems a little frightening. I'd much rather that we wait a year after releasing the results before opening up the forum to the public (or something like that).

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I'd much rather that we wait a year after releasing the results before opening up the forum to the public (or something like that).
Isn't a year a bit long to wait for justification of a victory, much more so a defeat?

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
...frightening?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Meh, I guess it doesn't really matter in this community. We say horrible things about each other's work all the time without regard to how rude or stupid we sound. (And I don't mean constructive criticism.)

In a normal situation, I would want to be able to speak freely in a judging forum and would figure that immediate release of the comments would impair that, but here, I guess the judges can speak freely anyway, since we don't seem to care if people read even our harshest criticisms.

I suppose I retract my statement, then.

--------------------

Pages